• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Never understimate the usefulness of a loader

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TERRY - I have 75# on each rear wheel of the 982 all the time, two IH CC weights and some other Off-brand weight that fits inside the smaller diameter of the rim, 26#X2=52# plus the 22-23# of the other weight plus the four 1/2" carriage bolts.

I have run 95#/wheel on the 72 before, two IH weights on the inside and a 42#/ea unknown brand pair of weightw I bought off the hayrack at a farm sale back in 1970 for $5/pr. They look identicle to the JD 50# weights but are 1/8" thinner. When I bought them they had a nice patina of RUST on them. I wire brushed them to prep for paint and there wasn't a spec of paint on them enywhere, so they very definitely are NOT a JD weight. But normally I run those 42# plus a IH weight on the inside for 68# per wheel.

Wyatt helped me mow, mulch & vacuum leaves one fall. He used his 169 after a plow day up by the Wis. Dells. He had four IH weights on each outside of his 169. He really didn't need that much weight to mow but it looked cool!

SON bought a pair of 50# JD weights and I had a pair of off-brand weights that weigh about 20-22# each that are on his 70 with the 6-12 GY turf tires. With chains he'll be able to push snow fairly well.

I'm not a big fan of the plastic coated weights, too fragile IMO. And number of weights on the outside depends on the width of your mower deck. One on the outside is plenty with a 38" deck, two are O-K with a 44", and would probably work with a 42" deck. With the 50" deck on the wider track 982 two on the outside is enough.

My old 129 had external disk brakes as does the 982, and no weights can be fit on the inside with those brakes.

CHARLIE - If you need that much added weight on your loader tractor.... you need a bigger loader tractor! ;-)

I put 900# on the '51 M 7 yrs ago, three pair of 1-pc IH weights, they were $60/pr including hardware from the local C/IH dealer. Wish they would have had more, like another 3-4 pair, I'd have taken them ALL. I could still put another 300 or 600# on the outside of the M, and another 1200# of IH split weights on the inside. I really need another 600# of weights on the Super H, I have 600# already but I removed 500-600# of fluid 2 yrs ago and I really noticed the lack of weight pushing snow now with it last winter.

Got one of those too.
260913.jpg

CHARLIE - I knew you did. I do like that loader tractor! Wish I had a cab on one of my loader tractors.

Seeing you raise that CC 25-30 ft in the air reminds me of when we were stacking wire baskets by shipping at FARMALL. We could only stack them 4-high with our fork trucks, but we were running out of room. So we stacked a BUNCH of then 8-10, even 12 high. Sticking a stack of eight on top of a stack of four was a little nerve wracking. You tilt the mast ahead a degree and the top of the stack you had on your forks moved 2-3 feet!

Charlie: Seems the first time I saw that pic of the Cub Cadet WAY up in the air that you were scaring it into starting.
happy.gif

Dang guys! Guess I'll be calling the guy the guy about those weights! They were Rowe 75 pounders and the guy actually mounted them between duals. Pretty slick actually. I thought they were wheel spacers at first but once we pulled em apart we realized they were just weights so I left em there. Maybe not a good call on my part.

Charlie - is that a pic of you taking one of those NOS 169s down off the shelf to dust it off?

Don T.: We did it. (With a loader you're never alone):

265288.jpg

265289.jpg

265290.jpg

265291.jpg

No snow forecast for tonight. Tomorrow I'll find a "real" pair of extra hands and get the cab undercover ahead of the snow that's supposed to hit us on Monday.
happy.gif

Frank C

I hope that Cab finds it way here soon so I can put it on my 1512 Diesel with the 450 snow blower . I think I will try and find a heater to run in the Cab lol. Might as well be warm when I`am out having fun .
Shift.gif

AHHH FRANK - My FAVORITE SHOW! JD is just starting building a similar but smaller end loader. Think it will be their 944 model, will have four DC elec. motors, one in each wheel like that Letourneau. Their website isn't showing it yet.

Have to agree with the guy on the video, having the Biggest Shovel in the biggest sand box is really neat! I remember going to the quarry to get crushed rock for the driveway of our first house. I'd hauled a lot of rock out with a C65 single axle dump truck... normally got one smallish dump from the BIG Michigan loader. 5-axle semi's got 2-1/2 to 3 dumps depending on how heavy their trailer was. With my little toy truck, '74 Chevy Isuzu LUV truck, I wanted around 800-1000 pounds. The end loader operator gets a tiny pile of rock in the very corner of his bucket, starts dribbling it into my truck and when the pile covered the floor between the rear wheel tubs I had him stop. It was 2000 pounds on the nose! It was a slow 6-8 mile trip home! Got another load the week after that, also 2000# and I was done!

Dad had a CDC 8.3L combine engine in the back of a LUV........sitting hard on the axle the whole way back to the shop!!! Tough little truck.....

Allen. S. I don't think there will be anything left for a front loader to pick up after that "weed wacker" is done!!!

I've always thought it would be cool to build something I could attach to my Fel and "clean" up the ground at my cabin of all the small sticks and branches and trees that collect.

STEVE - A CDC 8.3 TRUMPS my ton of crushed rock. The LUV had fancy rubber bumpers between the frame & rear axle and like BIG Steve, the ones on my LUV were hard on the axle the whole way home!

They were a tough little truck, just IMPOSSIBLE to buy parts for! I kept mine running out of an Import salvage yard in East Moline. They knew what Toyota & Datsun parts fit it.

And their sheet metal dissolved in water like a Kleenex. Every fall I'd have to take mine out to Dad's and patch holes rusted through the cab with galvanized flashing.

Allen, check out a (Fecon) cutter. We rent them on a tracked skid steer at work. its a smaller version but does about the same to brush and trees. There fun to run.

We use Shinn Systems brand excavator mulchers at the utility for ROW clearing. They incorporate a "pony motor" to drive the cutter head and really get after full sized trees, etc. Not nearly as much speeding up and slowing down of the cutter head as the video link shows.

Stand back when they run though......it's a wood chip and splinter hail raining down on everything within 100 yards!

Latest posts

Back