• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

It' Alive!!

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

terryflohr

IHCC Supporter
Looks like the last remaining set screw in the PTO is not going to come out. If I put a pulley on the PTO will it pull off with just the one set screw in place? This is very frustrating. Tried using a magnet, tried tapping with a hammer to make the broken hex piece fall out. Broke a cobalt bit. I can see the piece of hex bit is still in it but it is wedged in there.
What exactly or where exactly does that set screw contact? If I use a puller can it cause serious damage to the PTO or even worse, the crankshaft? I'm halting any further attempts until I can get some additional information and ideas.

Thank you again for your assistance.
Jammed Set Screw PTO.jpg

The inner set of setscrews is pointed and goes behind the bearing on the crankshaft. It's probably not going to pull off without removing the setscrew first. Here's a pic from the service manual:

MechanicalPTO.png

Do you have an acetylene torch? Heating the set screw and broken hex key piece to a dull red will remove the heat treatment and allow you to drill them out.

Do not put a puller on the basket. Make sure you only pull the pto.
You could try and see if the pto and bearing will pull off. Spray some pb blaster between the pto and the basket.
You will have to remove the thrust button. Put a nut between the puller tip and crankshaft to keep the puller tip from scarring the crankshaft.
When you tighten the puller, Don't put a lot of pressure on it. After tightening the puller, tap on it with a hammer and then tighten the puller again. You may get lucky and get it to move.
Just keep tapping and tightening until it comes off. Just don't crank down on it too hard. If you can't get it to move, stop and try something else.

Last edited:
A safe option is to sacrifice the triangular spring, use a punch, screwdriver, etc. to destroy the ball retainer in the bearing, move the balls to one side, and pull off the PTO and the outer bearing race. Then you can use heat and get the setscrew out. The inner race will come off either easily or with a puller once you knock the eccentric lock loose. If the spring was rusty you should replace it anyway. Not that expensive.

A safe option is to sacrifice the triangular spring, use a punch, screwdriver, etc. to destroy the ball retainer in the bearing, move the balls to one side, and pull off the PTO and the outer bearing race. Then you can use heat and get the setscrew out. The inner race will come off either easily or with a puller once you knock the eccentric lock loose. If the spring was rusty you should replace it anyway. Not that expensive.
Thank you rfunk. For some reason I did not see your post. I appreciate the input. That will be my last resort. I'm waiting for my neighbor, who is a machinist, to come back from his hunting trip and see what he says about it.

The inner set of setscrews is pointed and goes behind the bearing on the crankshaft. It's probably not going to pull off without removing the setscrew first. Here's a pic from the service manual:

View attachment 154674

Do you have an acetylene torch? Heating the set screw and broken hex key piece to a dull red will remove the heat treatment and allow you to drill them out.
I do have an oxy/acetylene but need new hoses. Hoping to get those this weekend. Another great idea. Thank you for your input.

Do not put a puller on the basket. Make sure you only pull the pto.
You could try and see if the pto and bearing will pull off. Spray some pb blaster between the pto and the basket.
You will have to remove the thrust button. Put a nut between the puller tip and crankshaft to keep the puller tip from scarring the crankshaft.
When you tighten the puller, Don't put a lot of pressure on it. After tightening the puller, tap on it with a hammer and then tighten the puller again. You may get lucky and get it to move.
Just keep tapping and tightening until it comes off. Just don't crank down on it too hard. If you can't get it to move, stop and try something else.
Great advice. I love this forum. Lots of helpful folks with great ideas. Thank you mgwin.

Yupp. The only dummy is the one who refuses to learn from others' mistakes. We've all had our turn making mistakes, learning the hard way. Eventually, we learn how to be smarter. This forum has definitely helped me.

Latest posts

Back