• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Snowblower lift operation

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WisCubs

I'm all set for winter here. Will be using a new-to-me snowblower on the 147. My question is, can I use that snowblower with the lift holding it an inch or two above the ground (to keep it from digging into the gravel drive) or should the snowblower be operated in the fully lowered position?View attachment 141108 I'm just wondering if holding that snowblower in a raised position puts too much weight on the 147's electric lift, or if the lift is made to handle the weight of the snowblower in any position?

Here's a picture ...

IMG_1161.jpeg.jpeg

On mine, I modified the shoes on each side to hold the unit higher. That way the weight is off the hoist, I let it float so it can go up or down as it needs to remain in contact with the driveway.

I did the same as Mike. I modified the set on the snow thrower back in the early 1990s, the shiny set I did in November 2000. You can buy them like this now but they are easy to modify. I've seen some that had 2" wide skis rather then the 1" that I used. I'll have to did around in my photo archive to see if I can find some photos of the wider variants that people have made.

QAskids_a.jpg

If you use the stops on a sidewalk or drive that has any blocks that are raised higher than the end of the shoes, they will stop you dead cold so be carefull, know the terrain where you are operating.

I cannot speak for the electric lift as I have the SGT. I do blow with about an inch or two of snow left on the gravel. then if it stays cold and snows again I have no issues dropping the blower on the surface as the cars have turned it to hardpack and it does not sink or dig in even with the larger, heavier two stage snow blower. additionally my snow blower "floats" at any level - the lift mechanism in the blower is slotted so it can only float - the only down pressure is from the weight of the blower. I have not had the single stage or over 15 years so I dont recall its operation.
QA36(a) and QA42(a) were original options on the 147 - I dont know why the lift would not be able to support them. pto engaged or not does not increase the weight. I lift and lower mine all the time when I am snow blowing.

I have a QA 42 on a 147 with electric lift. I haven’t had any issues with the blower being suspended to avoid gravel on the driveway. Some lifts have a slip mechanism which will allow the lift to slip once it is in the full lift position to avoid stripping the gear drive. I sometimes need to tighten the bolts to compensate for the added weight of the blower.

To some this will seem a cobble but.....many moons ago I was plowing oil field lease roads.The big issues are freezing and thawing beginning and end of season.(I still plow a few drives with a Jimmy and a blade) A mechanic cut a slot in a pipe,slid it over the cutting edge and made hangers to bolt on the blade sides.This avoided the blade digging in to soft spots and also kept it from snagging on frozen in rocks. With some logic this should work on snowblowers helping to avoid picking out stones and making missiles out of them. When I get my blower mounted on my 125 it will have a pipe instead of a sharp cutting edge contacting the ground and then we'll see if it works well..Shoes dig in easily in soft gravel

Thanks for the replies. That snowblower is so heavy, but it sounds like you're saying the lift mechanism is designed to handle the weight. And like Spndncash noted, the driveway will get a hardback base of snow that will reduce the gravel issue. And, good reminder about watching for raised obstructions. After using the blade on the 1450, I know where they are!

Back