• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

How do i test a fuel solenoid?

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bproctor

displayname
Bob G Proctor
I have an 18hp B&S Vanguard, twin

It starts and runs for a few seconds then dies. Acts like no fuel. I have checked the pump & filter. Both are good. Getting spark when it dies. Plenty of fuel in bowl when it dies.

I thought the purpose of the fuel solenoid was to stop the flow of fuel when the key is turned off. Right or wrong?

If I remember correctly other fuel solenoids would click or deactivate when the ignition is turned on. Nothing happens when I turn the key so I removed it and did a direct test. Negative to solenoid body and positive to red wire. Nothing happens.

Is this the correct way to test? Does this mean the solenoid is bad?

thanks for any input!

well
I was correct about how to test it.

Turned out there was a tarnish on the body of the solenoid. I used a scotch brite pad to clean it and then it tested correctly but would not work with the ignition.

Removed the ignition and wire connector, cleaned and crimped all the connectors and added electric grease.

Now it works correctly. Turn the key the solenoid clicks. Start the tractor and it runs like a champ.

Good Job, Bob.
thumbsup.gif
Way to go!

Latest posts

Back