• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Motorcycles....

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Only thing loud pipes on motorcycles do is give me headaches! Denny, even in your own examples, you never mentioned hearing them coming.

I live on a very busy street and when the bikes go by I can't even hear my TV. We keep the windows closed and the AC on just because of the bikes. If my car was as loud as these bikes I'd be arrested!

MIKE - Living 60-70 miles from Harley's home city, I've NEVER seen a motorcycle stopped for loud pipes in WI. ANY brand of motorcycle.

Having straight pipes on both my Farmalls, my diesel pickup, and my CC # 72, just a straight pipe does not make an engine loud. It needs a large load on it, and lots of RPM helps too. When idling along at normal city speeds a bike with straight pipes can be fairly quiet, but crack the throttle and your vision will blur. Plus the sound is pretty directional, a turn-out exhaust tip will direct a lot of the sound away from the operator or whatever.

Yes, in the two situations I described, neither time did I hear the bike, but saw it. With the female co-worker the people in the back seat were talking, and the other situation I was idling in my diesel pickup waiting for a car to pass so I could make my left turn, the bike was about 200 feet ahead of me coming towards me. Neither bike was accelerating, they were coasting actually.

I will say this, the "LOUDEST" vehicle I have ever seen go past my house, on my rural road, was a neighbor's old Dodge Cummins pickup. All manner of hot street motorcycles, hot street cars, cars/trucks with mufflers falling off, etc go past frequently, even had a parade of over 100 Harley's two years ago, but that Dodge pickup was loudest, I even heard it over my Cub Cadet 72 before the straight pipe was installed while mowing the back yard one afternoon. I was trimming around a tree, and heard it go by and looked up to make sure it was who I thought it was. It was MUCH much louder than my Powerstroke w/straight pipe.

The loud vehicles that really irritate me are the ratty old cars that have the sub-woofers in the trunk that you can hear a half mile or more away. What must it be like INSIDE those cars? SON's had a couple loud stereo's, the one in his old '88 Mustang would rattle the alum. siding on the house when inside the shop with all the doors close 75 feet away when turned up playing certain songs, mostly Metallica. And it was tame compared to some of these old ratty cars that have the loud sub-woofers. No wonder kids can't hear what their parents tell them anymore!?!

SON has a neighbor that has a custom Harley, like something the Teutuls would build, must be a big CID engine, even in a residential area of town when he cranks the throttle you can hear him at least a quarter mile away over all the other traffic. And he cranks the throttle a L-O-T. But when he does, everyone knows where he's at... for at least a few seconds.

Heres a better look at my 1200CP Sporty, photo from befor was in the dealerships loading dock
246825.jpg
246826.jpg

246827.jpg
246828.jpg

Hopefully by next spring I will have some saddle bags, engine guard, and running lights installed as I do a lot of night rideing.

Don T:
The Street Glide WB is 63.5 inches.. weight is 820 Lbs.

I bought one of the Chinese made lifts that Sears, HF and everybody else sells. The Harley's frame is flat underneath, so the lift works perfect. I can actually lift it and move it around without even strapping it down and it's stable enough and locks in an up position - the next door neighbor stores his Heritage Softail Classic in the winter on his. Bring your "sled" down and we'll stretch it in a couple of hours...

Dennis:
I'm probably your worse nightmare - two of my favorite things are riding and music - loud music... so I put the optional 200 watt amp and bag speakers on the SG, and replaced the fairing speakers with premium ones.. I'm looking for a good recording of a top fuel Harley....

angel.gif

From the HDForum - too good not to share... (do Cub owners give the "power fist" "low wave" or the "finger" ?? )

Top Ten Reasons Why BMW Riders Don't Wave Back.
10. New Aerostich suit too stiff to raise arm.
9. Removing a hand from the bars is considered "bad form."
8. Shoulder too stiff from camping on the ground the night before.
7. Too sore from an 800-mile day on a stock "comfort" seat.
6. Too busy programming the GPS, monitoring radar, listening to ipod, XM, or talking on the cell phone.
5. He's an Iron Butt rider and you're not!.
4. Wires from Gerbings is too short.
3. You're not riding the "right kind" of BMW.
2. You haven't been properly introduced. And the number one reason...
1. Afraid it will be misinterpreted as a friendly gesture.

Top Ten Reasons Why Gold Wing Riders Don't Wave Back
10. Wasn't sure whether other rider was waving or making an obscene gesture.
9. Afraid might get frostbite if hand is removed from heated grip.
8. Has arthritis and the past 400 miles have made it difficult to raise arm.
7. Reflection from etched windshield momentarily blinded him.
6. The expresso machine just finished.
5. Was actually asleep when other rider waved.
4. Was in a three-way conference call with stock broker and accessories dealer.
3. Was distracted by odd shaped blip on radar screen.
2. Was simultaneously adjusting the air suspension, seat height, programmable CD player, seat temperature and satellite navigation system.
1. Couldn't find the "auto wave back" button on the dashboard.

Top Ten Reasons Why Harley Riders Don't Wave Back
10. Afraid it will invalidate warranty.
9. Leather and studs make it too hard to raise arm.
8. Refuses to wave to anyone whose bike is already paid for.
7. Afraid to let go of the handlebars because they might vibrate off.
6. Rushing wind would blow scabs off the new tattoos.
5. Angry because just took out second mortgage to pay luxury tax on new Harley.
4. Just discovered the fine print in owner's manual and realized H-D is partially owned by those rice-burner manufacturers.
3. Can't tell if other riders are waving or just reaching to cover their ears like everyone else.
2. Remembers the last time a Harley rider waved back, he impaled his hand on spiked helmet.
1. They're jealous that after spending $20,000, they still don't own a Gold Wing.

Gerry I.
I can answer that.
Depends on what IH your drivin at the time. The bigger the machine, the bigger the wave and the air kick!
247932.jpg

247933.jpg

Charlie:
PERFECT!!!!

I usually give the "two fingers downlow" to anything on two wheels ... here's some other forms of "hello bro"
buttrock.gif
swear.gif
1AA_dance2.gif
old.gif
rtfm2.gif
wave.gif
groupwave.gif
moon.gif
dunno.gif
thumbsup_old.gif
rant.gif
WELCOME.gif
(RTFM = "Ride The Frigging Machine", I think)
But I'd prefer this to any of them..
beer2.gif

Man, no one has posted on the bike page since October! Finally got my new pipes from RB racing the other day and had to put them on. No more trumpet look for me. Plan on posting a pic or two this week if I can stay out of the woods (deer hunting) long enough. There is a local ride saturday to help buy toys for children in the hospital. It is supposed to be in the 60's that day and I hope to go. Amazing, to be able to ride in December!

Parts are arriving Friday from FuelMoto in Wisconsin ... New stainless headpipes w/internal ceramic coating, new free flowing air cleaner and a DynoJet ProVison FI tuner... Goodbye Cat, and extra heat.. Hopefully more TQ and HP than the stock 103... next step - cams... Stay tuned (yup,a pun).

BTW - Don Tanner - do ya go to the Fireman's Breakfast often??

Gerry Ide

There are two fire departments that have breakfast served by them; I think there is one every sat till noon by someone. All you can eat at most ! I can drive no more than ten minutes to cover 6 departments . We do go to different ones to spread our $$ around.

Uncovered my Nomad today. It needs a good cleaning ; but it did start right up after sitting all winter . That put a smile on my face. Now if we would only get some weather to get it out of the shop and do some ridding .

256917.jpg

Donald,

Been riding my Honda Shadow to work all week. It is 86 degrees here (eat your heart out Charlie! HA HA). I will ride again tomorrow, but it's supposed to rain Friday. Too much pollen flying to get my Harley out.

Never quit riding this winter........ (ain't headed North 'till I can ride in a tee shirt there, either). That is a pretty scoot, Don...

Rode from Z'Hills over the Lakeland Linder airport today for the huge Sun n' Fun Flyin (like a winter EAA Oshkosh) On the way back, saw a store sign that said 100 degrees - almost too hot to ride) Black Helmets and blue jeans ... I'm putting the bike away, Nancy is under a cool shower.......

Gerry,

Where in the heck are you at? I didn't think it hit 100 on the equator this time of year!
err.gif

Now that I think of it, we almost hit 90 yesterday (86)!

Don and Luther,

Nice!!

Marty - Zephyrhills Florida, SnowBird Central.. still here for a little while longer. The sign may have been a little high, but the one in my house said 94....

Rode the harley to a "cruise-in" this evening. They had some real nice old vehicles there. Nice weather. Wanna ride some more!

I got my "Harley" moved to the front of the garage for summer. (As if it's ever going to be "summer" here!)

257105.jpg

Latest posts

Back