• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Garden 2009

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
153802.jpg

First harvest of the year. Brian., Eastern shore soil AND a cub!
Kraig., did you find any time for gardening this year?

Those zuccinis look awfully big! I try to pick mine when they are about 1 1/2 -2" in diameter. Of course my zuccini plants hve been stunted because of too much rain. Pulled all of the garlic and onions today. Left out to dry on a screen.

Brian., my wifes grandmother makes zuccinni bread, so I let them get a little big! More bread to eat! No rain for a couple days, I had to water the garden for the first time this year(just water, no miracle grow).

The garden looks good Todd. What do you spray your sweetcorn Silk with to keep the cornworms out? We have been using vegetable oil, but that can get expensive. We finall kept the bugs off the potatoes with some stuff i ordered for organic gardening. Just wanted to get the cornworms before they destroyed the corn.The corn is making ears now.
153831.jpg

153832.jpg

Todd, I planted several beds of garlic last fall. This spring I put in some tomato plants, just a few.

Luther, wow your corn and potatoes are looking great!

I am considering getting a planter, drill. to plant my garden, corn, beans, with. Brinly makes or made one for this, I think. Can anyone tell me how well they work? Are they available?

Luther, I may try the vegetable oil spraying. I dont have problems with cornworms(or I dont know). Only the 2nd year garden for me and I am more "green" than the garden! Very nice plot you have there!
Kraig., forgot about the garlic. Let us know how the tomatoes do.

The gardens are looking real good.
thumbsup_old.gif

Luther how are you going to get all those taters out of the ground?

Todd Nice looking lawn to go with your garden. I use to tear up the zuccini bread and fried green tomatoes. Not much better eating to be found.

Richard; With a 3000 ford and potato plow. I mostly help my brother. We have garden in three locations. He likes to garden with me because i have a good place to plant. We already have collards, kale, lettuce, mustard,carrots, peas,cucumbers, squash, tomatoes,beans, potatoes, cabbage, onions. Corn will be ready in about 1.5 weeks. Mostly a hobby but he sells a lot of vegetables. We are both retired and after a lot of years are finally enjoying what we are doing. He had to see to believe the work a cub cadet could do. I went over to his house and spread 5 ton of gravel with the 147 and he was totally impressed.

Luther,

The true sign of success. "after a lot of years are finally enjoying what we are doing."

The kids and I are going to pick corn this weekend. They said do not do it without them. They took the keys to the 128. I love it.
154193.jpg

154194.jpg

Grew a new (to me) type of tomato from seed this year
167877.jpg

<font size="+1">San Marzano

</font>
Had some problems with blossom end rot but seems to be mostly gone now <font size="-2">(after throwing away many fruits)

</font>
167878.jpg

Very impressive yield per plant.
167879.jpg

Nicely shaped.

These are Italian sauce tomatoes. Mario Batali from Food Network recomends these.
They sell for almost $6 a can around these parts.
Now if I can get some more ripened specimens I could do something!

Brian where did you get the seeds for those tomatoes? We looked here for those this spring We had most of our tomatoes to get that blossom end rot or the blight and die. We dug potatoes today and had a good crop yield. But we had a lot of them to rot probally due to to much rain.

Brian Lanasa,

Nice looking plants. Good color. Crisp leaves. From the top photo some of those look to be about half the size of egg plant.
thumbsup_old.gif

I read about a Tomato blight affecting plants from a major Southeast supplier. Affected were plants from Home Depot, Lowe's etc.
I try to grow from seed or buy from local greenhouses. With the 'big box stores' charging up to $1.50 or more per plant, it gets kind of ridiculous.
Also, if you were affected by blight, be sure not to compost your dead plants.
It is recomended to put plants in a plastic bag and dispose of.
The Blossom End Rot is caused mainly by uneven watering conditions (<font size="-2">like the monsoons that we had in Maryland in May and June.<font size="-2">)</font></font>and shouldn't be carried over to the next year.

Brian, looking good!
thumbsup.gif

One other note on growing tomatoes, most of the diseases that affect tomato plants is soil born, so keeping the soil off of the leaves will help reduce disease issues. The best way to do this is with some sort of mulch. I like to use plastic but grass clippings, cardboard, leaves, compost or some other mulch will work as well. This also helps to even out the moisture in the soil and will reduce the blossom end rot.

Here's a couple of photos showing how I use plastic mulch around tomato and pepper plants. The first was taken in July of 2006 and the second was taken in July of 2007. I only put in 7 or 8 tomato plants this year and have not taken any photos.

168008.jpg

168009.jpg

Brian L - Blossom end rot is a calcium deficiency. They have sprays for it and I've heard bone meal added to the soil can help. When I set my tomatoes out I put a single handful of pelleted lime in each hill, turn it in, then plant the plant. I also use a tablespoon of epsom salt after the plant has established. I don't know what type of soil you have but any farmer close by should have a world of knowledge about the soil and tomatoes in your parts.

Blossom End Rot tomatoes mostly gone.
Gonna make some sauce today!
168548.jpg

Plenty more will be ready for harvest in the days to come. Calling for rain all weekend.
I'm sure that'll help production. These San Marzanos(the plum shaped ones) are quite prolific.
The ones that don't look quite ripe are a yellow variety.

Brian - So the Food Lion stores in your area let you take the basket home with the groceries? What a deal! Good luck with the sauce; I'm sure it will be great.
Wayne

Latest posts

Back