• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Newbie with Cub fever - ethical question

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Myron,
Thanks for the info. I was hoping you might chime in, b/c I've seen you offer a lot of info in other posts.

Thanks everyone else for the stories and ideas. They all help. I'll keep this thing one way or the other. Now on to finding a snowblower. We had a ton of snow here in Southeastern PA last winter, so I think I will be better prepared. The little Honda 5hp struggled last year, but she never failed. I'll keep that for the sidewalk.

John K.-

In case you were wondering, you need a 451 or 551 snowblower. Those are the two that I know of that work on an 1864 with no modifications. Actually, since yours is so early, there's a chance you might need a 450. Myron, would you happen to have any info on the serial number break where the PTO clutch diameter changed?

Thanks Matt. You verified what I was finding on the parts lookup. As far as the PTO clutch diameter, can I just measure mine to verify? Do I just measure across the outside diameter or do I have to measure down in the V where the belt rides? Do you happen to know off-hand what the different diameters would be? And, would using a different length belt make up the difference if worse came to worse?

I think the smaller PTO clutch is about 4 1/2" OD, and the larger one is 6" or so. If you have the larger clutch, you need a 451 or 551. You can't just change the belt length; you need the right attachment to match the clutch. A 450 with the big clutch will turn too fast, and a 451/551 with the small clutch will turn too slow.

Matt G: I am not aware of any specific info on the serial number change over for the PTO's but, if it was in the IH era, CPE-2 may show it (under the 44A/50A decks section) if you happen to have tractors with the differences cited.

Myron B

I think the serial number range is 836001-880000 and then breaks to 880001-899000. I think the smaller pulley is during the first range.

Has anyone changed small pulley PTO to Large pulley PTO ,on Cyclops or 82 CC ?
1a_scratchhead.gif

I measured my pulley tonight and it is about 6" across. So, I assume I need a 451 or 551. What exactly is the difference between the two?

The 451 and 551 have a different gear ratio than the 450 to account for the difference in pulley diameter. I think the 551 is built a little bit lighter than the 451.

The 551 has a taller intake housing (23") & is basis for 3000 series CC,newer Cyclops CC, MTD, Craftsman tractors & large walk behind snow machines.Belt & Shaft driven depending tractor application. Like Matt said ,it needs 6" PTO for belt drive machines.Power steering is not mandatory , but is recommended. Rear wheel weights or rear weight bracket with minimum 3 suitcase weights.... 4.5" to 6" PTO Switched @ serial # 821,060.

Latest posts

Back