• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through September 22, 2010

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Joseph B, I use Non deterngent SAE 10 motor oil. make sure you get the non detergent otherwise air bubbles will occur and that will affect the lifting and lowering. you can also use hy-tran, which is stated in the manual.hope this helps!

Okay, I am not sure what has helped solve the issue, but it seems to be getting better. I tore the carb down and looked for any signs of dirt. There was none. Actually everything looked really clean. The odd thing is this tractor has the old fashioned glass fuel filter, which did have some junk in it that I did clean out. I did make some minor adjustments on the screws. Marvel mystery oil might have really helped out, I did dump some in the fuel, I have not changed the oil yet, but plan on that yet this afternoon.

I ran the tractor for a good hour or so going up and down the road as well us up and down the hill next to the house. It never did bog down, but did come to almost a stop before I had to give the hydro some more lever, then it went up with no problem and this was with the PTO engaged. I have another hill that goes down by the water behind the house and that is roughly a 40 degree grade. It did stall on the way up, but did refire and get the rest of the way up, although with no PTO engaged.

It seems the geared tractor is better for the steeper inclines. My 128 will go right up the incline by the water with no problems, of course I do have it in creeper gear.

Here is another theory I have: The 42" deck that is on the 149 seems to be a little noisy, the center pully was replaced not terribly long ago according to the PO and it does look like new. The other two bearings seem to be noisy. Could those bearings being tired and the motor not being new, be pulling the motor down and causing just too much power for the tractor to make it up the hill with the hydro? The 42" deck on my 128 is not very noisy and goes up the hill next to the house in second gear with out ever an issue. The deck on the 128 is very rough though. Maybe I will be switching out the bearings on the decks over the winter.

Now it really makes me wonder which will be the better tractor for the snow thrower. My plan was to put the thrower on the 149 and the blade on the 128. I have no incline on my drive at all. We average about 160 inches of snow, so it will get its workout, but normally the snow is light and fluffy, so it will throw easy.

I appreciate eveyone helping and giving me ideas. That is what makes these forums fun and helpful.

Todd I., I guess we've beaten this pretty much to death. But I noted you mentioned a different engine on ur rig, a K301 which is 12hp instead of 14hp. Also years back there was a discussion about hydro-trans power loss due to the nature of hydraulics..think it was 1 or 2 hp. And ur also driving a 42" deck with maybe bad bearings. Combined, maybe why your 12hp gear job goes up hill better!. JMHO. . .A.

Todd I, I'm with Steve B., I think your problems are fuel related. Soak that carb and then blow it out. Just looking at it doesn't mean there is not some gunk up in the tubes. Put in a new kit and make sure the float is properly adjusted. Put on a new fuel line if it is rubber. Check the timing with a timing light. Unless your 12hp. is REALLY tired there should be no problem with it running up the grade you describe even running the deck with bad bearings. My pretty tired K-301 could probably pull a stump on the way up even with your deck. My point is these Kohlers are simple engines. De-carbon like others have said, new head gasket and following the advice given your engine should run fine unless things like valve/governor problems are the culprit.

Like Matt G. said, eliminate all other problems one by one and you will find your answer.

Good luck!

I've gotten sidelined on the 149 refurbish after obtaining this.. https://www.ihcubcadet.com/forum/messages/46301/213482.html?1285106613

I'm thinking yeller and white wouldn't look bad!!

buttrock.gif

Here is some photos of the new to me 149 and the QA42A
213620.jpg

213621.jpg

213622.jpg

Thrower is on the 149 pretty much ready for the snow. Next summer I will tear it down and redo it 100%.

Wow Todd, your 149 is in great shape with little rust.
greenthumb.gif

I do hope you overcome the engine problem.

Hello I am Joe new to the IH cub Cadet community. I have 2 1650, 1 1810, 1 1100 and 1 1250, I also have the rements of a 149 and I think a 1811 I believe. I am constantly working on one or the other and just wanted to get aquainted with everyone on the board. Right now I mow the yard with the 1810 and a 50 inch deck. I 1650 I use for garden and driveway work. the others I have just purchased or started working on and am in the process of fixing them. Right now I need the lift lever or as I call it the cast steel lift arm that mounts in the frame on the rear of my other 1650 I am going to restore it! My 1250 is in need of a lot of work no motor and the 1100 also but it runs. I know there is a lot of knowledge here that I need and would appreciate very much. I hope my post is correct 1st time to post.
Thank you Joe

Just wanted to let you guys know my charging problem was the ignition key. Bought a new one tonight, installed it, started and instant charge! Thanks for the help.

Anyone got their winter "set up" ready yet? Would like to see some pictures of people's set ups' for blowing or plowing snow. I kinda got the itch to get a tractor/blower/cab for winter. Would have to sell off the walk behind blower though, wife would kill me if I had both!!

Latest posts

Back