• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Bulldozers...

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tturner

displayname
Tyler Turner
Anybody else have a dozer to play with? Theyre alot of fun too!
250336.jpg

Can't make that out is that a Clet-trac ? Send me dome pix.
THIS is one of the best videos of a <u>REAL DOZER</u> at work. Notice how the Operator is always looking aroung. This isn't a game running the machines. BTDT!!
Watch and enjoy!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0HaK9IxEDA

Tom- Its just an old IH T 340. I put a new U/C on it and its amazing what a little 8000 pounder can do. Its def not a D10 though. lol

TOM - Another great video of dozers at work was over on the RPM forum about two years ago. Somebody converted about 15-20 minutes of old 1950's vintage IH promotional films into U-tube videos. They had video of TD-24's breaking trails through jungle/forest building roads. 3 ft diameter trees were no match for a TD-24!

I wonder what that T-340 sold for "back in the day". It's a good looking little crawler.

I guess Rules are made to be broken.
<font color="0000ff">please no links to online selling sites for ongoing auctions (Ebay, businesses, etc.)</font>

Been looking. What is cheaper - to buy one or to rent?

go ahead hit the
poof.gif
button Charlie, youve been too soft lately
err.gif

BILL J. - You REALLY need to get your hands on C.H.Wendell's book "150 yrs of International Harvester". Shows all the different types of equipment they made from back in 1904 till 1985, Horse drawn to tractor drawn. As well as dozers, IH made big off-road mining trucks, excavators, articulated end loaders, self-powered dirt scrapers. They never made road graders for some reason... but Galion and a couple other brands used either just IH engines or FARMALL tractors as the power for graders.

And the book just skips on the high spots of IH trucks, they made everything from little milk or bread delivery trucks (First UPS package car I drove was a 1950's vintage IH back in 1978, had something over 2 million miles on it) and all the variations of Scouts, light duty 1/2, 3/4, & 1-ton trucks and everyhing bigger. IH was about the only company that made 4-door light & medium duty trucks back in the 50's & 60's.

Dennis F - thanks for the tip on the CH Wendell book, might be a good suggestion to my better half for a birthday present.

It's interesting how branched out IH was on their equipment. Growing up in my neck of the woods, I don't recall hardly any IH tractors or Cub Cadets for that matter. Lots of Ford and MF tractors around and really the dominate garden tractor was a Sears Suburban. We had a Ford 3000 and a Sears Suburban SS 14. The 3000 was a great tractor as was the Sears - but we thought of the Sears as junk like we would an MTD lawn tractor today. I guess everything is relative as in hind sight, the Sears was a quality/tough machine compared to new tractors today.

What we did see of IH was all kinds of big trucks, school busses and Scouts - just not tractors, and I've never seen an IH bull dozer.

BILL - IH Marketing way back in the mid-1940's targeted CAT as the construction equip. company to beat... Look at the spec's on the TD-24, http://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractors/003/3/2/3322-international-harvester-td-24.html

1090 CID in-line 6 cyl "start oon gas/run on diesel" engine, up to 168 drawbar HP and over 41,000# of drawbar pull or push. And IH was working on even bigger crawlers, TD-25 & TD-30 when they decided they better let CAT have the dozer market. IH's big problem was that in twelve years they only built 7500 TD-24's... and in most MONTHS... They built that many ag tractors at FARMALL. IH needed VOLUME production to make money.

As Tom H. would probably agree, IH dozers had "Issues", but back in their day they were a decent machine. There's some video's on U-tube of IH dozers clearing right-of-way for a highway thru jungle in South America, TD-24's driving into and over trees 3-4 feet in diameter. They didn't even hesitate, just drove into them and down they went. Then they pushed them into a pile and burned them.

Until the 1960's, the largest ag tractors used the same size engines as the T/TD-9's, but IH also made TD14's, TD-18's, and then the 24's. If IH had spent that R&D money used on the crawlers on bigger ag tractors with more features sooner like more trsansmission speeds like the crawlers had, and a more durable power-shift like the crawlers had instead of the Torque-Amplifier used in the ag tractors, IH would probably still be around.

When IH decided to throw themselves into a market and gave the project enough engineering talent, they typically came out with a good machine, if not a revolutionary machine. Back in the late 1950's and early i960's several of our neighbor's had new IH pickups, and all the trucking co's had at least a few IH trucks if not mostly or ALL IH trucks. If I'd started hauling ready-mix at the ripe old age of eleven instead of 21, back in 1965, I'd have driven an IH gas-engine powered mixer truck. The IH's were all replaced with White's in 1966, several of which I was still driving in 1975.

If you watched ANY of the episodes of Ice Road Truckers this past season, they had an episode with "King of Obsolete" skidding across frozen lakes with dozers and sleds... most of his crawlers are IH. K-o-O used to post frequently years ago on the RPM forum construction equipment pages.

Listening to the misic "werble" reminds me high school where I did my best sleeping.

BTW, Note the Bucyru Erie dozer blades (YES! I said blade) on those IH TD's.

TOM - Yes, it's easy to spot those B-E blades isn't it!?! The lift cylinders back by the operator instead of mounted up on the sides of the grills. But the hyd. lift beat the old cable lifts by a LONG ways.

Hard to imagine those TD-24's getting pitched around over those downed trees & stumps like that. They're a 40,000# tractor!

You would be surprised what kind of hell stumps can put you though regardless of how much that machine weighs. They can be a real b---h.

Did anyone watch part 2? I spotted this interesting <FONT COLOR="ff0000">I</FONT><FONT COLOR="000000">H</FONT> truck in it.

263840.jpg

263841.jpg

Latest posts

Back