• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Dragged nother 1 in.

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm still using Craftsman tools my brother gave me for my 16th birth day 63 years ago!
I've been outdone. My first set of Craftsman tools are only 40 years old. Although I do have a Fluke multimeter that over 35 years old and still going strong.

I've got an S-K set I got used, 30 years ago. Got tired of dad always having his tools away from home. Would have got more, but the lifetime warranty isn't much good if I have to take a day off work and drive an hour and a half to get replacement tools because they are only open 9-5 weekdays. Good thing I've only broken two in my life. Rest of my tools I've tried to get MAC, couple of SNAP-ON where they have some specific tools with unique features, some Mastercraft Professional. Still, I haven't thrown out the "forge-dropped-in-India" wrench set I was gifted in my early teens 45 years ago, sentiment and used where I might not want to use the good tools.

I have mostly craftsmans but where i live sears went out of bussnes and Lowes took over. If something breaks or wares out they treat you like a criminal. They dont have half the the tools sears had and they give you a hard time getting them replaced. I also have garden tools and when i bought them from sears they had a lifetime garenty but Lowes wont replace them.

Craftsman hand tools up to about 2000 were good forged in the USA steel. After that, quality was crap. I have a mix of old Craftsman and Snap On. The Snap On tools rarely ever disappoint. other than initial buy in price and finding the Snap On truck if you have a broken tool.

It's a sad story of no foresight, mismanagement and debt. It's easy in hindsight to see they were way too late to adopt an online store site and keep with the times.

Personally, I think they should have let go of everything but the Craftsman tool line, the Kenmore appliance division and their power tools lines (including yard care equipment.) and maybe their automotive division.
I feel these areas were their strong points. Many people saw these departments and their products to be of quality and of good value, I know I did, until they were in trouble about 15 years before their demise. That's when all the outsourcing began and the quality started to diminish. So sad. I'll miss them.

Craftsman hand tools up to about 2000 were good forged in the USA steel. After that, quality was crap. I have a mix of old Craftsman and Snap On. The Snap On tools rarely ever disappoint. other than initial buy in price and finding the Snap On truck if you have a broken tool.
I'm not 100% sure, but I think Craftsman tools were made by a variety of manufacturers over the years, including New Britain, Moore Drop Forging, Stanley and Easco Hand Tools.

🤔, I see the snap-on truck every Thursday, even if I don't want to! All he does is empty my wallet for me! But I got a free koozie this week!

Dragged this in today to try and fix the busted coil mount.. Thanks to 1811Cub for giving me the new coil mount (last summer ) and the p.o. for ginsuing the shroud to allow (maybe) installation of coil to see if it's gonna run.

Attachments

• 20231212_173152.jpg
    6.2 MB · Views: 0
I cannot get the bottom coil Bolt to spin with one fingers. I'm pulling the engine. if I get the starter. Hooked up to turn over the engine on the bench and supply power to the coil. Is that sufficient for it to run along with fuel?

That is a magneto...if you put 12V to it you will fry it if it's one of the earlier ones that doesn't have diodes to protect it. Need a way to ground the kill terminal to shut the engine off.

Latest posts

Back