• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Setting valves on a 1512 Diesel

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dtanner

displayname
Donald Tanner
I thought I would set the valve lash on my 1512 diesel tractor.I thought that should be simple to do with a printed off the manual instructions.
bash.gif
. seems factory clearance is 0.00571 to 0.00728 : not with my feller gauge . so I think intake .05 and exhaust .07 should do it .Better to see what I have and set them at those settings. So i remove the breather so I can see the flywheel and find two marks only 2/FT and 2/TC . manual says ( to get T.D.C. of piston, find it`s "TC" mark on the flywheel and align it with timming mark on plate . I hate this because there is no TDC but there is a 2/ft and a 2/tc and that is all the markes on the flywheel.GGGGGGGGGGRRRRRRRRRR

254019.jpg

254020.jpg

Why do these instructions not woorded to what I would see when I look at this engine.There ain`t nothing simple about these instructions.Because they don`t tell the whols story.

Don, You need to look closer at the flywheel. If the 2TC mark is at the 3 o'clock position lined up with the mark on the starter plate, the 1TC mark is at about 6 o'clock or at the bottom. Not all flywheels have all 3 TC marks, most only have the 1TC mark. As stated in the FAQ,marks are not etched into the flywheel very deep so sometimes they are difficult to find. I would also set all the valves at .006".

Joseph Persoon

I will look for the mark in the am.then rotate the flywheel to find witch valves need adjustment.I would think by rotating the crank to that line the next set of vales should be free to adjust?

Thanks for your info.

Well I hope this works out. I will look for the 1tc mark and start to adjust the valves.

254092.jpg

It sure is clean inside the valve cover.

Joseph Persoon

Thanks ,
worthy.gif

Once I knew where to look for the marks ,I found all three . There was some crud over the marks and once cleaned, it was simple to set the valves. They did need an adjustment ; I found two intakes were less than .006 and one exhaust valve was tight also. I did use .006 to set both intake and exhaust. Now to put the valve cover back on
bash.gif
. I should have got a gasket , Those valve gaskets are small and I did stretch it.so I will cut it and use some RIGHT STUFF where the break was. thanks again
thumbsup_old.gif

Got my valve cover gasket this week and installed it. Now it is getting an oil and filter change. I will get out my Digital Photo Tachometer and check wot and set it at 3600. I think it has slipped down some.I need to install an hr meeter on this diesel. now i just change the oil and filter every winter. But i know I`am over the hrs at 50 for the change. Never had to add any oil this past summer.

254823.jpg

Back