• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

My 1512 diesel gets some upgrades

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dtanner

displayname
Donald Tanner
I thought I should start a thread on my plans for my 1512 diesel for winter duties. I will be installing a 42" snow thrower and a cab . I bought some led lights for on top of the cab and plan to put two for in front and one for backing up.I don`t think I have time to paint the fenders I planed to install so I will go with the old look for now. I wonder if I will need to add another battery to run all the lights ( two grill and two on top of the cab facing forward , one back up and a windshield wiper and a flashing yellow light ). I will not be painting any part of the cab this year and my aim is to get it installed and working great ; then paint it off season. I will update this daily as I move to a completed running and working unit. I know I will have lots of questions as I move along. Later Don T
1a_scratchhead.gif
whistling.gif

I got one more snow blower to get ready for winter . I do oil changes and repairs for some extra $ for Cub projects and the 1512 will need some $$ to do what I have planned . a turbo and the power steering also will get installed . I have to drop Aaron a note for some parts and start to take the 1512 apart again. The cab needs the lights installed and wiring repaired or replaced . lots to do as soon as I get this lawn tractor cleaned up and returned. Sent Jimmy D off an email for advice on my turbo . He was real helpful with my CV drive shaft mod and is a great guy full of good info.

Well some good news; I found a turbo . more as time passes and it finds it`s way here. lots of things now to think of and start to plan.

Is it a turbo made for the engine on that tractor, or is it a turbo from a car/truck engine?

Mark
the turbo is off a smart car and is the size everyone uses on a d600 diesel. I will soon do some shopping for fittings for the oil lines and start to get what I know I will need for the install. I have a friend that will help me get it done . he works at a machine shop and can make anything I think. a great resource for me.

I have to put this cab back together soon and put it on my 1512 . gona be nice to blow snow with it keeping the snow off me. Thanks Frank for sending it over here so this old guy can us it.

Will you have to tune the engine to compensate for the extra heat from the turbo? I ask this because I remember the guys on Benzworld used to say it was a bad idea to mate a turbo onto an engine that is not designed for it, because they are not designed to handle the extra heat/load/pressure/etc. Or maybe these little tractor engines are just really robust...

That snowcab looks pretty good -- I like how it can be dropped on in one piece.

Adding a turbo usually means more cooling capacity , more air filtration, and heavier engine bottom end components. In the case of the D600, you become cooling limited on hard pulls, depending on how much you have the pump turned up. You only make 5-12 psi of boost, so you aren't cranking on it like other applications (automotive, competition, etc) with much higher boost.

Steve is right,
The "potential" is there with any power adder to stress factory components.
The Cub guys that I've seen that have up-fitted turbos are intelligent enough operators + care about their machines to know the limits.
Turbos in general will add efficiency to an engine if operated in the same manor as usual.
I kinda love that efficiency in my Jetta TDI and my tuned Duramax!

shop work is progressing here . I got my 9/26 snapper walk behind snow blower tore apart to replace that stupid Rubber Tire belt so it will back up when needed . It started slipping after three years . I use it for all the walk ways and for the dogs to have a place to go . I`am soon going to install my cab and get the single stage blower out and see what it will do on my 1512 diesel. The 450 is getting a new sleeve welded in and will be ready before this winter is over. But I want to install the turbo when the 450 is ready to move snow. pictures soon of the cab getting installed if I can get this confuser to cooperate .

Charlie

That reminds me of a joke I heard last week ( you can`t fix stupid even with duct tape ) .

Art

I don`t think that would work for two reasons . snow blower would get the cord all wound up and how would one get the hood down lol.

well today was not such a waste . I did install the cab on the 1512 and put the led lights up and bolt them fast . I added a brace for the cat O top to take some weight off the fenders. took a few pictures but this confuser won`t find the cameras memory card . i can see the garbage box filling up with all this high teck junk one can`t depend on . I need a new zipper installed in the cab and then let it snow.I mounted the cab so four bolts are removed and the whole cab will tilt back on the floor and then one pin and it is off for the season. pictures will happen as soon as my confuser can connect with my camera like it did or the last 6 years and down load the pictures I took .
bash.gif

Latest posts

Back