• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Parts Washer

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nbartee

displayname
Norm Bartee
Thinking about getting a parts washer. Looked at TSC, Northern Tool, Ebay, etc. Flow runs anywhere from .36 gpm to 4 gpm. I don't know which is better, a faster or slower flow.

Does anyone have any recommendations as to size, brand, flow, etc.? Any recommendations on what fluid to use?

Norm we have one from Harbor frieght that we use alot at work and it holds up and works well

NORM - Not sure how much flow the pump in my home-made parts washer is, but it's the same pump Northern Tool puts in their parts washers. I sometimes wish it had a little more flow, but it's just right for almost everything. Too much flow/pressure would cause splashing and make a mess.

Some people have good luck with the water soluble cleaning solvents, but then I've heard people complain about them growing bacteria and smelling bad, or freezing.

I built my parts washer about 15-16 yrs ago with the old worn-out 20 gal pressure tank from my well, turned upside-down. The bottom was rusty, the top was like new. I made a basin about 18" x 36" x 6" deep, put a big drain in the basin, use the flow-through parts washing brush, and for fussy things, I use a 1/4" in-line gas filter to filter out dirt from the cleaning solvent. And the pump was the replacement pump from Northern, a submersable pump specifically made for parts washers.

I use a gallon can of GUNK degreaser and 4-5 gal of kerosene for solvent. But with the current price of kero I might try something else for solvent next time.

Norm B.
Go with the big red one from Northern tool.
It has a filter system in it.
I know I'll catch flack over this, but mine is full of kerosene! LOL
That biodegradable crap is just that! When I want to clean parts, I want to clean them today!!!

What,, no secret snake oil additive in it Charlie?

I know what you mean, Charlie, I've been cleaning parts with gasoline for 40 years! I now use paint thinner because it's not as volatile and doesn't have the after smell.

I got mine from one of the truckload deals that come thru town every so often. I works ok but I melted the pump when I brought home the solvent that we use at work. Came to find out the pump was for a water fountain in your yard. All plastic. I don't leave solvent in it now. I pump it back into a jug till I need it again.

What do you guys think of this one?

247969.jpg

Norm,
That's the same one I was talking about that I got from Northern tool.
The only issue I had was you have to keep the fluid above that filter line by about 1/2".

Charlie,

Yea, I like it. Think that's the one I'll get. Thanks for the recommendation.

Norm-
That's the same one I have (but mine is blue). So far it's worked real nice. I filled mine with odorless mineral spirits about 10 years ago and haven't had to change it out. It's not cheap, but it seems to be a "buy it once and forget it" at least for my limited usage.

Yeah, if you're gonna use mineral spirits, don't get that white slimey crap in the white and green plastic jugs at the farm/fleet store.
Oderless "Kleen Strip Green" i think it is labeled.
At least the clear stuff will eventually evaporate, what do you do w/the white stuff?
It may not have a smell, but you sure hate to put your hands in it!!
Dave S.

I bought one of those HF parts washers a few years ago and converted it by cutting a hole in the middle of the bottom and putting a catch tank underneath. I also installed a drain tube to prevent bad splashing. I then installed the pump in the catch tank and a hollow brush for the fluid flow. I never liked the way they designed it for the cleaning fluid to remain in the main tank. The parts could get lost in the fluid after it got the slightest bit dirty. I can also filter the fluid with this method. It's out in the barn right now and has been out of service from lack of a place to put it. I also used paint thinner as cleaning fluid but I recently discovered it cost over $10 a gallon now. I think it was about $6 a gallon when I started using it and that was high then. A buddy of mine that rebuilds auto transmissions told me about using paint thinner. He used it in his "real" parts cleaner...the type that mounts over a thirty gallon drum and pumps like mine from the bottom.

I'm really concerned about some of the fluids being used as cleaner.... I'd check the flashpoint and how dangerous to your health the stuff is. Livers and kidneys are hard to replace. (The funny thing is - I remember often walking into the Ford garage dad worked in and he'd be squatting by a bucket of gasoline. scrubbing parts off, with a CAMEL in the corner of his mouth!). They did have a parts washing sink also, but IIRC it was so filthy he wouldn't use it. This was before the days of SafetyKleen, I guess...

On the rare occasion I need to use one I just walk over to my neighbor's shop and use his parts washer. He told me I can use his shop anytime I need to. I believe his is from either Northern Tool or Harbor Freight. It worked just fine the last time I used it. That was back in 2008 when I was refurbishing my Original.
coffee.gif

Back