• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Kt17s series 2 wont run in 782

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imiklowski

displayname
Isaiah Miklowski
I have a 782 that i recently picked up. it has a kt17s series 2 that was installed in 02. always started easy and ran great up until now. yesterday I was plowing snow with it for about a half hour then it sputtered a little then continued working for about ten minutes then died. It will start and run on low throttle with the choke on for about a minute but if i take the choke off it dies within 10 seconds. it will start at full throttle with choke but die in 10 seconds or less. wont run with out the choke. figured fuel line clog but have fuel before and after the pump and pump is working. I'm going to tear the carb apart shortly. I'm not to familiar with these motors so I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction. I don't want to waste time if there is another common problem I'm overlooking.

Well, it's something in the fuel system...I'd start by verifying that the fuel filter isn't clogged and that the fuel pump is good. Because it runs at low throttle, that makes me think the fuel pump is bad. You can get a cheap fuel pressure gauge at Harbor Freight. If you connect it to the output of the pump and crank over the tractor (disconnect the plug wires first so it can't start) it should immediately pump up to about 2.5 psi and hold it. If the needle on the gauge flops around, the pump is bad. A fuel pump failure is usually something that happens all of the sudden like you've described.

Isaiah (great name, by-the-way): I think Matt is pointing you in the right direction, the fuel pump is a common point of failure, and fuel can get in the crankcase causing you to lose your rods or main bearings and perhaps catastrophic failure. Get out your wallet, because the replacement pumps are expensive (in my opinion). Many people go back with electric fuel pumps; I use one in my 782.
smile.gif

I believe Matt & Jeremiah are right about it poss. being the fuel pump. NAPA handles Kohler and their brand fuel pumps and could save you some money.

Isaiah, I have a 782 with a series 1 engine that developed problems very similar to what you describe. I made all the checks that everyone has suggested to you but couldn't solve the problem. I have no explanation for the solution but new spark plugs were the answer. I finished last years mowing season without a problem.

Well I finally got some time to play around with it. cleaned and adjusted the carb the day it happened and got nothing so today I went back and checked the pump and got 2.5 and it held with no noticeable bleed down. It started with starting fluid but ran rough. Went to do spark plugs, pulled them, then decided to put them back in and crank it over to see if I was even getting fuel to the cylinders. well she decided to start. who knows why. Only thing I can think of is its a little warm today and maybe I had fuel/ice in the lines, but the pump shot fuel about 2 foot which is why I didn't think it was the pump but who knows, maybe moisture in the coil or connections. Did the plugs anyway and she is happy so I am happy. thank you everyone for the help.

On another note the pump has a wine to it on start up but quiets and isn't noticeable after warm up. I know on power-steering pumps its usually fluid level but the level is fine. I am going to change the fluid when I get the time just because, but are there any problem i should watch for, or is this a symptom of a larger problem like a weak or dieing pump?

Back