Steering slop on super

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cvenezia

displayname
charles venezia
I just picked up another 1872 and I see it has about a 1\4 turn of the wheel before the front axel starts to move. I have read the other threads about steering slop but they were not for tractors with power steering. It seems to me the movement is in the column. any help appreciated.

charles, I have a 2072 and it has a little slop. My issue is tire rod ends. Check them and maybe that will help you. I notice mine when i am on pavement, the front tires fight eachother and are never consistant.

charles,
it doesn't take mush slop in the parts to get 1/4 turn play in the steering wheel. (actually, 1/4 turn isn't that much..) check the rod ends, aw heck, just replace them... they're cheap... tighten the adjuster in the steering box, check/replace the king pins/bushings, and inspect the axle pivot. Replacing the pivot pin with a nut and bolt to clamp that axle tight will defineately help..

I was just looking at the steering. What I noticed . With the steering wheel off I can grab the stud and turn it back and forth about a 1\4 turn. At each end point it has a hard stop as it slams into something in the column which sounds to be behind the gas tank. Everything up front seems ok. There is a little play in the bolt on the far end of the cylinder which I will tighten but that only is after all the play in the column is removed.

sounds like the follower in the box is loose or worn. I would remove the follower and inspect. you may need a new one, plug new grease...

Matt, I should stick to wide frames I guess.. I didn't even pay attention to the model...
bottom.gif

Sounds like loose tie rod ends center pivot on steering rods and maybe the axle center pin they all add up .

Latest posts

Back