• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Serial # on a “70”

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beltrack

I picked up a “70” the other day. When checking the ser#, it seems to be in the 28,000 range which I believe would make it a pre 1963. Maybe a 62. What differences besides decals should I look to to determine if it is earlier than a “70?”

Attachments

• 7CABD3C6-54CF-4C27-86FA-7661D287CFFE.jpeg
    7CABD3C6-54CF-4C27-86FA-7661D287CFFE.jpeg
    4.5 MB · Views: 1
no expert here but from what i know about the 100's, the shifter handle is longer and there is a bigger battery box on the early 64's and before. yours looks like it has both.

That is a 70...you have likely misread the serial number.

70 and 100 both have the same shifter.

“That is a 70...you have likely misread the serial number.”

Very likely. I’ll put on my glasses and us a flashlight in the morning.

Thanks you two.

I have found it can be helpful to take a good photo, and then enlarge the photo.

Best thing to do is sand the area where the # is located. It will either be on the square raised block, or on the front right side of the tranny.
You can look up the serial # and determine the month and year it was made. From there, you can even estimate the day it was made.
I am almost certain the early 70/100s had the serial # stamped in the right front housing as pictured below. The later ones were stamped on the square block just to the left.
The earlier 70/100 serial numbers are 5 digits. Then, during Nov. of 64' (about half way through their production), they passed the 100,000 serial number (6 digit).

DSCF0506.JPG

You folks were absolutely right. A digital photo reveals I was reading the serial number upside down (and perhaps backwards-I’m a leftie). It’s 80,000.

Nice tractor! Looks like original tires also.
80,000 even?! Would make it a March of 64' model. About mid production of the 70/100 series.
Was the serial # on the square block, or front of tranny casing?

80,227. The number was in front of the square block - as indicated in the above photo.

Yes, recent paint. I purchased it in Vermont where it was allegedly on display at a dealer and, presumably, restored by that dealer.

I bought it as my lawnmower (I’m getting tired of pushing a rotary), but it’s so nice I’m gonna feel guilty using it! But, it was about $800 cheaper than a throwaway Home Depot mower. I now have 3 Cub Cadets and have my eye on a fourth 😁

Thanks to all for your help and compliments!

You ought to keep that one nice, and use one of the other cubs to mow with. ;)
The nut on the steering wheel, the reflector backs, and brackets were not originally yellow. Nice job though.
Sounds like you have the yellow and white fever pretty bad! :errrr:

That is a 38" timed deck for a Cub Cadet Original, It will not fit your 70 without the proper mule drive which are hard to come by.

The reflector brackets were, I think, just plain metal. The reflector backs were possibly galvanized.

80,227. The number was in front of the square block - as indicated in the above photo.

Yes, recent paint. I purchased it in Vermont where it was allegedly on display at a dealer and, presumably, restored by that dealer.

I bought it as my lawnmower (I’m getting tired of pushing a rotary), but it’s so nice I’m gonna feel guilty using it! But, it was about $800 cheaper than a throwaway Home Depot mower. I now have 3 Cub Cadets and have my eye on a fourth 😁

Thanks to all for your help and compliments!
Beltrack, a picture of your multi-Cub fleet would be good content for this site.
You must have scored a good deal on that 70 if $800 below Homer Cheapo!

Back