• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Earthway Garden Planter

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kortman

displayname
Kent Ortman
Hi All. I have asked this over on the "green" board, but thought I'd ask here too. I am curious to know of any of you have one of these Earthway garden planters and how well you like them. My dad has had one since the mid 70's and likes it. They are still made, http://www.earthway.com/1001b.htm I did some disking with my 140 & DD-1000 disk last night and got one in trade, and I have another one coming that I am trading some tractor parts for that has the optional fertilizer attachment with it. I'd love to have a Brinly one of these days for the back of one of my tractors, but for now these will have to do.

Kent

I don't know anything about them. My parents had something that looked like that when I was little for the garden.

Cool link though!

I have one "made in the 70's" If a guy could get a hold of the plates. You could make one heavy enough to hook to the back of a cub. That is what I plan on doing.

hmmm, I had a Brinly planter for a while, didn't use it but got $600 for it on Ebay . . . . . I've been planting by hand ever since
happy.gif

Hi Guy's. Thanks for the input. It got put to use today planting some radish and sweet corn. The radish worked very well, but the sweet corn occasionally wanted to either skip or try and drop two seeds at once (I guess they just don't grade sweet corn by size very close). It sure beat doing it seed by seed by hand though
happy.gif

Jonathan- I looked into buying plates, they do still sell them. It is roughly $15 for the either the standard set of 6 plates or the set of 5 optional plates.

Wyatt- I too would like to get a Brinly, but I think it would take longer to get it set up to plant than it would actually take to plant (I only do two or three rows of sweet corn a year that average only 10' to 15' long).

Kent

Kent.
2 to 3 rows, 10 to 15 foot long!!
That aint no sweetcorn plot, you gots to plant your plots likes I do's.
1st plot is 200ft long by 50ft wide, 2nd plot is 100ft X 25ft.
This year I am thinking on makeing another plot 100ft X 100ft.
Gots me 4lbs of seed to plant.

We have the ultimate sweet corn planter......

IH 800 Early Riser, 6 row 30".......dump in as much seed as you want and plant till your heart's content.......

happy.gif
happy.gif
happy.gif
happy.gif

we will plant 27 acre of sweet corn by the end of planting season.

1973 JD 7000 6 row planter liquid fert.

Ken--
I have one and my wife really likes it for planting beans, and peas. We don't think that it gets the seeds close enough so we go over the row twice. We also use raised beds for our beans. Two rows per bed and wait for a few weeks til your back hurts from picking!!! Plant enough to can at least 120 qt. of green beans every year. We bought our seeder about 3 years ago.

Enjoy,
Seth

I have used one for about 3 years now - works great. I do not have the fertilizer attachment so what I do is spread the fertilizer by hand to mark out my rows, then run the Earthway right down the row over the fertilizer. Seems to work pretty good. After corn is up I usually go back and side dress with another application of 10-10-10. Sometimes it is hard to find a seed plate with just the right size for the seeds but I've just got the standard seed plates and I have used it for nearly all my vegetable garden.

Latest posts

Back