• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

IH 460 Forklift Garage Sale find

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

digger

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
IHCC Sponsor
IHCC Supporter
displayname
Digger
We had area garage sales this weekend so I decided to hit one that looked good.
I didn't know just how good until I asked the guy if his forklift was for sale.
He said everything had a price, (That to me means,Don't ask) LOL
BUT, to make a long story short, I drove it 4 1/2 miles home, LOL
Funny this is, the power steering didn't start working until I got about 1/2 mile from home!
152783.jpg

152784.jpg

152785.jpg

Charlie,
That's a pretty big rig just to haul that pile of wood. If your going to do it, you might as well do it big.
thumbsup_old.gif

yikes.gif

Charlie-
I know I've told you this to your face before, but now I want everybody to hear it....

I hate you!!!
rant.gif

roflol.gif
rofl.gif
err.gif

Charlie; After retirement and as a favor to a friend i ran a lift like that one for almost two years. He had a stoneyard and sold field stone as well as boulders up to about 6000 pounds. We loaded unloaded several trucks daily and that lift perfomed flawlessly.

CHARLIE - I hope You "Hem-Haw'd" around for at least a second or two before You whipped Your wallet out. Good tires, good sheet metal, even the forks aren't bent!

I know the paint is a very faded construction orange, but I'd plan on a paint job soon, It's supposed to be yellow & white! And I'd take that backup alarm off, they're annoying as heck.

That thing would make a really AWESOME elevator for storing stuff in a loft in a barn, the mast looks tall enough to even reach the third floor!

Art,
clappy.gif

Ray,
I've got a couple boulders that I'm gonna have to play with for the wife too.
thumbsup_old.gif

Dennis,
To be honest, I really thought about going for 400 for a MICRO SECOND, but I thought it might piss'um off so I said sold before they had time to think.
Besides, it kinda took me by surprise when the price was given to me anyway.
biggrin.gif

Charlie, nice find!
greenthumb.gif

Looks kinda like this one:<font color="ffffff">. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .</font> \/ <font color="ffffff"> . . . . . . . . . . . . . .</font> \/ <font color="ffffff"> . . . . . . . . . . . . . .</font> \/

152826.jpg

I decided to find out why the power steering didn't work until it got really warmed up!
I can't believe it even raised the mast with this setup, LOL
152902.jpg

Is that a WOODEN cover plate on that?
jawdrop.gif

Either way it looks like there's quite a bit of moisture in that system. Better flush it out.

That's a tough deal and all, but I still hate you for finding this deal..
biggrin.gif

Art,
There is a piece of plywood inside the cast cover plate that is NOT supposed to be there, LOL
That black rubber glob/gasket ain't either!
And that big hole in the filter has a spring loaded check valve in there that also NOT there!
And the fluid, well that's another matter. That pretty much could pass for 2% or skim.
biggrin.gif

Digger,

That oil aint even dirty compaired to what the oil in the 460 I changed the filter on a couple weeks back, just to get the power stering working so I could use the tractor to plow and disk my three small food plots with.

By the way,
Nice tractor
drool.gif

Charlie-
What's up with the wood and all of the other crap in there????

You can't teach STUPID to THAT degree!!
bottom.gif

<font size="-2">Some people just should not be allowed to own equipment!</font>

Art, I know that you said 'You Cant Fix Stupid'...but there must have been a reason. that plywood was cut to fit the cover plate nicely, dont know how the rubber thingy fit in, but the obvious thing is someone did some work to get that filter to stay in place. Is it the wrong filter?? Where the check valve go to?? Was it supposed to be in the filter hole. Can one pump water as well as hydraulic fluid??? Thats only a filter, dont think it make that much difference unless its completely clogged. Or, can water clog it up so hydro fluid cant pass thru...
1a_scratchhead.gif

Well the PO put the plywood in there and the rubber thingy to plug the big hole in the filter where the spring loaded check valve with a screen was supposed to go and it has another spring piece that fits against the cover plate to keep the filter in place.
I changed that today and fired it up and I now have my power steering back!
I figure I'll have to pull the PS pump and go through it. Running it that way for who knows how long, probably wasn't good on it.
That and the fact that there's blue silicon oozing out around it, I figure the goof prolly did something equally as stupid with it as well, LOL
I'm going to run it for a few hours, change the crappy skim milk fluid and the filter and I'll be ready to go.

CHARLIE - That 460 has a "reverser" intead of the TA correct? I think it was located in the back of clutch housing same place as the TA. Does the forklift use a separate hyd system? The tractor hyd. should run the power steering, Unfortunately the 460/560 was the first FARMALL to use the rearend as the hyd. system oil supply so all that GUNK is lubing Your rearend too!
At least the reverser isn't as fussy about oil as the TA, and most anything liquid and not corrosive will lube the rest of the rearend. I almost think NO filter would have been better than that cobbled up mess the PO did.

Dennis,
Yepper on the reverser, and yes it's all one system for both. Kind of a crappy setup, but hey! It's work for many years.
biggrin.gif

Of course it helps to do just a tiny bit of no brainer maintenance once and freakin while too!

Charlie P. I must say that is one neat little outfit. It is too bad I didn't know about your desire to collect IH items. Back in 2000 or 2001 when the Perry, Iowa CaseIH dealer retired he had an almost mint 74 series yellow and white forklift on his auction. I didn't see it sell since I was watching some other things. By near mint the only scratches were on the forks and where someone had placed their feet on the floorboards.

BTW... the machinery dealer in town as a couple of nice all original lookings 66 Series (a 1066 and a 1466). You don't need one of those by chance.

MARLIN - OF COURSE Charlie needs a 1466. If His "Snowplow" or moving truck get stuck ain't NO WAY any of His CC's will move those things!

Guy over at the RPM forum posted a pic the other day of a "2404" that looked like it had a much shorter forklift on it. Not NEAR the machine Charlie got just on His Good Looks alone. His 460-based forklift should have the 6-cyl. 221 cid engine, the 2404 just had the little 135 cid-4 which is an over-grown FARMALL C engine. My Brother-in-Law had a 2404 loader tractor when He started farming 25+ yrs ago. Tractor wasn't real powerful but the loader was a BEAST for a farm loader.

Like Tom H. says, IH's construction equipment like their crawlers, endloaders, & scrapers had issues but some of their other equip. was as good or better than anything else avail. at the time. Brother-in-law replaced His 2404 with a skid-steer and a larger gas tractor to run His big mix-mill in winter so He didn't have to try starting His diesels, Those green & yellow tractors didn't like being "Disturbed" when it was really cold outside. Like DAD always said, He kept one around to remind Him to never buy another one!

Dennis F. I'll get a picture of the nicest looking 1466. It is a 1976 model. I'll post it and we can take votes as to if Charlie should get it. Since it is only a block away I can't store it inside (No place big enough) I can drive it... I mean store it until he can pick it up.
biggrin.gif

Back