• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Ground hornets

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Back in the day, when it was possible to walk away from a running rotary mower, my dad would position his push mower with a full tank over a yellow jacket hole and leave it. Pretty well took care of the problem.

With regard to this paper hornet nests, whatever you use, be it tossing gas or diesel on them, hornet spray, shotgun, a flaming torch, etc., do it at dusk or at night. During the daytime, fully 2/3 of them are off doing hornet things and when they return, they’ll be plenty ticked off and will remain so for 2-3 days. Not good if the nest is near your house or livestock. Don’t ask how I know.

Yes these where Yellow jackets
Wicked little buggers. Once they mess up and sting 🐝 me they’re done. Advance to the nest in a fog of chlorinated brake cleaner and hit them with a Sevin bomb!
IMG_0169.jpeg

Some years back I mowed over a nest of yellow jackets. Not being into poisons or torch/napalm displays I waited until dark. I took an old terry cloth hand towel and soaked it with some gasoline and put it over the hole to the nest. Next day all were dead except for a few grubs. No drama, fire, or poison, just some fumes gassing them and that's that. By the way that ground nest was HUGE! 18" down it was about 20" across and 10" thick near the center.

Now paper nests are another story. On the house eaves I suit up and use a shop vac at night. That'll kill them too and the bodies and nest stuff just get dumped. I haven't had to mess with tree nests but I have heard of spray glue being pretty effective to control them and then dropping it in a bucket with carb cleaner sprayed in it and the cover latched on or a section of wood with a weight on it.

Honey bees or any pollinating vespid I'll call a bee keeper. There is guy in the valley who collects stinging ones for their venom and he'll come by remove them for free except the European wasps that just need eradicated. He especially likes hornets, apparently they have a lot of venom.

Some years back I mowed over a nest of yellow jackets. Not being into poisons or torch/napalm displays I waited until dark. I took an old terry cloth hand towel and soaked it with some gasoline and put it over the hole to the nest. Next day all were dead except for a few grubs. No drama, fire, or poison, just some fumes gassing them and that's that. By the way that ground nest was HUGE! 18" down it was about 20" across and 10" thick near the center.

Now paper nests are another story. On the house eaves I suit up and use a shop vac at night. That'll kill them too and the bodies and nest stuff just get dumped. I haven't had to mess with tree nests but I have heard of spray glue being pretty effective to control them and then dropping it in a bucket with carb cleaner sprayed in it and the cover latched on or a section of wood with a weight on it.

Honey bees or any pollinating vespid I'll call a bee keeper. There is guy in the valley who collects stinging ones for their venom and he'll come by remove them for free except the European wasps that just need eradicated. He especially likes hornets, apparently they have a lot of venom.
I hate yellow jackets and will kill every nest I find. Most others I’ll leave alone unless they are in an area I’m prone to occupy. Never kill honey bees.
The casting video shows it if you watch the smoke but yellow jackets always have 2 or more entry/exit holes.

Yep, I only get the ones in occuppied areas. One was under bushes and I had to put my bee suit on extra thick with duct tape and gloves. They went crazy and followed me like a cloud, but also very confused. Apparently they know about faces and "eyes" and couldn't register where to get at me with my screened veil on. Once I cleared the hole I went back at night when they settled in and applied the gas rag treatment. The owner sure was happy that's all it took.

Sevin dust will eradicate any bees that you can apply it to the entrance of their nest. The higher the percentage the better it works.
I think the active ingredient in Devon dust has changed. Used to be the affective Carbaryl. Changing to less affective Bifenthrin, Zetarypermenthrin. Not sure if the new stuff works on anything anymore. You know... Govt forcing companies to alter the way they run business. Communism

Latest posts

Back