• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through September 26, 2006

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlang

displayname
John Lang
David Johnson, Welcome to the IH cub cadet site on your first posting!
happy.gif

See the last page for an answer to your question.

David: Some people have all the luck hope you got a big shop, tinkering on these old Cub's is just toooo much fun! Owned both gear and Hydro and both have performed well. Used a 1450 for years before the 782 plowed, tilled, pushed snow fine. Just that the 782 did it a little easier!

Update on the 1000 guys, got it degreased, washed, starting to wet sand the paint now. Talking to a few of our venders and been helped a lot. Got my Dad (78 yrs. old) making a parts run for me Wed. Yep been taking pics. as I go.

Miss the old gardening days a lot but since my wifes stroke the my heart hasn't been in to it. But, love seeing all your guys pictures, so keep them coming.

Pops

KRAIG - You missed a BARGAIN at My Dad's auction three months ago.... He had thirty tomatoe cages made from concrete reinforcing wire like You use.... You could have bought the whole pile for $20.
biggrin.gif
. You could have had Charlie haul them home.....

Denny, dang! I could have used some more cages. Or I need to cut back on how many plants I plant.
happy.gif

David J:

First, I also welcome you to the Forum.

I will address your inquiry about front Hydraulics to the Q/L Cubs. That feature was optional for the Q/L's and somewhat rare to find. It can be installed as an aftermaerket type of installation. Attached is a Parts breakdown of that option.
41335.jpg

Usually you can find these options on places like Ebay. You can expect to see them for about ~$250.00.
The Ported Pump on the Hydro is the same for the single as well as the dual hydraulics.

All,
I mentioned a week or two ago that there was some play in the shaft that the tiller tines are attached to. The play is indicated by the yellow arrows in photo 1:
41337.jpg

Well, I found that the nuts that hold the bearings tight to the chain housing were loose. See yellow arrow in photo. The bearings themselves were tight as a teenager, so to speak, so no worries there. (interesting how the bearing is held in place by the two flanges)
41338.jpg

Since the bearings were loose, there was sludge/crud built up from what I gather is a combination of dirt and oil. see blue arrow.

QUESTION: Was there a gasket between the flange and the housing or was there a gasket behind the cap the surrounds the flange? It's so old, everything is breaking up and I can't tell. If gaskets are needed and not available, will permatex do?

Also, is the collar that snugs against the bearing non-concentric (like the collar on the front of a PTO? See yellow arrow in next photo.
41339.jpg

Fall harvest of the pumkins, squash and water mellons.
41344.jpg

41345.jpg

Come and get what you want before I have to toss them in the the pile of what was lost to the killing frost we had last week.
41346.jpg

Terry B.
To answer your question from the last page.
Yes, I planted the sweetcorn patch just to use my cub.
In fact the only reason I plant such a large garden is because I have cubs and the attachments to do so with.
Belive me, I would not be out there doing this all with a walk behind bone shaking tiller or planting all that sweet corn by hand, thats why I purchased one of John Langs single row corn planter for.
Next year I am thinking of either reduceing my garden or doubling it in size. Aint made up my mind on that one just yet.

Kraig.
Thanks for the complement on the plow & disk job.

Craig E -

We have that section for a reason, I have moved your question there.

My steering gear on my 1650 fell apart today. Not in the way I would expect though. It still steered just fine. The tube that covers the steering shaft pulled out of the casting. This rendered the hydraulics unuseable.

Is this tube just pressed into the casting? it was compressing the foam washer between the steering wheel and top of the tube whenever I pulled the lift lever.

How can I get it to stay back into the bottom cast piece? Can I shim the top with washers to eliminate the free space? Or should I drill and tap a couple screws into the bottom of the casting to go throught the tube also to hold it down in there? New steering gear?

Thanks for any help. Jason

Steve B,
Actually the photo lab was in Norway Illinois. I think the IH Hinsdale test farm is now in the city limits of Burr Ridge. Lots of "International" references all over the place. Will gather some photos as time permits.

Hey guys; a quick engine question!After running my 128 for about an hour pulling a disc harrow,tractor became hard to start,as in maybe too much compression to turn over.After cooling off about two hours,it was still tight but it did start and ran fine.After shut down,it again became hard to turn over.Should I look for valve train problem or ACR?

Thanks Charlie,

I rebuilt the gear about 2 years ago. so this is the second time out. I never knew of this problem until today and it seemed tight when i had it out before. I think I am going to try to screw the lil' bugger down.

Just remember, if you don't drill a small pilot hole, you'll probably just push the tube it or strip out the aluminum housing.

Plow Day Announcement:

41351.jpg

Looks like the beans will come off within the next 4-10 days...they look like pretty good beans too, but suffered some hail damage (13%) last Friday.

Charlie made a good point the other day....I had completely forgotten to mention the door prize situation. There will be a door prize drawing, just like all of the past years. If you have a door prize to donate, please bring it along and add it to the door prize table at registration.

Door prize donations are Free Will and are not solicited, so don't think it has to be a big production, it's as simple as "I brought these for the door prize".

I just heard that these will be on the prize table....

41352.jpg

Friday night plowing will be at a smaller field about 3/8 mile north of the main field. We will all assemble at the main field, then caravan down for the night plowing, make 2-3 rounds and then caravan back. If you plan on night plowing, please try to be as prepared as possible for plowing away from "home base" (fuel up, bring wrench, etc.) It would also probably be good to get there at or before 5:30-6:00pm to allow time for unloading, etc.

After the Friday evening plowing we will have food, probably stew and/or chilli, and some time for BS'ing etc. at the farm.

The local 4-H will have the food stand as in years past and there will also be a donation can to help offset the costs of the porta potty, etc.

Please register if you plan to attend, and we look forward to seeing you all on the 21st.

Hi guys
I was hoping someone could help me. On my 149 the rear output shaft of the hydo unit (sits above the rearend)Has started leaking at the seal. Where can I get one of these seals? Also as I am trying to get my snowthrower in shape for this up coming winter. I noticed both bearings on the angle drive are shot. Once again where can I get these Thanks Pete

Latest posts

Back