• This community needs YOUR help today!

With the ever-increasing fees of maintaining our vibrant community (servers, software, domains, email), we need help.
    We need more Supporting Members today.

Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of all aspects of IH Cub Cadet and other garden tractors.

Why Join?

• Exclusive Access: Gain entry to private forums.
    • Special Perks: Enjoy enhanced account features that enrich your experience, including the ability to disable ads.
    • Free Gifts: Sign up annually and receive exclusive IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum decals directly to your door!

This is your chance to make a difference. Become a Supporting Member today:

Upgrade Now

Sockets - 6 vs 12 Point

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bjamison

IHCC Supporter
displayname
Binder 1650
I picked up a ratchet and socket set from Sears today. To my surprise it was a 6 point socket set.

Sometimes I'll give a small socket/ratchet set as a gift to friends or family members and hardly ever see a "set" that is 6 point, usually it's always 12 point.

I prefer 6 point sockets. What is your preference - what's in your tool box?

On another note, I have heard that Sears is taking their ratchets/sockets to china? Don't know if it's true. The ones I bought today were made in USA. It's a nice socket set and better than the stanley stuff IMHO sold at walmart, but I don't think it's as good as the Craftsman socket/ratchets my Dad bought back in the late 60's or early 70's.

BTW, one of the best ratchet/socket sets I've used are the Crescent ones. I have seen them sold at Tractor Supply. I think I bought mine at a True Value hardware several years ago. They are fine tooth ratchets and are nicely done. At the salt mine where I work, they buy some of these Crescent socket/tool kits for use in the plant. Though they are not S-K or Mac, they seem to be well received by the guys using them.

hey bill.....i tend to lean towards the 6 pts.....just always seem to fit better on those rusty nuts i seem to find. stanley is ok for the diyer....ive become fond of Cobalt (lowes or hd....can never remember). they make 2 grades....guaranteed and not. obviously i get the former. nice tool with a good feel. and no....NOTHING is made as well as it was "back when".....a damn shame

I don't know: Snap-On does a good job with their tools, but they're (very) expensive and I don't always like their design. My dad had a set of S-K which my brother "inherited" --love the ratchets. I don't know but what most of the tools are made in China these days. If the price is reasonable, it must be imported.
happy.gif

On Topic: I prefer 6 point because of the rusted/worn hex heads; but in tight spaces, sometimes it takes a 12 point.

I have both, std.,intermediate,deep,english,metric,6,12...... Do you guys need any better excuse to buy more tools? HaHa

Was in Sears today and was very dissapointed in all the tools. I have also started to lean toward Kobalt. Your local CIH dealer may also be carrying tools now, decent stuff that is supposed to be Blue Point made. I have some wrenches and sockets andhave been impressed.

STEVE - You forgot impact and regular sockets. Impact sockets are always 6-pt.

I don't have any "intermediate" length sockets, but I always find a few places where I wish I had them. A short socket is too short, a deep socket or short socket w/extension is too long. If I had more room in my socket drawer in my tool box I'd get a set. Just because!

The last big Craftsman socket set I bought to give me duplicates for bigger jobs also included several 8-pt sockets, for use on square nuts & bolts. Was something I always needed & wanted but never had.

Kobalt is from Lowes, Look at the hood of Jimmy Johnson's car this afternoon. Unfortunately, our nearest Lowes is over 50 miles away. I guess they don't want to compete with HD & Menards around here.

SON bought a Boat-Load of Snap-On tools a year or two ago. I will say that NOTHING beats a fine tooth S-O ratchet, they're longer than the standard Craftsman for more leverage. But MAN are they expensive.

Guys, twelve point sockets will always strip a fastener faster than a 6 point & the side wall of a 12 point is thinner thus not nearly as strong.
Snap~On was the first manufacture to develop Flank-Drive in their box end wrenched & sockets, superior to everyone else at the time.

I could go on & on about tools but I got out of the tool business years ago (ex SNAP~ON dealer)
happy.gif

I found that Poplar Mechanics makes a good tool set. A hardware store friend gave me a set and I compared them to craftsman and they are identical except the name. They have a good warranty and are one half as expensive. I do prefer a 6 point socket on about anything I am working on.

Latest posts

Back