• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Sockets - 6 vs 12 Point

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bjamison

IHCC Supporter
displayname
Binder 1650
I picked up a ratchet and socket set from Sears today. To my surprise it was a 6 point socket set.

Sometimes I'll give a small socket/ratchet set as a gift to friends or family members and hardly ever see a "set" that is 6 point, usually it's always 12 point.

I prefer 6 point sockets. What is your preference - what's in your tool box?

On another note, I have heard that Sears is taking their ratchets/sockets to china? Don't know if it's true. The ones I bought today were made in USA. It's a nice socket set and better than the stanley stuff IMHO sold at walmart, but I don't think it's as good as the Craftsman socket/ratchets my Dad bought back in the late 60's or early 70's.

BTW, one of the best ratchet/socket sets I've used are the Crescent ones. I have seen them sold at Tractor Supply. I think I bought mine at a True Value hardware several years ago. They are fine tooth ratchets and are nicely done. At the salt mine where I work, they buy some of these Crescent socket/tool kits for use in the plant. Though they are not S-K or Mac, they seem to be well received by the guys using them.

hey bill.....i tend to lean towards the 6 pts.....just always seem to fit better on those rusty nuts i seem to find. stanley is ok for the diyer....ive become fond of Cobalt (lowes or hd....can never remember). they make 2 grades....guaranteed and not. obviously i get the former. nice tool with a good feel. and no....NOTHING is made as well as it was "back when".....a damn shame

I don't know: Snap-On does a good job with their tools, but they're (very) expensive and I don't always like their design. My dad had a set of S-K which my brother "inherited" --love the ratchets. I don't know but what most of the tools are made in China these days. If the price is reasonable, it must be imported.
happy.gif

On Topic: I prefer 6 point because of the rusted/worn hex heads; but in tight spaces, sometimes it takes a 12 point.

I have both, std.,intermediate,deep,english,metric,6,12...... Do you guys need any better excuse to buy more tools? HaHa

Was in Sears today and was very dissapointed in all the tools. I have also started to lean toward Kobalt. Your local CIH dealer may also be carrying tools now, decent stuff that is supposed to be Blue Point made. I have some wrenches and sockets andhave been impressed.

STEVE - You forgot impact and regular sockets. Impact sockets are always 6-pt.

I don't have any "intermediate" length sockets, but I always find a few places where I wish I had them. A short socket is too short, a deep socket or short socket w/extension is too long. If I had more room in my socket drawer in my tool box I'd get a set. Just because!

The last big Craftsman socket set I bought to give me duplicates for bigger jobs also included several 8-pt sockets, for use on square nuts & bolts. Was something I always needed & wanted but never had.

Kobalt is from Lowes, Look at the hood of Jimmy Johnson's car this afternoon. Unfortunately, our nearest Lowes is over 50 miles away. I guess they don't want to compete with HD & Menards around here.

SON bought a Boat-Load of Snap-On tools a year or two ago. I will say that NOTHING beats a fine tooth S-O ratchet, they're longer than the standard Craftsman for more leverage. But MAN are they expensive.

Guys, twelve point sockets will always strip a fastener faster than a 6 point & the side wall of a 12 point is thinner thus not nearly as strong.
Snap~On was the first manufacture to develop Flank-Drive in their box end wrenched & sockets, superior to everyone else at the time.

I could go on & on about tools but I got out of the tool business years ago (ex SNAP~ON dealer)
happy.gif

I found that Poplar Mechanics makes a good tool set. A hardware store friend gave me a set and I compared them to craftsman and they are identical except the name. They have a good warranty and are one half as expensive. I do prefer a 6 point socket on about anything I am working on.

Latest posts

Back