• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Firewood

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fcurrier

displayname
Frank A. Currier(Northern Maine)
Bummer! Jeremiah got bitten by the archive bug and I want to see his woodsplitter!
1a_violin.gif
happy.gif

Any one looking to buy new splitter? Might want to check out DR's new RapidFire splitter that uses a flywheel & rack & pinion gear with 6hp engine...Looks like a neat idea.
1AA_dance2.gif

Rack & Pinion machine looks interesting.

One more time, for Frank's sake,

All: Well, I finally had my camera ready when my "Son with the Guns" arrived to finish off the wood pile. It seems my whole crew has deserted me, and I was tired myself of cutting and splitting wood. Even the "Son with Guns" who had been responsible for splitting most of the wood we had been able to put up so far had tired of the task.

I decided it was time to sink some money into a decent log splitter. The man you see at the controls is my son (the one with a collection of guns) who performed the lion's share of the work, both with and without the use of the log splitter.

234858.jpg

234859.jpg

234860.jpg

234861.jpg

Technology is a good thing!

234862.jpg

animatedihbear.gif

I have pulled home 5 very heavy pickup truck loads of this home last week, I an not sure what type of tree it is but it is very heavy to lift, any ideas on what it is?

234965.jpg

234966.jpg

234967.jpg

234968.jpg

Jeff, if Kraig is korrect, you can compare the wood you have harvested to what I've been working with both on this thread and on the "What's killing my Cub Time" thread --I know that what I have is white oak, and it is very HEAVY!

It is also fairly difficult to split. The tree I cleared was full of smaller branches that had broken off, and over which the tree had grown. Often, there was no clue, on the outside, what was waiting on the inside.

I probably would not have bought the wood splitter were it not for the white oak: that stuff was/is brutal! With all the "cross beams" it gave the 27 ton ram all the work it could do.

The directions for the splitter recommend turning the wood around when an obstacle is encountered and working the log from the opposite end; but it was so much fun to just "chug on through" with the hydraulic ram. After thinking it over though, I'll probably back off a bit in the future.

Good luck with your haul; it looks like you're going to need it. The only thing that powers me through all wood cutting and splitting is the knowledge that oak --and only oak-- burns clean and long and hot --it is the best fire wood there is, in my honest opinion.
smile.gif

Jeremiah C.
Very few species of wood are hard to split when it well below ZERO.
Of course you southern guys don't know about that do ya!
biggrin.gif

Here is what I deal with either every year or 2 years as all I burn is wood only, and my Dad gets a load every other year also so we here keep busy.

PHOTO 1

Charlie, I think we need to start calling you "Topper." Is there anything you don't have bigger, better, or more of than the rest of us?

Just saying ...
jawdrop.gif

Jeremiah C.
When ya live up here in the frozen BOONIES, where you have snow on the freakin ground till June!
LOT'S of STUFF is a necessity!
bash.gif

Cause you never know if you can get more if you need it quick.

Charlie "Digger" Proctor

What you got there looks like two truck loads for a tractor trailer , Two piles 12 cords each ? Dang that IS a pile a wood to burn. I burn about 3 cords here each year. I`am some glade I don`t burn that much.
yikes.gif

Don T.
That one 10 cord load on the right and about 8 on the back.
We burnt about 12 cord last year and even with the warm weather, we're gonna probably do about 15 or 16 this year.
But we're heating 3 times the space this year than last.

I have plenty of firewood as well but I can't best the stash that Charlie has. Here's what my firewood piles looked like last August. BTW, we had so much rain last summer that the wood vine grew over the pile of 8' logs. I've lived here for 20 years and I've never had the wood vine grow over the wood pile to this extent. Kind of bizarre...

235078.jpg

235079.jpg

Latest posts

Back