• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Model 149 with a 44” mowing deck

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbleznyk

displayname
Mike Bleznyk
According to what I can find I’m supposed to get a cutting height of 4.5” from my 44” deck. After trying everything I can think of the best I can get is 3.5”. The deck is level fore and aft and side to side. The hydraulic ram.seems to be extended all the way out. Any suggestions guys ??

Excessive wear on mule drive suspension pins and arms would be one place to check.
Wear on the rock shaft where the center frame ass'y (#7) rides on it is another.
Check all the pins and hangers and replace as necessary.

1691693645498.png

Item 7 does have some wear where it rides on the rockshaft. Nothing compared to what I have seen on other cubs. The front forks look good. I’m not 100% certain the deck was made to reach 4.5” ? Can someone confirm that a 149 with a 44” deck is capable of 4.5”

149's came std with hydraulic lift. They typically don't have as much lift as the "arm-strong" lift models.

Thanks for your input guys. I contacted an old friend of mine who has a 129 with a 42” deck. With the manual lift he can easily extend beyond 4” cutting heights. I didn’t believe I could get past 3.5” but I hoping I was missing something. My last resort would be to exceed the tire pressures which I’m hesitant to do. Currently I have 16 psi in the front tires and 15 in the rear. Since there is no inflation specs on either tires I don’t know how much I can push these original tires? Any advice ?

Where did you get a maximum of 4.5" lift height? I have the original paper manual for the 44C deck that came on my 1973 129. It specifically states a range of 1.0" to 4.0" cutting height, depending on tires and mower combination. This also agrees with the pdf versions found on this site.
1691936127752.png

I found the deck height in the manuals that stated a 4” height depending on deck and tire combination just like you did. It didn’t state which deck or tires you could achieve a 4 inch cutting height with ? I have been able to get 3.5/8” and that’s it. I decided not to mess with 50 year old tires. They’re in excellent shape for their age. I believe I could get a 4” height if I changed the deck spindles from say a 42” or 48” deck. I think those spindles are shorter ? Not sure how that would affect the performance of the mower ? But, I’m not going through all that work for 1/2” … I’m disappointed that a machine like this only has a max 3.5” cutting height….

Do you have the short lift links on it or does it have the long ones. If you want a longer cut length you could get the taller supersteer axle off a later cyclops cub cadet and put 26-12x12s on the rear.

My 169 with the 44 inch deck has 23-10.50X12 and has 2 inches of clearance between the tire and the gauge wheel would a 26-12-12 be that much wider

I’m going to check to see if I have the correct size lift links. Its total size is 3.5” I can lift the deck higher by hand easily. The other link is adjustable and I do have some threads left. I know these links come in different sizes. If I do have the correct link I can have the link welded at the top say 3/4” and see what happens ? I have checked everything for wear and it’s minimal since this hanger is essentially new. I believe modifying this link is my only chance of being able to achieve a 4 inch cutting height or more.

Steve Bluiner wrote a FAQ about setting up and leveling the deck. It had instructions about heating and bending the under carriage to get proper lift.

Latest posts

Back