PTO switch

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stritle

displayname
Steve Tritle
Since my question was bowled over in the main forum and ignored, I'll try here.

When I turn the key, nothing happens. I checked the fuse, it's okay. Seems like a safety switch problem. So, I played with the PTO switch, and it turned over!

Before I purchase a new switch, is there another problem I should check out?

Thanks.

Steve
Methinks you have the problem well in hand!
JH

Steve
Before you go buy a new switch, check and clean the connection at the Pto switch and the Key switch.

Steve if its on a quietline or 82 series I'd say it's the switch I have had that problem in the past and always needed a switch to fix it.

Steve T: As was already noted, clean all external PTO wiring harness contacts first. However, please bear in mind, that type switch isn't really waterproof. Therefore, if they are allowed to sit out in the elements, particularly with a live battery, both the external <u>and</u> the internal connections will corrode/oxidize and fail to make good contact. Sometimes, you can "rehab" one by flipping the switch on & off multiple times which seems to knock off some of the internal corrosion/oxidation and allow eledctrical contact.

I've heard of folks disassembling the switches and cleaning them up. But, having played around with that idea, and unless your finances are such that is your only choice, then personally, I would just get a new replacement and end the frustration and the problem.

Myron B
CCSupplyRoom

Thanks for the info guys. It's too darn cold now. Thank goodness it was warm over the weekend to get to figure out what was wrong.

If you are reading this, you most likely have the same problem in this old post. My PTO was acting funny while blowing snow for the two months I have owned an 1862. PTO finally stopped working altogether. Replacing the switch fixed the problem, also needed to clean the fuse connector, which kept it from turning over- coincidentally at the same time.

I have had good success with taking this switch apart and cleaning the internal contacts. Dab some dielectric grease on the contacts before closing back up. Good for another 20 years.

Latest posts

Back