• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

HyTran leak

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rswartz

displayname
Randy Swartz
I have a 1711 Hydro. I recently replaced the rear cover gasket because I thought it was leaking. The leak is coming from further under the tractor. Any ideas come to mind from any of you where this fluid may be coming from? Any help is appreciated.

Cork seal between hydro and rear case, check valve, suction tube, trunion shaft seal........lots of stuff can leak up there, cork gasket is the most common.

Like steve said could be a bunch of stuff. I'd take your tunnel cover off, clean everything real good and run it. I just noticed a leak on my 782 and thought it was coming from underneath. Ending up being one of my automatic dump valves weeping fluid out the top. Dang those are expensive.

adrian - Last summer I took the tunnel cover off to replace a spirol pin and noticed fluid coming out of the weep hole on one of the check valves. What do those things cost? Also, can anything be done down inside of the pump under the check valves, replace springs, etc.?

You can either get a used one off epay, from the forsale/wanted section here or a new one cost around 100.00. If it loses fluid through that weep hole then it's a problem with the valve not anything in the pump to my knowledge.

The suction tube on my 982 was bent up really bad and had a small crack in it. It wouldn't leak unless the Hy-Tran was warmed up from running for a while. Took me forever to figure out what was wrong. Why did they run the suction tube in such a vulnerable place? If yours has taken a hit or two from high centering or what ever you might have damaged it or the connection to or from it.

-everettdale

Everett:

Never had a problem with anything hitting the Return Tube on any of my four Hydros...!!!

Oops I meant return tube not suction tube sorry. I'm surprised you haven't hit it on any of your tractors. mine takes a pretty good beating, but maybe I shouldn't try to run my tractor like a four wheeler. I'm always getting it stuck on my rocky and swampy property. It's the only vehicle I have besides my toyota that can get around.

-everettdale

Everett D. It sounds as if you need a four wheeler to navigate your property. The clues are; (Quote. "I'm always getting it stuck on my rocky and swampy property. It's the only vehicle I have besides my toyota that can get around." And even then expect the four wheeler to have breakdowns. When you say that you are surprised that more of us don't break the parts you describe maybe you should consider that a lot of us don't use our Cub Cadets (or for that matter any of the other brands of tractors that we may collect) in a way that you do.

The narrowframe hydros had a guard there...perhaps you should get one of those and add it to your 982.

Everett, AFAIK the 982 did not have a skid plate under the hydro suction tube like the narrow frame Cubs have, you may want to find one to install. I think it was only used on the narrow frames and was dropped with the 86, 1x8/9 series. (Might even have been dropped mid 73, 1x6/7 series????) I believe there were only two versions the one used on the 123 through the 1x5 and the one used on the 1x7. Here's a photo from a tiller manual that shows the earlier style. The later style used tubing as the support brackets in place of the flat stock. I may have to take a photo of the two styles side by side if I can find the tube style one I have...

153061.jpg

Under edit: Dang, Matt typed faster than I did.
bash.gif
But I posted a photo.
proud.gif

This'll give you an idea of what the 1x7 version looks like.

153063.jpg

Kraig-

Interesting, I've never seen the 1x7 one...I think the 127 I have has the 1x5 style. I've got at least 2 or 3 of those things laying around.

Matt, I'm not sure which I prefer. If I ever get around to building the Cub Cadet based side-by-side utility vehicle I want to build I'll have to decide which one will do the best job of protecting it. So far the only progress I've made is cut and paste...

153067.jpg

Now I'll have to try harder to dig out the two versions of skid plates tonight and get some photos.

Thanks for the photos everyone. I was thinking about making some kind of guard but didn't really know where to start.

As for using/collecting tractors. I sometimes feel bad about "abusing" my cub knowing that some of you guys would cringe if you saw me trying to push a stump out of the ground or driving it through a bramble patch to cut a path for the horses. But I bought mine to be used as a tractor, and because it was the toughest thing I'd ever seen in it's size range. Maybe some day I'll restore it to it's former beauty, but not until I find something tougher. I love my cub!

Randy- sorry about hijacking your post, wasn't my intention.

-everettdale

Everett, note what Matt wrote with regard to the skid plates:

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>quote:</font>

I've got at least 2 or 3 of those things laying around.<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>

Might not hurt to email him and inquire about them, one might be available to purchase...
wink.gif
If so, it might even bolt up without drilling any holes, worst case, you'd only have to drill two holes.

I thought I had one of the 1x7 style that was not mounted. Oh well, here are the two styles. I think I see why <FONT COLOR="ff0000">I</FONT><FONT COLOR="000000">H</FONT> redesigned it for the 1x7 series, the external brake linkages wouldn't fit with the 123, 1x5 style.

153080.jpg

153081.jpg

153082.jpg

153083.jpg

153084.jpg

Everett - Don't worry about hijacking any of my posts. I enjoy reading them all!

Kraig,

Was the 1x7 in the picture once owned by UPS? That looks like the right color for them? What is the story on the color, and the "nut" on the hydro filter?

Latest posts

Back