IH collectables

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll be dipped in what this is throwing:
fan.gif

In early 1951, the United States Army through the Springfield Armory contracted International Harvester to produce M1 Garand rifles, and from 1953 to 1956 produced 337,623 rifles in total, according to the Army Ordnance Department.
happy.gif

Thank you Wikipedia!
happy.gif

Yes, it's mine!
buttrock.gif
(and I thought a #1 cart was cool to have) From what I can tell it was produced in 1954. So it prolly spent some time in Korea. I bought it at an auction Saturday. Of course I spent way too much money so I will be having a Shultzie "OOPS" sale. (Please keep an eye out in the classifieds.) I got the bayanette and about 250 rounds which 24 of them are tracers. Here's a couple more pics.
Can anyone tell me what the markings are on the stock?
245452.jpg

245453.jpg

Shultzie-
Very nice find, I've been looking for one of those for a very long time. Have you had the receiver apart, do all the numbers match, or is it just a Harvester receiver? Without sounding too political, I HOPE things CHANGE in November so that the last of the lend-lease Garands make it out of Korea. From the guys that know serial numbers well, there is a ton of IHC Garands in storage over there.

Wyatt,
I haven't had a chance to check yet. I plan on tearing it down this weekend. I hope it all matches.

TOM - You're going to have to explain who Irma Harding is to most of the people here on this forum.

"I"rma "H"arding was a fictional character invented by the Internatioanal Harvester company to promote refridgeration equipment to the Mrs. Farmers of rural America.
Here's a 1953 version of Irma from one of my IH cookbooks.
248188.jpg

Tom,
You forgot to show the backside.
248652.jpg

BTW, there's been 72 cans out the door here in less than 3 weeks, LOL

Interesting part is the "IH" Irma Harding wasn't a real person.

I hope Irma wasn't into boiled peanuts....... can't acquire the taste (for that and grits)..
1a_scratchhead.gif

I don't know who the promoter of this collectable is, but it's a great idea.. Sandy and I , during our collectable phase, bought several "retro" items, including Crayola crayons and other still in production items in retro tins, they are now several years old and I like 'em as much as antique ones.

I bought a can of the nuts and thought they were very good, not too salty and not too oily. My understanding is that they are omming out with more products.

Gerry,
My niece inlaw from Geogia ask me once if I'd like to try boiled peanuts. I said sure I'll take a bowl of peanuts. Then I realized she said boiled instead of bowl I thought I would try them anyway.
eww.gif
Man I thought that was nasty and I normally like anything peanut.
1a_scratchhead.gif

Gotta really listen close to that southern draw.

Shultzie & Gerry I: As a resident of "peanut country" (they're just about through harvesting them here), the same folks that like boiled peanuts (and I've tried them, not crazy about the texture), are the same folks who are likely to dump a pack of salted peanuts into a Coca-Cola BEFORE they drink it. They swear its good, I swear that is where I draw the line --I haven't tried it and I don't intend to . . . whether or not Irma Harding recommends it!
smile.gif

I agree with the assessment of the Whitley Company peanuts, they appear to be the same peanuts that many companies around here use for Christmas gifts to their best customers. They are large, "fancy" quality nuts and they don't use a lot of salt or oil in the processing.

One way of fixing peanuts, that I learned here in North Carolina, is to buy peanuts "raw" (that is, shelled, but still with the skin on) and roast them in the toaster oven --makes a great treat!

Some of the locals tell me about times they've gone out hunting deer, but returned empty-handed, but full-tummy'ed because they had spent all their time eating peanuts straight from the turned up roots drying in the fields.
smile.gif

Edit: Gerry, the trick to fixing grits is to get the consistency the way you like it (thick or thin) and eat them with lots of butter and pepper with salt if dietary restricts allow. They fill the cracks in nicely to an egg breakfast with country ham and red-eye gravy (which can also be used on the grits, by-the-way) with a big, fat cheese biscuit with a little molasses ---mmmmmmm Good!

For all my northern friends...
it's Tom's salted peanuts in bottled Dr. Pepper...
"canned" boiled peanuts are tolerable,but we boil green peanuts with lots of salt...
we roast 'em still in the shell after they are dried...
and we cook whole shell nuts in a little grease
in a frying pan...
and grits 'n bacon with a little sugar and butter are too fine...
and ALL fish are better when ya' drop 'em in hot oil...
'scuse me while I take my Lipitor..
devil2.gif

Latest posts

Back