• This community needs YOUR help today!

With the ever-increasing fees of maintaining our vibrant community (servers, software, domains, email), we need help.
    We need more Supporting Members today.

Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of all aspects of IH Cub Cadet and other garden tractors.

Why Join?

• Exclusive Access: Gain entry to private forums.
    • Special Perks: Enjoy enhanced account features that enrich your experience, including the ability to disable ads.
    • Free Gifts: Sign up annually and receive exclusive IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum decals directly to your door!

This is your chance to make a difference. Become a Supporting Member today:

Upgrade Now

Good fences make good neighbors

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rmunday

displayname
Rick Munday
Question for farmers and others here - is it common in your area for neighbors to split femce costs?

When we put in a fence on the north side of our big property in Missouri, the rancher that owns the parcel north of us comes up after a couple hours and drops off tools, T posts and wire saying "I have to help you with part of this fence, it's the way we do things here".

Now this weekend, the rancher to the south is helping me move a fence line he put up years ago that's actually sitting on my property. It's only about 6' into my property but not long after my first visit he contacted me through the neighbor to the east to let me know of the "error" on his part.

So, is this a common practice in your experience?

Rick, it is common practice in my neck of the woods in west central Wisconsin, or at least it was years ago when I last helped build fence at my parent's property.

I grew up 20-25 miles east of the Mississippi River east of the Quad-Cities in NW IL. I think the old saying was Each person was responsible for the half of the fence on their RIGHT as they faced the Neighbor looking OVER the Fence. So if Your Neighbor to the north and You share 1/2 mile of fence Your responsible for the eastern 1/4 mile and He's responsible for the western 1/4 mile.
Sounds like You have some Good Neighbors!

Denny, I recall some sort of formula like that but I don't remember the details. I was just the helper I didn't have to determine what part of the fence we built or maintained.
happy.gif

Rick,
I belive Dennis is correct, at least that is how we do things in this part of Wis.
The only problem we have once in a while is when said fence runs along more than one property, then things can get a bit tricky as to what part of the fence you maintain.
As far as your neighbor moveing a fence he put up in the wrong place, and that place being on your property it is to your best intress to help move the fence, as again in these parts if a fence is wrongly placed along a 40 or more acre of land and not moved within a set amount of time, you either loose the land or gain the land depending on what side of the line the fence is on.
I found this out when I had my 4 acres of land surveyed out of the 40 acres my dad owned. Seems the north line fence is 2 1/2 feet south on the east end and 10 feet south on the west end. Fence has been in place for more than 30 years, and instead of haveing the fence moved the porperty lines where adjusted to meet the layout. Now I have less than 4 acres due to the angle of the fence. Nothing I could do about it either acordding to the town chairman.

Rick,
Not common around here! They'll sue yo' a$$ and then maybe, just maybe say something to you.

Lonny, I'd move that fence in the middle of the night and see if anyone notices. :eek:)

I have doubt the guy had any intention of "taking" the property by fencing it in. He was just too honest about it when he realized I owned that piece.

Hell, he actually did us a favor for that 6' x 664' piece - his cattle kept it clear
bubbly.gif

Dennis' post sounds good and fair. And it seems to be that way in this area, good thing for me!

I was just wondering if my neighbors were really that good or just plain nuts!
taunt.gif

Kraig,
That would be possable except for the tree line would than be on the wrong side of the fence.

No one would notice a little thing like that would they?

Latest posts

Back