Archive through September 30, 2009

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

jott

Ryan W, I was taking the numbers by flashlight. It couold have jusat looked like a 0. I will look after work and get back to you. I see the 123 just had a birthday. Thanks! Don't forget to post the sreadsheet when you are done
thumbsup.gif

I know we bought a replacement K321A for Dad's 149 (in the early 80's) and it does not have balance gears, and never has. The second 149 that he picked up a couple of years ago I think has balance gears, It is apart right now (the one with the broken rod). I have a K321AQS that was replaced before I bought the tractor (The tins are actually a dark grey color with 2 stickers that tell the "new" information about the engine) and it does not have balance gears. This was confirmed when we had to replace the oil pan due to bad iso mounts, missing engine mounting bolts and about a quarter inch of material worn off the left side of the pan. (again PO did not service the mounts, the exhaust box was touching the left side panel it was laying over that far.) I have no idea when and why the orignal engine was replaced, it may have had balance gears. I do know that Dad said the balance gears are coming out of the engine when it gets put back together.

It would probably be a Cub Cadet Corporation TSB since the QL were still in production almost right to the end of the OPG at divesture.

Okay so this is the mule drive I had gotten with the 123. I know it had a different set up than this and was wondering if the correct mule drive stuck out further in the front than this one does?
170032.jpg

It doesnt seem to look right on there and was wondering if that would effect the pto to deck belt size any or if I should just "wing" it with a shorter belt.

Scott Stanton,
Mule drive looks proper.

timothy teague,
Balance gear pins???? Replaced?????

Dave, so should I get or fab the right mule drive? I know the one on it is a QT but would it still work? I'll have to mess around with belt sizes if I keep it on there.....I think.

Just checking in before I go to bed. About Balance Gears. Two gentlemen that work on small engines. One is in his forties and the other in his mid 70s. Both are familiar with Balance Gears and both state this. It is the needle bearings that need to be replaced from time to time to keep the Balance Gears healthy. It is these bearings that wear and cause the failure. Both have replaced the needle bearings in engines and say the rest of the engine is still running healthy many years later. The 40 something gentleman has over twenty years experience and the mid 70s gentleman close to 60 years experience. Just what they taught me about those elusive little critters.

Dennis F. I've been trying to catch up on reading and the part when you said that you never farmed with steel wheels made me remember this. They were fun in the field and actually could go in muddy spots where a rubber tired tractor would bog down. They were rough bears on hard and frozen ground.

Scott S. Your Cub needs the quick tach mule drive one bolt part on it. It'll save that extra bolt.

I honestly don't know the answer to that question from personal expirience. I know that a qa 42 snow blower has the holes in it to bolt to a non QA narrow frame and everything lines up fine. If I were you I'd try it. When you get the belt on there look at the leading edge (looking at the front of the tractor right side) from the bottom up the tightener pulley on the sub frame should be real close to lined up to the PTO clutch pulley. Those mounting holes are there for a reason.

Does any one here have an <font color="ff0000">I</font><font color="000000">H rear scraper blade or possible rear snow blade. I was talking to someone that has one for sale. But i personally havent seen it yet. I was just curious if there is such a critter. Thanks Tom</font>

Possible Kendall I havent seen it yet. He called it a rear snow plow. The seller says he wants to do some research on the value of it before i come and look at it. Are they a common attachment or harder to find. I can't seem to find any info.

I couldn't tell you how common they are, but I'm sure less were sold than mower decks, front blades or snow throwers. Keep in mind you can buy a brand new 42" sleeve hitch box scraper at TSC stores for $206.00... (also remember you'll need the Cub 3 point hitch and sleeve hitch adapter for hooking a back blade up..)

Everything seemed to line up before the belt kicked the bucket. The belt that went was very old and in bad shape so I wasnt too surprised it went. I got a new belt yesterday and using Charlies faq's, got the right one, which was too long. I think because the deck is a newer than the 123, came off of a 126(I think), I may have to use a shorter belt. 3/8X81 is the right size according to the charts and the cub dealers computer, but I think a 3/8X79 or 78 would be what I need. I know they have that size for different deck's and models. Going to stop at another dealer on my way home friday thats kinda on my way in a round about way, and pick one up. I will post the results then to let you all know what happens.

On another note, when I shut down the 123 it leaks gas like crazy out the carb. The bowl gasket is good. Is it possible that the float is set way wrong and if it is, does it do that? It was a steady stream, not a dripping kind of leak. It runs just fine otherwise. Thanks ahead!

Marlin, Are you talking about those frankenstien looking bolts? Can you show me a pic of what your talking about if thats not it? Thanks a ton!

Tom "G",
Here you go. One is the rear blade and the other is the rear rake.
170052.jpg

Scott S.,
I believe you're correct in what Marlin said you're lacking.... since from your picture (@ 4:17pm) the Frankenstein bolts seem to be missing from where the drive fork fits into. But I'd say you should still try to run it like that.... why not try.

Ryan Wilke

Kendall I have the factory CC 3-pt hitch on the rear of my 104 the seller says he has the rest of what is needed with the blade. Thanks for your info.

Tom "H" nice pics. I wish my attachments were that clean I am just starting my collection so my stuff has the optional paint scheme white and rust. All straight metal but weather beaten.

Guys a 123 doesn't have QT.
Scott did you get a chance to see if the belt lined up with the idler. I get that the belt was to long. Just asking.

Finally got some time to work on my cub but need some help I have an origanl cub but the problem is I do not have the orignal engine my grand dad up graded to a 10 horse power and diid some other mods to make it fit in. i want to try to get teh Cub back to looking like a 72 or 70 have all the parts for it but the gas tank. What I'm wondering is can I take the square gas tank off and put a smaller one on. like the 70 have. the gas tamk I measureed and is about 88 inches tall the other gas tank that I have measures 6 inches. (gas tank on a 72 cub cadet in use cant take off) would it work or not. and also if any body as one let me know. If it will work I will put an ad in the right section thanks in advance.

Scott my 72 does that once in a great while, I use a plastic screwdriver handle to tap the carb it's, so far, been all I've needed. If that don't do it for you it's either got a piece of junk inbetween the needle and seat or the float may have a hole in it, or like you said badly misajusted.

Latest posts

Back