• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Techie Talk

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thanks Curtis, maybe it will clear up tommrow. just didnot know if its something i did of what!

This old dog needs help with a new trick...

While online last night, I inadvertently pressed some key or keys that caused the browser (IE7) to go full screen, "hiding" the banner, menu bar, button bar, etc. When I move the pointer to the top of the screen, an abreviated version of the banner, menu bar, etc, drops down, but it's very minimal (not all options are visible).

I "think" it happened when I was trying to type numbers from the top row on the keyboard - apparently my fat fingers hit some combination of Function keys, but I can't "undo" it. I know it has to be a simple solution, but I can't figure it out. (I know - if I can't find a simple solution, how simple must I be...!
bash.gif
)

I've shut down the computer and rebooted it, but the new settings were saved. I know there is a lot of technical knowledge and expertise on this forum, so I'm hoping one (or more) of you will help! Thanks. Greg

Under Edit: All the options at the bottom of the screen (Start button, system tray, etc) are gone, too, but they don't pop back up when I move the pointer to the bottom of the screen.

Interesting that different web pages react differently to the F11 key also - my wife's Facebook stuff went full screen and wouldn't revert (F11 again) without shutting the browser down..
1a_scratchhead.gif

I don't care what Digger says, KENtuckyKEN is a genius! Well, maybe that's a little extreme; what I meant was, "Thanks, Ken. That did the trick!"

beerchug.gif

Setting up a new (to me 5 year old 2.8 Gig P4) computer as the last one (1.8 Gig Athlon)is getting a little fussy. Needed a new storage drive for it and looked around a little. Best Buy had a 1 terabyte(TB) Western Digital Caviar Black SATA drive for $90.00. No big deal to the kids, eh??

When I started in IT (we called it Computer Operations, in the "Computer Room", part of "Data Processing" at the insurance company I worked for) the IBM S/360/30 I worked on had a pair of 2311 removable media drives, with a capacity of 7.5 MB each. Cost of the drive in 1965 was $25,500..or $2,941.17 per MB. That would have made my 1TB drive come in at around $2,941,176,470.00 (that's almost 3 BILLION dollars if my math is right)

BTW - it takes a long time to do a full format on a TB
clappy.gif

G.I., I remember those drives. A computer room I worked with had 5 drives with 5 disk platter assys. Then, poof, computer rooms in a file cabinet. Except for the line printers, but even those went high speed laser. In about a year a whole division of my company got reassigned to other duties...were they suprised<font size="-2">(and pissed)</font>
PS: may take a long time to format 1 T., but I bet they can crash as fast as anything else.
shame.gif

Allen:
When I moved on to the next job, we had strings of disk drives 50 feet long (pizza oven style, w/ upper and lower drives in each unit) 3 banks on one floor, two smaller banks on another). Each spindle was 250 MB.... room for lots of "wants and warrants" and message queues..and fingerprints later on (NEC AFIS...) First floppy drives I saw were firmware loaders for disk controllers...

If I ever bought a TB drive, I'd buy two, one to use, and the other for an automatic mirror backup... that's a lot of data to loose...

Gerry, the advances in electronics in my/our lifetime are enough to boggle the mind. From a humble 6 transistor radio to I-phones that can download and watch videos...staggering.
Scott T., yea at that size a mirror image is probabily a necessity for any really serious data. But as a individual, what do we have that could even come close to filling 1 Tb ?? Thats 1,000 Gig !! Could probabily hold most of the Library of Congress on it.
Gerry PS: When I was in the military(1970) I worked with an IBM 360-20, I guess it was the cats meow at the time, but it didnt even have a floppy drive. The whole O/S was a foot high stack of punch cards.<font size="-2">And you were so screwed if you dropped it)</font>

Allen:
A trip down memory lane...
The insurance company had started in the dark ages with unit record equipment (I think they had a clock made by CTR..... When I started in Operations there in mid '68, they had had the 360/30 running DOS since late '65 IIRC, but hadn't gotten any native mode programs operational - Assembler and COBOL stuff in test. Their previous system was a 1401, so we ran all operational stuff in 1401 emulation mode. This involved, in our case, loading an emulation deck ... still remember it's name - ELCID, for "Extra Large Compatibility Initialization Deck". I think every operator had a spare copy of the deck stashed someplace. When I moved on in '71, they were just getting some of their major systems running in native mode... I had learned Assembler Macros by that time so I could spool all paper and card output and create it all at once - I was running this all in native mode.. They called me after I left to ask how I'd done it......one of their programmers had taught me the Assembler stuff...
clappy.gif

BTW - that was just about the end of my programming (other than some stuff in Basic) - I was pretty much pure Operations (large mainframe networks) until moving into managing IP networks and PCs in '97..

BTW - electronics - I built a Heathkit when I was 9, I'd still be building their stuff if they were in business.. I have built some Ramsey Electronics stuff in the last few years (FM100 stereo broadcaster, we do "bootleg FM" for the neighborhood, matey..
Scott: - I probably will, right now I use a program called "Foldermatch" and sync all the good stuff every few weeks - I only have about 130 gig right now and the program just syncs the new stuff.

Oh yea ! Kit building. My first was a VTVM from Allied Electronics. Knight-kit as I remember. As for present day possible kits, do they still use 16pin IC paks??? Can you imagine anyone trying to mount one of those 1000 legger VLSI paks ! ?
help.gif

I've had to do a few SMT's, but it's mostly discrete component and some socketed ICs. The FM100 was the last good sized kit I've built and it's been stone reliable..I have a laptop driving it - my wife's addicted to Old Time Radio, streamed from the 'net...with the FM100, she can tune on any FM radio in the house (I used to listen to Rock n' Roll from my MP3 collection on it............)

G.I., maybe it will start up again soon. I just cleaned out 7 cat litter pans in my house. <font size="-2">Ya I have 6 indoor cats and about 12 in a outdoor feral colony.
help.gif
</font>

Now that was a walk down memory lane for me! I started with IBM in 1964 here in Johannesburg, South Africa, and worked on unit record stuff. Including a reproducing punch with a loose toggle switch for stacker full. Turned my back talking to a colleague. Heard a funny belt screeching sound and it was starting to burn the v-belts, trying to stuff more cards in the out-stacker!! The toggler switch had failed to stop the machine. We had to dismantle the machine to get the "stuffed" cards out!

This is for Dennis:
(Cable, not fibre).. My service provider has increased the speed several times in the last four years. We now are running Net access and our phone service over the cable (but, believe it or not, we still are running Dish for TV, because the cable provider's Motorola sourced DVRs suck)..It was 60 bucks a month just for the cable, but bundled with the best tier phone service, it's only 90, which savers us 30 from using V...zon Now if I could get decent cell coverage at home (and we're already using a Z-boost box). We're roughly 10 miles from the capital of Michigan and can't get a @#$$%%^&&%$ decent signal from V...zon!

195571.jpg

Latest posts

Back