• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

SLT1550 runs fine 15 min then rough idle, then dies. Any help?!

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Moore

My SLT1550 won’t stay running. It’s worse when I engage the blades. I can start it and it will run ok for about 10-15 minutes… then the engine will start bogging and sputtering and die. I have replaced the fuel filter, fuel pump, spark plugs (properly gaped), carburetor, air filter, and oil filter! Can anyone help? I’m about to throw in the towel and chuck it! 😆

Bob,I'm assuming the fuel tank is under seat...here's a thought because it sounds like you're running out of fuel.Unhook gas line at filter and blow back with air pressure.If the line is plugged partially that should clear it temporarily. I've found lots of unusual items in tanks,stones,toys,rags,sticks..It could also be a vacuum issue that tank is not breathing thru cap vent...

Bob,I'm assuming the fuel tank is under seat...here's a thought because it sounds like you're running out of fuel.Unhook gas line at filter and blow back with air pressure.If the line is plugged partially that should clear it temporarily. I've found lots of unusual items in tanks,stones,toys,rags,sticks..It could also be a vacuum issue that tank is not breathing thru cap vent...
Thanks Gary! I have loosened the gas cap in case it is not breathing any more, but I haven't thought about blowing back through the line from the filter to the tank. I'll give that a try!

Bob,I have a small (2 qt) gas tank that I use to test systems . With long hose I mount it on steering wheel and hook it on fuel pump.Just a couple of cups of gas is enough to run quite a while without driving..Put a shutoff on hose!! 1550 is not that old but todays alcohol is sabotaging old hose lines.??

I too was thinking a Venting issue. You disproved that.
Second thought was an issue I had with a new-to-me Push mower. 1 minute 47 seconds it would die. Scratch head, start again and 1,47 it would die. Issue was the carburetors gas Seat got soft and mushy and, although it was seating, the through hole was way reduced. The bowl runs down, Needle valve opens bit flow of gas could not keep up with demand. Bit you say you replaced carburetor?
Ok, maybe look at Coil breaking down as it gets up?

I had a push mower that would would get weak and die when hot. After a cooldown it would run fine for a while. Turned out to be the exhaust valve clearance was too small when cold, and when the valve got hot, it lost all clearance, and was held off the seat.

Latest posts

Back