• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Gardens 2023

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All doe's and little spotted ones. Don't have the heart to pop one of them. The wife has been out of work due to back surgery. She says she loves watching them play in the yard.
Wife does have a point. The fawns are cute. Chipmunks are cute too however after watching your labor go down the drain. Cute don't cut it.
As far as my flower gardens go, when I see any deer, any age, I take out my pellet gun. Just a few pumps gives them a sting in the butt that they remember.
Ground hogs, raccoon, chipmunks and skunk do not get the air pellet pop, they get the powder propelled option then buried

Concerning deer in the garden and flower beds,my wife bought a couple of these this spring. I told her she was wasting money in my opinion,I even laughed abit. I was severely proven wrong much to my surprise! They worked so well on the flower beds I had her buy me a couple for the gardens. I also have a motion sensored sprinkler that has worked wonders out at my watermelon and pumpkin patch. I have not had anything lost this year to deer. 1st year ever.

47888.jpeg

Tony,
Groundhogs are good eating!
The hide is kind of fatty textured, but the meat is lean. The four legs are about all that is worth fooling with.
Make sure when you skin it out, to remove the brown fat looking stuff in the armpit area.
I cook the legs in a pressure cooker to make them tender. Then take and batter them in a mixture of about 25% cornmeal, and 75% flour. Fry them in a skillet until they are crispy (like you would a squirrel or rabbit).
I convinced my wife to take a bite of one. Very hesitant, she finally did. She loved it! I told her they are a clean animal, only eating vegetation.

RAllison,
How long do those solar devices last?
I know after a year or two, solar lights quit working because the sun messes up the lens that absorbs the sunlight.

Concerning deer in the garden and flower beds,my wife bought a couple of these this spring. I told her she was wasting money in my opinion,I even laughed abit. I was severely proven wrong much to my surprise! They worked so well on the flower beds I had her buy me a couple for the gardens. I also have a motion sensored sprinkler that has worked wonders out at my watermelon and pumpkin patch. I have not had anything lost this year to deer. 1st year ever.
David,
The lens turns from clear to a milky white and doesn't let the light in as well.
This is the kind of damage done to plastic headlite lenses, sun turns 'em white. All kinds of useless remedies like toothpaste. And cloudy lites are a safety issue - can't see very far down the road. Go to Advance Auto and order Griot's Garage Ceramic Headlight Restoration Kit, severe, #11422, $25 bucks. Did my X5 two years ago, along with wife's Lexus - all clear still. Griot's guarantees the stuff, get the severe kit. Easy job.
Cheers, Jack

Use Bobbex for plants, flower beds and especially hosta. No fruit/veggies. Around here we have an evergrowing deer population; come mid Sept they are getting desperate and will eat stuff they didn't bother with before. With a pump sprayer, 14 ozs Bobbex to a gallon water, spray every four weeks, not five. It gets into the leaves, don't wash off. Been using ten or so years.
Cheers, Farmer Jack

Looks like you got your bases covered for fall Marty.
We are still getting some beans and maters and the last of the musk melons.
Have to pick up the butternut squash yet and that will be about it except for plowing son as it dries up some.
Les has a couple huge watermelons left yet
We are getting rain now fairly regular, raining now, nice a gentle, just what we need.
News says "Ol Miss" is a near record low levels!
The grass I seeded 2 and 3-4 weeks ago is doing great where we ground ot stumps and filled back in from dead ash trees & a HUGE walnut we took down last year. Sure did miss the shade bit NOT the mess!!

Well, I'm an old fart and life has taught me to be ready for winter by Oct. 1 and hope for the best until it comes..I pulled some tomato plants that still had green ones then hung them up, they will continue to ripen for a while..

Not exactly gardens, but wondering if any of you fellas mess with walnuts in the fall.
Letting them dry out while the temps are still decent
Anyone have a good recipe for a black walnut cake??

Attachments

• DSCN8300.JPG
    DSCN8300.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
David,Those appear to have husks still on.They are much easier to remove now.After removing husks I put 5 gal at a time in an old cement mixer,plus 5 gals water and let them run for about an hr.Does a great job of knocking everything loose,rinse and let dry..I made a cracker out of old mower trans gears. Great in any cookie mix..

Latest posts

Back