• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

How Difficult to Replace Wiring Harness

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a new wiring harness for my 122 and want to get it installed. The tractor is up and running so no issues. It looks like most of the wiring is as from the factory though some colors suggests segments have been replaced.
How difficult is replacing the wiring harness for a complete novice? Any disassembly needed? Any tricks of the trade I need to know?

First off, download a copy of the wire diagram from this site and study it somewhat.
Take pictures of where the wires on your Cub are now and make notes
Remove the old harness and make notes about just what comes and goes to where and you will know just how hard (or not) the task will be.
Your new harness will (should) have al the correct colored wires in the correct place with the correct connectors.
Good luck!

Richard,the hardest part for me was removing old harness from rusted clamps covered with crud along the frame.They are not easy to access...certainly need to look at wiring dia. to be sure of connections..

I made my own harness from scratch for my 782. I would suggest taking masking tape to mark the ends of your new harness as to where it goes BEFORE disconnecting the old harness.
This way you have a picture in your mind that all connections are accounted for.

I made my own harness from scratch for my 782. I would suggest taking masking tape to mark the ends of your new harness as to where it goes BEFORE disconnecting the old harness.
This way you have a picture in your mind that all connections are accounted for.
This.
I redid my 100 using rolls of wire the same way. Masking tape and a sharpie. Even if you don't know what is what, just mark the end of the wire with a number, then mark what you took it off with the same number (or draw a little picture and mark that).
It's pretty simple and I did mine in about 2 hours...👍😎👍

Tony, I did the same but 1 wire at a time,worked out fine.Just took a while.I most certainly did not end up with same colors..
No, definitely not the same color wires. I did have access to many different colors so it did help. I made a nail board so it was all layed out and cloth taped. It went in as a big one piece harness. It's been installed over 10 years now.

This might be helpful:

122Manual_00.jpg

122Manual_01.jpg

122Manual_02.jpg

I like to refurbish the wire clamps/clips when I do any wiring changes. I sandblast the rusty clips to clean up the rust and to remove the crumbling rubber insulation. I then paint them with silver paint and use heat shrink to re-insulate them. Here's a refurbished one from one of my model 125s, the 122 should have the same style wire clips.

WIRE_CLIP_BEFORE.jpg

^^^ Before. ^^^

WIRE_CLIP.jpg

^^^ After. ^^^

While not the same clips as on a 122, Here's a little info that might be helpful. When I refurbished my Original, I added lights, I couldn't find original style clips so I bought something similar from McMaster-Carr and modified them. I used a nibbling tool to open up the mounting hole and to trim the upper part of the clip. I then added heat shrink tubing. While the heat shrink tubing was still hot I use a needle nose pliers with smooth tips to squeeze the end of the heat shrink to seal it. After it cools I trim off the excess.

Clips2.jpg

Clips1.jpg

Clips before modification.

nibbler_01.jpg

Nibbling tool and clips.

Clips_after_Nibbler_2.jpg

Before and after photos of clip.

Heat_Shrink_01.jpg

Unmodified clip, heat shrink tubing and modified clip with heat shrink tubing before heating.

Heat_Shrink_02.jpg

Heated shrink tubing with sealed end, before and after trimming excess heat shrink.

DONE.jpg

Finished clip.

Latest posts

Back