• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Gardens 2023

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You guys growing cucumbers (and gourds or pumpkins) what are you doing to protect them from cucumber beetles? I've lost several plants to beetles this year. In the past, I'd lose maybe one or two. This is out of probably 25 hills or so.

My garden is really struggling with the dry spell we've had. Carrots are all but lost. I think I've picked 12 cukes this year. Usually I'd have 5 gallon buckets full. I've had only a handful of any peppers.
Potatoes are starting to fade out so they'll be ready to dig soon.
I dug up my garlic 2 weeks ago (it was the variety recommended here on the board) and it did well. It seems to have outproduced my Burpee variety that I grew last year.
Over the years I've tried different insecticides ( which I've 100% gotten away from) and even wrapped the stems in foil...all for nothing,the beetles always found their way. This year I have the best pumpkin,watermelon,cucumber and zucchini plants and yield I've ever had,even my peppers! The only thing I did different was move the whole garden about 100 ft away from where it was. I'm not saying that's what did it but just letting you know that's what I did.

These posts seem to be about veggies, can't help with deer and veggies.
We have a growing deer population and they are getting desperate; they eat plants wouldn't touch couple years ago. Their favorite is hosta of which we have 45 plants. For years we've used Bobbex (not for veggies) which gets in the leaves. I'll find a damaged leaf with the chewed-off part spit out. They get used to many repellants, not Bobbex.
Cheers, Jack
Have you tried clothes detergent in a pump sprayer? Dilute the smelly detergent (I use Tide) with water and spray the leaves. That helps my Daylillies. Which were left alone for many years. They seem to like young Daylillies, when they get taller, I'm deer free.

You guys growing cucumbers (and gourds or pumpkins) what are you doing to protect them from cucumber beetles? I've lost several plants to beetles this year. In the past, I'd lose maybe one or two. This is out of probably 25 hills or so.

My garden is really struggling with the dry spell we've had. Carrots are all but lost. I think I've picked 12 cukes this year. Usually I'd have 5 gallon buckets full. I've had only a handful of any peppers.
Potatoes are starting to fade out so they'll be ready to dig soon.
I dug up my garlic 2 weeks ago (it was the variety recommended here on the board) and it did well. It seems to have outproduced my Burpee variety that I grew last year.
We plant marigolds around our cucumbers and tomatoes. The variety of cucumbers we grow are called “Muncher”. We bought the seeds from Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds. www.rareseeds.com

Have you tried clothes detergent in a pump sprayer? Dilute the smelly detergent (I use Tide) with water and spray the leaves. That helps my Daylillies. Which were left alone for many years. They seem to like young Daylillies, when they get taller, I'm deer free.
I've heard about using detergent cloths under a Cub's hood to keep out mice but not as a deer repellant. Does Tide absorb into plant leaves the way Bobbex does? Using it successfully for more than 10 straight years. As I write this, three deer passed by without stopping. At Amazon, it's $28-$30 per gallon. Costly? Not all garden stores stock it.
Cheers, Jack

I've heard about using detergent cloths under a Cub's hood to keep out mice but not as a deer repellant. Does Tide absorb into plant leaves the way Bobbex does? Using it successfully for more than 10 straight years. As I write this, three deer passed by without stopping. At Amazon, it's $28-$30 per gallon. Costly? Not all garden stores stock it.
Cheers, Jack
I doubt it absorbs in. I reapply once a week. When the plants are young. I also think the Chives that are grown around the perimeter help.

Carolyn picked a melon last week while I was gone.
10 pounds nd 9" diameter!
And it melts in your mouth!

1691508420466.jpeg

Hey, I noticed this around my tomato plants last night. What is this? Rabbit droppings? It is only around the tomato plants.
IMG_9134.JPG

IMG_9135.JPG

Img_9135-close up.jpg

Last edited:
Gave up on a garden this year. Deer are eating everything in sight, even though there seems to be more greenery in the woods this year. May have to try some of your suggestions next year.
For the first time in 26 years, they have eaten all the hostas around my house. Go figure.

All doe's and little spotted ones. Don't have the heart to pop one of them. The wife has been out of work due to back surgery. She says she loves watching them play in the yard.

Latest posts

Back