• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through September 26, 2006

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Addition to Steve's Plwo Day Announcement!

Steve said that door prizes are not solicited!

STEVE WON'T BUT I WILL!

So just remember, I removed all your NO SOLICITORS signs and ring your door bells, send emails and bug yer butts to give stuff for guys to win!!!!
41357.gif

Peter S,
These parts are available. You can check with your local Cub Cadet dealer or with the two CC dealers/forum sponsers at the top of the page.

Morning, Quick question, I've got an Original with the K161s 7hp but the motor may be shot. What else will bolt up, I've seen a lot of 8hp's that look like they would work but wasn't sure

Thanks Joe

Joe, the 8hp K181 was the "correct" replacement engine after Kohler quit making the 7hp K161. I don't know if the K181 was offered with different diameter crankshaft output shafts and/or oilpans but you'll want to make sure that the replacement engine you get has the correct diameter crankshaft so that your starter/generator pulley will fit and that it has the flat oilpan.

Thanks Kraig, I'll double check those items. I pulled my 161 down and the connecting rod fell out in 5 parts!

Joe, ouch! If there is no internal damage to the block you should be able to rebuild the K161, might be cheaper in the long run cause ya never know how long that used engine will run......

When I was in high school I had a neighbor that had a 122 that they bought new in the late 1960s. I was driving the tractor through a level lawn and the engine just stopped. I tried to restart it and the starter spun really fast - I knew something big was wrong. I got it to a garage and pulled the head to find the piston at the top of the stroke and motionless. I removed and disassembled the engine tro find that the rod had shattered like glass.

It was an easy rebuild. The cylinder was in great shape so I honed it and installed a new piston and rod. The original owner sold the tractor running 5 years ago.

If that 7 HP is the original engine you may want to think about replacing it. It's nice to have an original engine kept with the tractor, especially one they don't make anymore.

My $0.02

Bob Elliott

Hi Fellas!

Once agiain, I come here looking for expert advice! ;)

I have a 129 that has been loosing hydraulic fluid over most of the Summer season. Although I've kept the HY-TRAN fluid up to the proper level, the unit finally quit moving the tractor forward or reverse.

Now I have a used rearend/trans in a 125 that worked when it was parked 1yr ago. Is it possible to switch the two units out without any custom fabricating?

Thanks in advance!
RWilke
happy.gif

Ryan, sounds to me like you sheared the spirol pin in the drive shaft #4 in the photo below.

41360.jpg

KRAIG, RYAN - The pin that My old 129 always used to spit out was the one on the engine drive coupler....a hose clamp around the pin/coupler cured that.

Question.
What would cause the float to stick in a Carter model 24 carb on my 72.
It will pour gas out the carb throttle body if I park the tractor on either an up hill or down hill slant, but sitting level it dont leak.

Lonny,
Sounds like your needle isn't seating, you know, the little do-hickie thingy that gets pushed up when the float rises.
biggrin.gif

Hello I'm wondering how big the is the piston cylinder wall in inches on a quietline 301 12 hp bored out to .30 over?

Charlie,thanks for the input.Working double secret overtime this week so my project time is cut way down.Anyway,pulled the head off the 128 and found heavy carbon deposits mostly in the exhaust valve area.Is it possible that the accumulation over a 2-hour heavy load run period could lead to restricted exhaust flow;enough to cause hard starting?Any input from the motor gurus?Thanks guys;the whitetails are waiting for the food plots to go in!
beerchug.gif

Bobby B,
I kinda doubt it. BUT, you might try putting some MMO(Marvel Mystery Oil) in and see if that helps. While you have the head off, you just as well clean things up really well too. And don't forget to put a new head gasket on!

Charlie,tried MMO this last tank full,may have been too little too late.I only ran the tractor around the yard at low RPM prior to this event,I don't know how the PO used it.A complete cleaning and new head gasket it is!Sure turns over with easy with the head off though...LOL!Thanks!

Ryan, I picked up a 147 from a guy who said it just quit moving one day while he was mowing the yard.Brought it home ,looked underneath,and found the rear coupling shredded.Sat in his yard for 2 months!Good luck!

Thanks for the replies, Fellas! :D

I'll check the roll pins at both ends of the driveshaft and the rag joint tomorrow AM. Although I've got a feeling that the problem is deeper than that, but (hopefully) I'm wrong! ;)
I'll be back here with what I determine...

'Til Tomorrow Gents!
RW
happy.gif

Latest posts

Back