• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Switching to cv jt driveshaft in a 1572 how hard is it?

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cvenezia

displayname
charles venezia
Anybody have experiance switching to newer cv joint driveshaft on a1572. How hard is it. And does it fit right in or are there modifications that need to be done.

I just did this swap in my 2072. It was almost a direct bolt in. The new CV shaft has a hub that bolts to the input shaft of the hydro pump. The old hub was pinned to that shaft. The new hub is held in place by a bolt that goes through the middle. You will have to drill and tap your hydro pump shaft for this or swap pumps. Without the bolt it wobbles like crazy.
On the engine end, it bolt direct to the flywheel hub. You'll have to remove the rag joint hub from the engine.

Did I notice a difference once I was done? I can't say, there was only 2 of the 10 bolts holding my engine in the tractor when I got it from the PO and I did this swap when fixing that mess. I doesn't seem any different from 782 with the old style, but at least now I can grease up the new shaft and know its going to last.

where did you get the shaft and what tractor did it come from thanks

The 1572/1772 driveshaft length is different than the 1872/2072. For a 1572/1772, use a driveline from an 1863/1864, a pump adapter from a Cyclops SGT, and either make the engine adapter 1/4" thicker than original, or use the engine adapter from a 1782/2182 with 1/4" spacer. Chances are you will have to make it, because there are not many 1782/2182 tractors at the wreckers. You will have to tap the input shaft of the pump 1/4".

thanks a lot for the info as my driveline is worn and i want something that will be better than original thanks again

I finished drive shaft converstion not too bad. I changed because charge pump shaft was bad and leaking. First I changed hydro pump to newer style. It was cheaper than replacing charge pump shaft. Next I had engine adapter plate made. Non to be found. Cost for plate $50. Took a drive shaft from a cyclops and had to shorten it by about an inch. Last I had collor made to put the two halves together which was another $35. Now it works great no vibration at all.

Necessity is the mother of all invention.As the parts run out we will all need to more inventive.

Latest posts

Back