• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

K301AQS Help

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theaton

displayname
Todd Heaton
I have a K301AQS in my Ford LGT 125. I recently developed an oil leak from where I thought was around the breather cover area. Apon inspection, I found the leak to be from the governor stop? I am talking about the partially threaded rod located between the governor arm and the carb. I installed a piston and rings in this engine fall of last year. The governor was not touched at that time. I dont know how long the engine was run with this "stop" backed out. After carefully tightening the "stop" the engine still runs fine. The gov adj has also been set and rechecked.
I have checked the Kholer Man(maybe not well enough) but does anyone have a good description of what this "stop" does?

This is going from memory MANY years ago, but Your talking about the Phillips-Headed screw with the smooth shank that threads into the block right by where the governor shaft comes out that the throttle arm clamps onto with the little tierod attached that moves the throttle blade/shaft on the carb correct?

The plastic governor gear with the flyweights spins on a smooth steel shaft pressed into the block and the smooth shank on special screw bears against the face of the governor drive gear to keep it in place so it properly engages the cam gear which drives the governor.

As long as the screw only backed out a little, maybe a turn or two of a screwdriver, enough to leak oil but still hold the gear on the shaft no harm should have been done.

If it loosened to the point where it almost fell out, that means there wasn't much of the shaft left holding the gear on the shaft, I think there's about a half inch of threads on that screw right under the head, which means the screw moved about an inch.

That governor gear & flyweights are the LAST parts to be removed from the engine after total disassembly. Hope You don't have to replace them. Not sure but You may be able to see the faces of the gear with a small inspection mirror by removing the cam gear cover.

I'm like You, I never automatically replace the governor or governor shaft during a rebuild, even though they're a PITA to replace and do have a tendency to fail sometimes. I rebuilt a K301 about 15-16 yrs ago and the machine shop that ground the valves & bored the block slammed the block around and broke the tab off the governor shaft. Luckily I discovered it during clean-up before assembly. Took the old shaft back and explained the situation and they wouldn't give Me a new shaft. I've rebuilt several engines since but haven't walked back into that shop since. I'll buy parts ANYPLACE BUT THERE, and drive about 80 miles one-way for machine work.

Thanks Dennis, that is the part I am talking about. The shaft backed out about a 1/4 inch, I will do some more investigating tonight and see if any damage was done.

I pulled the cam cover this evening, and found the gov gear(assy) sitting on top of the cam gear in the non-driven position
bash.gif
. So apart it came!
153396.jpg

153397.jpg

Hard to make out in the pic, but the lighter areas on the gov gear are chunks missing. I am going to visit my local small engine shop in the AM. Hopefully a new gov gear and gasket set, I hope to be back in business.
Dennis F., PITA to replace... I have that feeling all over right about now!

TODD - Too bad about having to tear the engine ALL apart, but it's better that You found the problem than to have it teat Itself apart.

It'll run fine for a LONG time now.

Dennis F., I am glad that I caught this before other damage happened. It was kind of educational for me to actually "see" how the gov works. It was one of those,... now it makes sense moments.

I thought to myself this little part can't cost that much(knowing full well that little parts can be $$$$$). I was relieved when I left my local dealer with a new gov assy., and a couple gaskets for under 30 bucks. Engine is 90% together and all most ready to install.
Becka(wife) asked what my fathers day plans were... get the engine in and cut the grass!!!

Engine should last a good while now(hopefully) New piston/rings, gaskets, gov assy. Thanks again for your knowledge Dennis F.

Latest posts

Back