• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

System discharging

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rswartz

displayname
Randy Swartz
Hi all. Been a while since I've been on. I have a 1711 that the ammeter is showing it is discharging while the tractor is running. I'm not very good with electrical systems, so I sure could use some help. The battery is brand new.

The ammeter is telling you that the charging system isn't working. The best source for troubleshoting and repairing the charging system can be found in the Kohler (not CCC) Service Manual for either the KT17 Series I or Series II, it specifies the use of two ammeters and a volt meter. But basically, what you want to do is disconnect the alternator at the voltage regulator on the flywheel shroud and make sure you have AC voltage of at least 28 volts on the outside leads (measure the voltage between the leads on the AC scale). If the AC is found, reconnect the leads to see if you can find at least 14 volts DC (13.8) at the middle lead (measure from the frame to the lead on the DC scale).

Case 1: If you're not getting the AC volts from the alternator, you have to remove the flywheel to get at the alternator to replace it.

Case 2: If you're not getting DC voltage, the regulator may be bad.

Case 3: If you are getting AC voltage and DC voltage, but the ammeter is still showing discharge, check the wiring for shorts.

A known issue with this kind of charging system is that the magnets that are glued to the inside of the flywheel come loose, then the system only half-works. Be careful removing the flywheel, and maintain orientation of the magnets, glue them back on with sufficient epoxy, and the system will be good (or better) than new.

Been there, done that going on three years of service.
smile.gif

Thanks for that information Jeremiah. That's a lot to take in and a lot of work involved. So is the voltage regulator on the flywheel? Also, the system only shows discharge when I kick in the PTO. Anything behind that?

Randy: The voltage regulator is a small rectangular "module" mounted on the top left-hand side (viewing from the front of the tractor) of the sheet metal shroud for the flywheel at the rear of the engine compartment, right up against the gas tank.

The center wire is white and runs to the "R" terminal at the key. The alternator wires can be found on the outside of the connector, they are black and come up out of the shroud.

The wiring diagram below is available in the Manuals section of this forum together with schematics of all the other Cub Cadets --a very handy resource.

259516.jpg

Latest posts

Back