• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Firewood

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Once and a while pellet stoves are mentioned here. I have seen the fuel and was wondering how it is made. Here is a quick clip on how one homeowner makes his own ! Neat! Wander around the site and see how other products are formed. Just something for a slow nite. A.

Tom,
I had seen that video before with the skid steer and fire wood processor. AMAZING!!! I could hand sitting in that cab all day listening to the radio doing that. SWEET job! Then in spring and fall have the door off the cab and work away. DREAM JOB!!!

Look's like cherry or something like it that he's splitting....DAMN expensive fire wood up here in Canada!! Not too many cherry trees around here, let alone ones that size!

Really cool video though. Enjoy watching it over and over!

Found another video while watching this firewood processor....kinda related. Can use it for those long days out in the bush. Neat idea. ??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfRovJ1KcCg&feature=fvwp&NR=1

It was 63 degrees here today and most of the snow is gone so I decided I should get a start on cutting the firewood for next year. After I cut a bunch I decide to get out an axe and split some.
happy.gif
happy.gif

236375.jpg

Mike, thanks. Sadly, after 38+ years of playing, I don't play very well at all.
facepalm.gif

236416.jpg

Kraig, I'm a gibson kinda guy myself. And like you, I still sound like a newb at times... sigh.

I just don't / didn't practice like I should. But I still find it enjoyable and overdriven speakers are a great equalizer!
err.gif

Four friends and I worked on clearing a farmers tree line the last two saturdays, we still have more to do but heres our piles so far..

there are four piles in all, the trees are black walnut,hackberry,cherry,osage orange, and of course there had to be some boxelder (but not much)

236426.jpg

236427.jpg

236428.jpg

Nice piles of wood Jeff. The four of you split it up among each other and then keep on cutting else where to stock pile yourself for next winter? A buddy of mine use to cut with me at fence lines, did it for 2 or 3 years and had a lot of fun. Then his wife popped a kid out and well, haven't really seen much of him since...heard he has two kids now! I guess having a young family does that to your spare time? Too bad, he knew how to cut wood as well, we could make quick work of most fence lines on weekends.

Jeff, nice piles of wood.
thumbsup.gif

Mike F., I don't play well enough to justify a Gibson Les Paul, so I have to settle for a couple of Epiphones (I didn't post a photo of the cheaper Epiphone Les Paul that I have) and a Japanese made copy that I bought new back in 1976. I took these photos to post at a guitar forum I frequent.
236437.gif
I agree with this:

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>quote:</font>

I just don't / didn't practice like I should. But I still find it enjoyable and overdriven speakers are a great equalizer!<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>

bannana_guitar.gif
236438.gif

Wow, I bet Kraig would like to use that for a day. Hand splitting is fine, I guess, but running that thing would be really neat.

I've got some swamp oak I'd love to put through that! It's that kinda wood that just loves to eat splitting wedges and mauls.. You know the stuff that just causes you to lose all your patience and makes you curse! LOL..

Kraig, my first guitars were epi's. Only got an SG and Washburn acoustic/electric now.

I'd love to have a setup like that for cutting and splitting wood. But then I'd have to get a membership in a fitness club. Using my chainsaw, hydraulic splitter and a little splitting with a maul keeps me in shape, well, it helps a bit. I hate to think how out of shape I'd be if I didn't heat with wood.

Mike F., someday I'd like to get an SG. I also want to build a kit Les Paul. I have a really nice piece of figured maple that I'd like to use for a guitar and I know of one place that will build a kit out of it. They don't mention it on their website but the owner has posted on the forum I frequent that he has accepted maple from customers to build their kits.

Fitness Club? HAH.. My father used to say the wood could heat you 3 times. Once when you cut it, another when you split it, and lastly when your burnin' it!

Cool website! I had only seen Warmouth before. My "next" one will be a Telecaster. :cool:

Mike, I've heard that many times before about wood heating you 3 times. I think it heats you at least 5 times perhaps 6 or 7 times depending on how and where you harvest your wood. First when you cut it, second when you split it, third when you stack it, fourth when you haul it in and a fifth time when you actually burn it. If you do like Jeff, you have to load it up and haul it home then unload it adding the 6th and 7th.

Kraig, I believe your correct about several times. This is a normal for me.
1. drop tree
2. limb tree
3. buck down to a movable sizes from field
4. load
5. unload
6. cut to splitable lengths
7. split
8. stack
9. load into boiler

Not all steps are required everytime and there is mechaniclized help at times

But in general thats how it goes

this can save me up to 3000.00 dollars a year in propane.
I just spoke with my propane provider and it was 2.11 a gallon of the truck.

I think the "Heat 3 Times" was just a generalization... :cool:

We would drop the tree, limb it, the drag it back to the pile by the house. I would love it in the dead of winter, frozen maple was a favorite! We used a screw splitter and I could split the maple in 8 foot lengths! So I'd quarter it then toss it on the pile for cutting to stove length. We used 2 different size stoves, both Jotuls..

And I don't see anybody mentioning cleanup or chimney work to their lists! HAH :cool:

Mike F., my chimney setup is so easy to clean it doesn't warm me up. Several years back when I replaced the chimney and wood furnace I made sure to improve the clean out setup. I Made it really easy when a couple years later I resided my house. I built a new enclosure around the bottom of the chimney that opens easily. The bottom of the chimney itself is removed with a simple quarter turn. I also store the chimney brushes and extension rods inside the chimney chase. When I bought the house the clean out had a panel under the bottom of the chimney that I had to remove. Then I had to lay on my back and remove 3 screws that held the bottom of the chimney on, then while on my back I would run the brush up and down the chimney. Alternately I could get out a ladder and clean it from the roof top. Now I can do it all when staying mostly upright. I do have to kneel down or squat but that's easy!

236466.jpg

Latest posts

Back