• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Firewood

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You guys can leave Kraig's pile alone for now. Come on up, at the rate I'm burning wood, this pile should last me for 2 more years, so I've got plenty to spare.
Tamarack on the left, oak on the right.
293264.jpg

Heck one of my neighbors came yesterday and picked up 4 cord, cause he ran out and no one will deliver in this weather, LOL

So far since yesterday afternoon till right now I bet I have burnt @ least 3/4 of a pick up in our furnace. This house really need re insulated in the walls. But its like everything else when you have the time you don't have the money or the other way around. One day I hope.

I bet this winter I will have some wood left from the 3 cords I had put in the basement . cords are 4' x 8' x 8' here and I have 5 cords of dry hard wood across the road from my house for next winter . I will start to get it ready in April for next winter. Heck I think we will see plus 10 and rain Friday so that helps with no wood use.

Jim. H.
How much heat did you get out of the metal parts of that truck you burnt in your furnace ?

Maybe that's why I am not getting it all that warm. Thanks for the laugh.

This past Saturday I finished up moving the 12 cords of logs that I had delivered. What a pain... I bought a set of loader forks and borrowed a set of log tongs from my neighbor. Took much longer to do than I figured it would. I used the tongs and a heavy chain that I have to yank most of them out of the ditch and then shortened up the chain and used the tongs to hoist them up onto the pile. Once I could get the tractor down into the ditch I could use the forks to haul them. The really big logs I only used the chain and tongs on as I didn't trust the forks for that much weight. Plus with the forks it moves that weight farther out in front. Can get kind of unsettling moving over rough terrain with that much weight on the loader, even with it lowered down so it barely clears the ground.
icon_eek.gif

294059.jpg

294060.jpg

294061.jpg

294062.jpg

294063.jpg

294064.jpg

Now I have a short logging road on my property.
happy.gif

Good to hear you got them before they got dumped on like is happening out east!
beerchug.gif

Jerry, yes! We are getting some snow today but so far only about 1/4", at least in St. Paul, MN where I'm at today. They threatened somewhere between 1" to 5" depending on what station you listened to. Weather Guessers... nothing but a bunch of
joker.gif

Kraig-
Great thread. I'm with Lonnie, that whole story really "bites" having the driver dump the whole load in the ditch like that. Nice forks though! I'd offer to borrow those from you sometime, but I'd bet the back wheels of our loader-tractor would come off the ground with those forks bolted to the bucket.
roflol.gif

Did you at least have some "tunes" on in that nice green cab while you were "working"?
bannana_guitar.gif

Charlie-
How well (or not-well) does Tamarack burn? Does it put out much heat?

BTW... For those who haven't looked in awhile, you need to click on Kraig's profile. Hilarious!

Art, no tunes, but I did have the AC turned on one of the days I was working because it was getting too warm in there.
happy.gif
BTW, KENtuckyKEN did that animated gif for me that's in my profile.

One other thing I had to do before I could get the tractor down into the ditch to haul the logs out with the forks was to pull out a steel fence post. I put two of them in the ditch a few years back to prevent the township from driving up and over my driveway when they mow the ditch. They use a really big JD tractor with rear and a wing mounted brush mower. One year when they drove over my driveway the tires crushed down the shoulder and basically destroyed the edges of my driveway.
angry.gif
The fence posts force them to go around the driveway. Anyway I figured it'd be easy pickings for the loader to yank it out of the ground with a chain. Nogo, the frost had a hold so tight on it that it actually lifted the rear tires of the tractor off of the ground!
icon_eek.gif
icon_eek.gif
icon_eek.gif
It's not a light tractor, plus it has a heavy duty 6' box scraper on the back! I ended up snapping it off at the ground by backing the box scraper over it.
happy.gif

294091.jpg

maybe it will grow back into a better fence post lol

Jeff,
rofl.gif
I will need to find and dig out the bottom section of it come spring and then put a new one in it's place. Would be nice if it could sprout a new post though.

just loaded mine up with black walnut and hackberry. brrrrr

294517.jpg

headed to harbor freight to pick up a predator engine to repower the log splitter

Not me, I cut in half and stuff'um in the beast to eat! LOL
28 cords of oak and 12 cords of tamarack, ready and willing to die to keep me warm for the next 2 years!
299130.jpg

This guy has the green sickness bad. At least he used good components (why I posted the video). Notice the gas tank, the Kohler engine from a cub, and even the wheel weights on that green thing trying to look like a tractor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dv5U8Q1AT0A

Apparently a cub WAS harmed during the making of this project.

Latest posts

Back