• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Cadet 85

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chip price

I’m new to this forum and I maybe in the wrong place but I have a 1977 international cadet 85 that I want to restore but need help with the disassembly of the body. If any one can help me it would be appreciated. I have the owners manual but it’s not much help. If I can get the body off I should be able to go forward. Thanks in advance

The manual is correct but sometimes easier said than done. I have found that removing the steering wheel is usually the hardest thing. Similar to regular cub cadet tractors. Search the forum for advice. Time and good penetrant like pb blaster is your friend. You have to remove the tower bolts around the steering shaft and loosen the steering shaft itself. Finally remove the brake pedal entirely. They are simple fun little machines but hard to get the body on and off all the linkages. Hard to not scratch a newly restored body…

The manual is correct but sometimes easier said than done. I have found that removing the steering wheel is usually the hardest thing. Similar to regular cub cadet tractors. Search the forum for advice. Time and good penetrant like pb blaster is your friend. You have to remove the tower bolts around the steering shaft and loosen the steering shaft itself. Finally remove the brake pedal entirely. They are simple fun little machines but hard to get the body on and off all the linkages. Hard to not scratch a newly restored body…
I was waiting on the BTKoSK to give his expertise! I'm glad you did, because I doubt many of us have the knowledge of these units like you do!

I got the body off and it was not easy. Whoever sent the manual big thanks. What’s the best way to clean the body. I have what looks like rust stains everywhere. Power washed as much as I could. This is going to be a frame off and complete engine rebuild. Thought I saw someone selling decals ? I can’t get the steering shaft off even after knocking out the roll pin. Probably rusted on.

Maple Hunter and others sell decals. The rust stains likely won’t come out - most likely in the bottom of the “bathtub” and the gel coat of the fiberglass body is gone. You can prime and prep and repaint as I have done many times. Fiberglass preps a little differently than steel. Mat is better than cloth for repair. You might search the forum for some of my rebuilds. I rebuilt a 60 and 95 and use a 85 special often. Currently rebuilding a 75 for my son.

I got the body off and it was not easy. Whoever sent the manual big thanks. What’s the best way to clean the body. I have what looks like rust stains everywhere. Power washed as much as I could. This is going to be a frame off and complete engine rebuild. Thought I saw someone selling decals ? I can’t get the steering shaft off even after knocking out the roll pin. Probably rusted on.
I have an extra set of decals now that I think about it. Let me know if you are interested. I will sell them less then new price.

Latest posts

Back