• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

LT1040 trasmission belt replacement?

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rbradford

displayname
randy bradford
Greetings all !
This is My first post here . Naturally I have a problem that I need to solve if I can. I have a cub cadet LT1040 that broke a lower transmission belt. I have no idea how the new one is supposed to run and I am open to any advice/suggestions/information /help as to how to repair this machine.
Thank you in advance for ANY help !

It's there

226509.gif

226510.gif

Hello again !
what I hope is a quick and easy question. On My cub cadet LT1040 ...
Transmission belt is that a 5/8 x 90 belt or a different size?
I appreciate your help!
Randy

Randy: Where are you getting your dimensions? I can't find anything giving the dimensions.

The smaller belt (#38 in both diagrams) is given as PN 754-0468, but sold as 954-0468, is described as a "Belt-Drive Transmission;" the longer belt (#37 in both diagrams, installed below the first) is given as PN 754-0467, but sold as 954-0467A, is described as "Belt-Drive Vari-Speed." The shorter belt is about 2/3 the price of the longer belt.

I figure the lower, longer belt could possibly be 90" long, if the deck is at least 48" wide (3 equal-length 12" blades = 36" span between centers of outer pulleys * 2 = 72" + 10" for (2) 5" dia spindles = 82" + 8" slack for the idler = 90").

But I don't have much confidence in my own calculations: I would just go to the dealer and refuse to pay more than $25 for the short belt or $35 for the long one.

The previous calculation could be refined: 3 equal-length 12" blades = 36" span between centers of outer pulleys * 2 = 72" + 15" for (2) 5" dia spindles (5"*pi/2) = 87" + 3" slack for the idler = 90". I now feel more confident that a 90" belt would fit the deck, but I would still spend my money on a belt that matched the part number.

If you simply purchase by the description, you're liable to get a "B Belt" which may work for the deck (it can probably tolerate the backward bend at the idler), but it still won't fit the pulley width exactly like a true lawn mower belt.

Randy: I don't think a 90" long belt is right for the deck depicted in the parts diagrams Ken posted and that I found on the Cub Cadet web site.

I don't know what I was thinking in my previous calculations, but if the deck is 48" wide, equal-length blades would be 16" long, not 12" long. This means that the center-to-center distance between the outer pulleys would be 32" with a theoretical belt length of 32 * 2 = 64" + 15" for (2) 5" dia spindles (5"*pi/2) = 79" leaving 11" for the idler pulley, which seems like way too much to me.

A 50" wide deck would need one blade to be 18" for a center-to-center distance of 34" * 2 = 68" + 15" for a set of 5" pulleys = 83" leaving 7" for the idler, and I just think that is still too much: 7" will cover almost 50% of the circumference of a 5" pulley.

A 60" deck takes you over 90" -- 40" * 2 = 80" + 15" = 95" without any slack for the idler pulley.

See my previous posts for all the reasons why you should get the part from the dealer or one of our sponsors, although you will probably have to call them to get one on order.

Jeremiah - Man clean yer blinders and save yourself a lot of cipherin'.

Randy wanted to know the size of the TRANS belt , not deck belt.

Latest posts

Back