• This community needs YOUR help today!

With the ever-increasing fees of maintaining our vibrant community (servers, software, domains, email), we need help.
    We need more Supporting Members today.

Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of all aspects of IH Cub Cadet and other garden tractors.

Why Join?

• Exclusive Access: Gain entry to private forums.
    • Special Perks: Enjoy enhanced account features that enrich your experience, including the ability to disable ads.
    • Free Gifts: Sign up annually and receive exclusive IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum decals directly to your door!

This is your chance to make a difference. Become a Supporting Member today:

Upgrade Now

Serial # on a “70”

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beltrack

I picked up a “70” the other day. When checking the ser#, it seems to be in the 28,000 range which I believe would make it a pre 1963. Maybe a 62. What differences besides decals should I look to to determine if it is earlier than a “70?”

Attachments

• 7CABD3C6-54CF-4C27-86FA-7661D287CFFE.jpeg
    7CABD3C6-54CF-4C27-86FA-7661D287CFFE.jpeg
    4.5 MB · Views: 8
no expert here but from what i know about the 100's, the shifter handle is longer and there is a bigger battery box on the early 64's and before. yours looks like it has both.

That is a 70...you have likely misread the serial number.

70 and 100 both have the same shifter.

“That is a 70...you have likely misread the serial number.”

Very likely. I’ll put on my glasses and us a flashlight in the morning.

Thanks you two.

I have found it can be helpful to take a good photo, and then enlarge the photo.

Best thing to do is sand the area where the # is located. It will either be on the square raised block, or on the front right side of the tranny.
You can look up the serial # and determine the month and year it was made. From there, you can even estimate the day it was made.
I am almost certain the early 70/100s had the serial # stamped in the right front housing as pictured below. The later ones were stamped on the square block just to the left.
The earlier 70/100 serial numbers are 5 digits. Then, during Nov. of 64' (about half way through their production), they passed the 100,000 serial number (6 digit).

DSCF0506.JPG

You folks were absolutely right. A digital photo reveals I was reading the serial number upside down (and perhaps backwards-I’m a leftie). It’s 80,000.

Nice tractor! Looks like original tires also.
80,000 even?! Would make it a March of 64' model. About mid production of the 70/100 series.
Was the serial # on the square block, or front of tranny casing?

80,227. The number was in front of the square block - as indicated in the above photo.

Yes, recent paint. I purchased it in Vermont where it was allegedly on display at a dealer and, presumably, restored by that dealer.

I bought it as my lawnmower (I’m getting tired of pushing a rotary), but it’s so nice I’m gonna feel guilty using it! But, it was about $800 cheaper than a throwaway Home Depot mower. I now have 3 Cub Cadets and have my eye on a fourth 😁

Thanks to all for your help and compliments!

You ought to keep that one nice, and use one of the other cubs to mow with. ;)
The nut on the steering wheel, the reflector backs, and brackets were not originally yellow. Nice job though.
Sounds like you have the yellow and white fever pretty bad! :errrr:

That is a 38" timed deck for a Cub Cadet Original, It will not fit your 70 without the proper mule drive which are hard to come by.

The reflector brackets were, I think, just plain metal. The reflector backs were possibly galvanized.

80,227. The number was in front of the square block - as indicated in the above photo.

Yes, recent paint. I purchased it in Vermont where it was allegedly on display at a dealer and, presumably, restored by that dealer.

I bought it as my lawnmower (I’m getting tired of pushing a rotary), but it’s so nice I’m gonna feel guilty using it! But, it was about $800 cheaper than a throwaway Home Depot mower. I now have 3 Cub Cadets and have my eye on a fourth 😁

Thanks to all for your help and compliments!
Beltrack, a picture of your multi-Cub fleet would be good content for this site.
You must have scored a good deal on that 70 if $800 below Homer Cheapo!

Latest posts

Back