Building a Better PC

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The iPad 2 review
I was thinking about getting an iPad to so that I could keep up on things while out on the lake. After seeing this review I can see how one would be handy to have around the homestead.

Well with one of these I could get from signal to signal without any dropped messages.
Signal Chaser

Man we aint got crap for phone signal on the lake. Sitting in the wide open you can get full "bars" and drift 3 feet and it's dead !

Well, after a week of screwing around with the knockdown fasteners (the tool does not properly locate the hole for the cam; I had to determine it by trial and error) and 2.5 hours of careful measuring and drilling, I now have this:

230206.jpg

Silly me for thinking I'd be done with the whole thing and be staining it this weekend. I'll be lucky to finish fabrication by the beginning of October at this rate...

Matt, that is sometimes the problem with working with new concepts. Things out of a factory are setup on precision jigs and fit fine. So now you know how 'cam lock' fittings work...thankyou...guess I'll use screws on a future project.
whistling.gif

The location was off by ~3/32". I'm thinking I might have different bolts than what was intended.

I'd be using screws, too, if only the heads were invisible...

Ken, Just fyi my wife has an Ipad but it is hard to read outside in the sunlight. Maybe the new ones are different but she is not happy with that issue with them. Thought I would give you her input/complaint about them. she loves it other than that. Tim P.

Matt RE: seeing screws. There are wooden plugs on the market that can be used to cover slightly recessed holes. They don't look too bad. This for future reference since you bought the new fittings already.

Allen-

Yeah, I know, a friend suggested that. The problem is, I have to be able to disassemble this almost completely so I can carry it up the stairs to my 2nd floor apartment by myself. If I used screws and plugs, I'd be unable to take it apart after staining it.

Kentucky, thier British, I'm sure an american would be up front and honest with any... oh crap, never mind.

Kentuck, I have the iPad 1 and it is pretty neat I'm posting from it right now. I bought the 1 the day before the 2 came out and saved $200 the main differences are the processor is dual core camera and it is thinner.

Desk update:

I basically just have to mate the upper shelf assembly with the desk top, and then that with the lower part, and put in the braces and shear panels, and the construction phase is done. Then I can spend a week sanding and staining. Sorry about the lack of pics, it's 100 degrees again and I didn't feel like going back out there.
happy.gif

Matt - I suggest Minwax stain and topcoat. I use to use it by the gallon when I worked one winter at a cabinet shop and I've always used it at home.

How you going to top coat it without a sprayer ?

Ken-

A friend of mine suggested the same thing; he's had good luck applying polyurethane over the stain with a high-quality brush, so that's what I'll do, as well.

Matt - With those high temps it may not flow out like you want it to , it might tack up to quick. It may leave brush strokes showing. You better try some scrap wood before you fly into it.

If you had a sprayer and used Lacquer Sealer then Lacquer topcoat you could be using it in a couple of hours BUT you'd never get it covered with a brush before it dried , a cheap spray gun is a no-go too when it comes to lacquer as it'll dry at/on the nozzle hence my reason for buying a Binks #7. BTDT !

Good luck on the finish with high temps and lack of proper equipment !!!

Ken-

The heat is just for today and tomorrow. Thursday's high is 63 (!) and then it's lower 80's for the foreseeable future. I think it'll be alright, and I definitely plan on practicing on scraps.

Can someone please explain what that means, in laymans terms, okay, in terms I can understand.

Latest posts

Back