• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through September 26, 2007

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cpearson

displayname
Chris Pearson
bash.gif
Help me ! I'm trying to get my 1250 going. I pulled the engine out, unseized the piston( just surface rusted at the very top of the stroke), put it back together. I turned the fly wheel several stokes to assure the valves and piston were free. The fly wheel turned with some resistence but not bad at all. Feeling good about the whole thing, I put everything back together, but the starter just wont turn it over. I even disconnected the bolts on the drive shaft to make sure the rear end wasnt holding it back. Everything seems ok. I took out the starter and it was sluggish at first, but I oiled it up and seemed to work good out of the tractor. I also tried to turn the drive shaft by hand and it will turn, but you need to put some effort into it. Is it normal to have this much resistance? Could the starter be shot?

CHARLIE - Every company has different codes they use, Not sure who makes C/NH's & MTD's belts. I used to have the information about 12-15 yrs ago for Pirelli belts made up there in MN....but it's "MIA" now too. If You have a Motion Indutries outlet close to You and a helpful counter person I'm sure You could figure it out.

Denny, in the case of this belt would the #22848 be the date code???

65809.jpg

KRAIG - Could be....What's that belt for? S/G or ???? I could check at home and see if I have a 376230-R1 and see if it has the same last five digits.

There's also date codes on tires, but they're similarly impossible to decifer without the codes.

Only reason I know about belt shelf life is when My Business Unit got ISO 9001 Certified about 12 yrs ago We had to put FIFO controls into Our system to make sure We didn't send OLD belts out as service parts. I've bought "Old Belts" for cars & trucks before....If You install them in the parking lot of the parts store You "MAY" make it home!

Kinda funny that belts have a "shelf life".

I've driven numerous cars old cars from the 40s-70's that were old crappy cars. I bet some never had the plugs changed.

The belts on them were holding up fine. My '78 F150 has a belts from when I was in high school. No signs of failing yet.

I don't know, Sounds like somebody else just making sure you keep buying stuff you don't need. Just like "change your oil every 3,000 miles" please... I've gone 10,000+ on work truck oil between changes and that motor has 260,000miles on it. Still running good.

I believe in buying the good stuff the first time and sticking with it. Then you don't blow a 6.99 belt every 6 months.

Sorry guys, Just had to rant...

nic

Denny, here are s couple of my S/G belts. One of them has that same code?????

65811.jpg

65812.jpg

Quick Question. Would an "Original Cub" snow blade bolt onto a Model 124 ??

I took a photo of something else the other day and the #2 125 with the newly reconfigured headlights was in the background. Sometimes I think I may have too many photos..... NAW!
happy.gif

65814.jpg

Jay, there were two versions of front blades for the Original, a non-trip version and a spring trip version. Either could be modified to fit a 124 but neither will just "mount up. The spring trip version would more easily fit if you can find a narrow frame subframe and swap that for the Original blade subframe as the blade is the same. The only issue then would be the lift rod bracket on the blade "A" frame. In the drawing below the "sleigh" style subframe, the one with "1962-62", was for the Original. The #22 subframe would be for a model 124. Note the "A" frame #10 has a different lift bracket on it and that it is welded to the "A" frame. The Original lift rod was routed inside the frame rails. The #17 lift bracket was bolted onto the later style "A" frames #16. Hope this all makes sense....... In any case it can be made to fit but it'll take some work.

65816.jpg

65817.jpg

Here's a non-trip style Original blade.

Hmmm, that photo of my #2 125 headlights makes it appear that the headlight on the right (as you set on the tractor) is higher???
blush.gif
It ain't, I had not yet adjusted them and the one on the right is aimed higher. Could also be that the one on the left had been bent back, wonder if that's why the mirror was missing on that side when I bought it...... Sigh, I may have to get a ruler out tonight.....

65819.jpg

Jay, what you have is not an <FONT COLOR="ff0000">I</FONT><FONT COLOR="000000">H</FONT> spec. blade for an Original. Could be home made or made by some obscure manufacturer. Never seen one quite like it.
dunno.gif
May as well have it to make it fit your 124.
lazerburn.gif
happy.gif
Hmmm, looks like it has a built in spring assist.

NIC - I had a '78 F-150 w/300-6 also....but I traded it in TWENTY years ago on an '87. I replaced the matched Pair of fan belts on it too, with belts from My Ford Store, I'm using the old ones on My home-made lawn vacuum I run about every weekend now for several hours. So yes, belts CAN and frequently do last a lot longer than expected. But I've also had cheap autoparts store belts fail in less than a week. I too buy only good parts now. I DO change My oil more frequently than every 10,000 miles however, especially on a vehicle I use for frequent short trips, especially in cold weather.

Don't know why Your Ranting....I'm just stating fact about the ISO program We implemented at a former employer. We're also discussing the same problem where I work now. We use a LOT of o-rings and rubber deteriorates in the presence of Ozone at a pretty fixed rate...rubber also doesn't like sunshine. You can add things to the rubber to slow the deterioration down, but it never stops. Heater & radiator hoses the same thing. Even vinyl electrical wire insulation. At the same company I helped achieve ISO I also Inherited a year's supply of laser-cut vinyl LOGO decals for Our machines that were self-adhesive and already almost 4 yrs old. They had a 1-year shelf life. Yes, They WOULD NOT STICK. But the 28 yr old "IHC" decals I got from FARMALL back in '79 which also had a 1-year shelf life WILL stick, but they're the soak-in-water and slide off the paper backing style, not self-adhesive vinyl.

Also, There's a LOT of difference between what a Person is able to get by with at His own risk and what a company will risk which can and will harm their reputation. Selling shoddy old service parts is Not a good plan. I'm sure You expect decent parts from Your Cub Cadet dealer don't You? So the person buying belts @ MTD better not buy a 10 yr supply!

Thats like finding 25 nuggets of gold Charlie..
yikes.gif

Very interesting on belts and rubber Dennis.
A few more pics. of the 129 rattle can refurb.

I had a couple of "senior moments" during reassembly which incuded forgetting to install the PTO engagement rod prior to the S/G and belt.
crazy.gif
. Others are to minor to mention
dunno.gif
angry.gif
coffee.gif

65831.jpg

65832.jpg

I have had the rear reflectors "shined up" for years and they finally went back on.

65833.jpg

Charlie, do you know if the the 3 pin drive hubs originaly for the older cubs will substitute for the drive hub that is on the 1200? The new hubs for the 1200 are really pricey. I have an extra drive hub from a 100. It seems the 1200's hub is unique. I have also seen the fabricated 3 pin drivers for pullers....would this work for a working machine? $100 for an IH replacement hurts a little. Thanks.

Latest posts

Back