• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through September 28, 2012

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Keith O - that's a nice 1st Cub. We're here to help so when are you posting pics of the 2md and 3rd Cubs?
I think I see plenty of room in the garage. And if you get feedback about getting others, well, you really need them in case the 1st one breaks down, you need one for each attachment you have, you need one in case you find another attachment, you can't hardly find that model any more, you need one for each season, you need one for the parades, you need one in case the neighbors breaks down (you can't let them use your best one) etc. If you need more reasons to get another one just ask - we got all the answers. Keep us posted on the ones you get.

hi, can someone tell me how i can get the snowthrower on a 1450 to shoot snow farther without the tractor moveing that fast. thank you, Chris W

245896.jpg

This is my cub with the snow thrower on it. Thats my dad,he was pulling my kids on their sleds.I was sick this day so I didnt get to go play
sad.gif

Chris,
With a blower on a 1450 you should run the engine full speed and slow/speedup the tractor with the hydro, and if the throwers housing and shute are rusty you will need to clean them up.

You may also try slip plate or an equivelant graphite type spray, and make sure belts are tight....JMHO

I have a 44c deck with runners and 5/8 pulleys and waterpump bearings and 3 holes for the front lift brackets.
I have a 44c deck with no front runners, and has front wheels. It has rebuilable bearings, 5/8 pulleys and 3 holes for the front lift brackets.
I have a 44a deck with runners and waterpump bearings and 2 holes for lift brackets. It is in use on my 169. Hope this helps.
Ps I also just sold a 149 with a 50c deck that had front runners, 5/8 pulleys and waterpump bearings. I don't know about the holes for lift brackets.

My 169's hydro is getting fixed up!

The pistons and the cylinder measured out to show hardly any wear, but the rings behind the cylinders showed quite a bit of scoring.

Here's the 169's on the left, and the donor 1250's on the right.
245913.jpg

Here's a close up showing the scoring on the 169's rings, the 1250 shows relatively little wear.
245914.jpg

245928.jpg

Got frustrated working on the 100 today. So I went to a local plowing match in hopes of seeing a few garden tractors. No luck! But it was nice to get out in the fresh air and sunshine when it wasn't hiding behind the clouds.

245934.jpg

245935.jpg

These are the two meters I have to use in assisting me in setting the timing using Matts static timing method. I NEED HELP! I did not learn how to use these in school and well, I could use the instruction manuals as TP if I get desperate someday out in the bush, cause they are USELESS!
What setting am I supposed to use on the meters to assist me with the timing?
I was able to find the site hole on the flywheel housing and the two marks "S" & "T" so taht worked out well. I am just NOT grasping the way this test should work. DUH! Where/when am I to set the .020 gap for the points? I am guessing its when neither the "S" or the "T" is showing in the site hole? Matt's instructions are likely VERY good for someone who has done this before, but my pea brain head isn't making sense of it. I need some assistance on this. I tried to Google it to get a video on how to set the points, but only thing I could find was for a Briggs engine and well, it wasn't that good.

a_weep.gif

facepalm.gif

Anyone free tomorrow to come set up my points so I can get my 100 running again? I have BEER!
bash.gif

Marlin,

Naah, The Nightmare isn't for sale. It is the first, and probably the last Cub Cadet that I own. There is too much wrong with it yet and needs too many parts to let it go. It has a duty to confound me with its presence.

The NDSU Bison just crushed Northern Iowa, 33-21. GO Bison!

Mike Patterson: I can tell you how to use the meter, I'll leave it to Matt to explain his timing procedure.

I like the meter in the second picture, looks like a Simpson, I will refer to it in my instructions.

Steps to using an analog Volt-Ohm Meter (VOM) to check for continuity (or resistance):

1. Insert black test lead in the Common Terminal (as shown in photo)

2. Insert red test lead in the Volt/Ohm/<10 Amp position (as shown in photo)

3. Set the meter at the highest Ohm range, which for your meter is marked "Rx10K" for 10,000 Ohms (the smaller meter in the first picture has a "2000K" range). The highest setting will introduce the least current into the circuit, and you won't be measuring K-Ohms anyway, you will be reading for continuity, or zero ohms.

4. Firmly touch the two test leads together and observe the needle: it should jump across the entire range close to zero, or slightly past zero. If the needle fails to move, either you haven't inserted the test leads correctly, or you don't have the dial set for an Ohm range (it is set for Volts or Amps), or your battery is dead/missing. (You need a battery in the meter to test for resistance or continuity; you don't need the battery to test for voltage or current.)

5. If the needle moves, but isn't sitting directly over zero while you are staring straight at it, then adjust the "Ohm Adjust" thumb wheel to get the needle as close to zero as you can. Try to position the meter and your head where it will be when you are testing the unit, you want to avoid "parallelax" where you're viewing the meter from an angle, although for the task at hand, it doesn't really matter, you just want to see the needle move.

6. When you're satisfied with the needle's position at zero, and you feel you have it set so you can see it well while the unit is under test, separate the leads and apply them as desired to the unit under test.

Note: For setting the timing, you want to measure across the points. The points are in series with the negative side of the coil and the engine block, or ground ("earth" if you're in Britain). So when the points are closed, the meter should read at, or VERY NEAR, zero --the only resistance should be the very small resistance in the wire, and any resistance across or through the points themselves. With the meter set at 10 K-Ohms, you shouldn't see any difference, the meter should read the same as when the leads are shorted together, you should be reading "continuity."

Conversely, when the points are open, there should no current to ground, the circuit through the points is open, and the meter should not show any reading at all --the needle should be pointing to infinity.

Again, I'm not sure if Matt's procedure calls for you to check to see when the points open, or when they close; but the meter should tell you what's going on.

Good Luck, hope this helps.
smile.gif

Edit 1: I notice now that the second meter is a Radio Shack knock-off, no matter, it is still a better tool (in my opinion) for checking the timing.

Edit 2: I would love to come help you with the beer, I'm out myself.

Brian W.: You made me chuckle.

I'm not sure if you're punishing your Nightmare, or if your Nightmare is punishing you; but is certainly doesn't deserve the loving, tender care that only Marlin and Cathleen can give it,

not yet, anyway.
smile.gif

HI guys just recently purchased a 982 cub and in the middle of restoring it. everything works perfect just needs a little tlc. Except for the hour meter,showing about 540 hours. Any Ideas

So this is a QL that I have added 6.5 inches to... I want to build a super quiet line... now I need to find a Kubota 640 diesel, a hydro with the output for the rear PTO, fine spline axles, the front axle for a super, and probably a lot more.

245941.jpg

245942.jpg

Jeremiah,

Your statement: "I'm not sure if you're punishing your Nightmare, or if your Nightmare is punishing you."

I guess it depends on the day and the project. When it comes up for sale, I'll put you, Marlin and Harry at the top of the list. You can sell tickets, have a lottery, fight it out or whatever works to get the Nightmare from me. It should be good entertainment.

Brian: About 5 years ago I brought a 129 in here that I decided must have been used as a training model for a shop class. Just about every little gremlin there is lived in it. Little by little I got them out and sold it to a friend who's still happily mowing with it.
On a side note, he left it out the first 2 winters and it really pained me to see it covered with snow - especially when I had to go in the spring to help him get it started. The third winter I asked him if we could make enough room in his cluttered, unused garage to store my 149/tiller. He couldn't very well refuse and in the process we made room for his 129, too. I didn't really need the storage and haven't used it, since, but his 129 now stays parked in his garage when he's not using it.
happy.gif
happy.gif

Chuck Fisher: On April 28, 2004 Dave Kamp posted several picks of what he termed his "Frankenstein" project which employed a frame like yours. His pictures show a motor, but he didn't identify it in his post. I don't even know if he completed it, but I would be curious to learn.

Pictures of Dave Kamp's project in the order in which he posted them:

245953.jpg

245954.jpg

245955.jpg

245956.jpg

245957.jpg

245958.jpg

245959.jpg

245960.jpg

245961.jpg

MIKE P. - I'd rather watch or preferably run a nice old FARMALL M like that than plowing with a CC. The longer 88-90 inch wheel base, taller 60+ inch rear tires spread out 60-70 inches wide make them ride SO much smoother.

A normal CC plow day plowing for an hour or so beats me up worse than plowing with a BIG tractor for 10+ hours!

There's a Plow Day coming up just north of Indy in two weeks that I'd like to go to. It's an every-other year affair. Everything from CC's & Cub Farmalls up to a 7488 will be there. They're hoping to have a MILE LONG row of ALL IH tractors in the furrow at the same time. A row of CC's 40-50, even 60 tractors long makes a HECK of a swath of plowed ground, but nothing like the big newer IH tractors pulling 6-7 bottom plows. After one pass, over half a 160 acre field a mile long is done!

Good morning, All. It is a beautiful Sunday morning here. Only seat time yesterday was using the Keepsake 1650 to run to a garage sale across town to find an old lamp for parts to fix a neighbor's outside post light. I found a freebie for that project. Today another neighbor and his wife are going to help install a new perdon door on a neighbor's garage that last spring's storm took off.

Amy K. That is one nice looking 104. It must have been cold that day the way your Dad is dressed.

Brian W. Sometimes the best things in life just take awhile to achieve happiness with. That Cub Cadet of yours may be that thing.

Jeremiah C. Thank You for the kind words about giving Brian's 1250 a loving home. And I copied your "how-to" use that voltmeter so I can learn how to use one given to me last winter.

Wyatt C. Great pictures showing the differences in wear versus almost new. Somehow if you can do a pictorial of your complete rebuild I am sure that it would find it's wayinto the FAQ section for future reference.

Chuck F. That is one ambitious undertaking that you're doing. While at Dave Kamp's this summer I didn't see that tractor around. Of course if you've ever had a chance to meet Dave and see some of his creations I can say this much. Dave is one heckof a talented and intelligent gentleman with a heart of gold.

Dennis F. Aw come on... An M Versus a Cub Cadet... Are you saying that gusy like us are getting old?
happy.gif

MARLIN - HA-HA... NO WAY... We're just more appreciative of the smoother less jarring ride that the larger tractors give.

The old 70 with it's tiny tires bounces around pretty good going aross the yard some places. The 72 w/23-8.50's on the back rides noticably better, and the 982 much better still with the longer wheel base, wider tread and wider tires frt & rear. But NOTHING like the two FARMALLs with their big tires. Bumps/holes I slow down and creep through with a CC I don't even notice on a FARMALL. Years ago when we had a rutted dirt path out to the hog pastures, mud holes & ruts the FARMALLs would sway a bit when crossing would swallow a CC whole!

Back