• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

1450 belt issue

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When properly adjusted with the correct belt the pulleys should be straight across from one another.
Are you sure you have the correct belt AND pulleys?
From where I sit, it looks as though either the belt is too small or the pulley is too large/wide and the adjustable one is slanted too far back indicating that it needs to be adjusted some to come into alignment with the left

The pulley and belt are correct. But yes they were even/ straight across when started. But 15 mins later this happened. Almost like the belt was old

Lot of issues here...first is that you can't use a 44"/50" mule drive on a tiller without straightening the pulley brackets. They are bent slightly because the center pulley on those decks is offset to one side. The belt needs to be tightened a lot, and it appears those idler pulleys might be for a 5/8" belt, not 3/8".

I believe Mat nailed it then.
Kile, You need to straighten those pulley hangers out so they are in line with the driven pulley on the tiller then.
The mule drive you are using is for a 44" or 50 " deck and not a tiller.
I knew something was amiss in that picture.

I believe Mat nailed it then.
Kile, You need to straighten those pulley hangers out so they are in line with the driven pulley on the tiller then.
The mule drive you are using is for a 44" or 50 " deck and not a tiller.
I knew something was amiss in that picture.

Odd that that is the issue. This unit was bought brand new. And never an issue until the original belt came off. I will try to find another belt and straighten the pulley arms

I don’t have a tiller. A few years back I had lots of issues with mower drive belt. After much frustration I removed entire mule-drive assembly. There was lots of wear on the pulley brackets & mounting shaft. This was causing some alignment issues. Once all that was repaired belt issues disappeared. A deck belt now lasts 3+ years.
I can only assume that the brackets themselves, once mower & tractor was in use were “dancing” all over the place.

From the parts lookup

Ref:
IH-62383-C91
Tiller Front Drive Service | -Required to mount on 86, 108, 109, 128, 129, 149, 169, 800, 1000, 1200, 1250, 1450, 1650- -400,000 & above- -Replaces P/N IH-55032-C91

I do not have the time right now, but it would be a good study to pull up the drive parts breakdown for the tiller (noted above) and compare part numbers of the components to the same for the deck mule drive.

I am sure they both contain some of the same, BUT NOT ALL of the same parts. Would be interesting to note just which ones are different though.

Back