• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through September 20, 2008

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kide

displayname
Gerry Ide
With no offense to the red machines which are pretty darn good, (but not as good looking as a 1x9), I really think anything produced celebrating the 50th anniversary should be yeller and white, using the same paint color formulas as an "O"...Most people associate Cubs with that set of colors

Kendell, I will have to agree on the yeller/white paint. Most folks say "ohh yea that old yellow and white mower, thats a cub cadet".

Also, they might as well remember what got them started...A.K.A the gear drive
draw.gif

I guess the easiest thing would be, for every forum member to send in photos of their cubs. As a testament to the durabilaty of these great machines.

Does anyone have any concrete information on the 50th Anniversary Celebration? Is there a definite place and time? Does MTD have any plans to produce a special 50th Anniversary model Cub Cadet? I've read a lot of hopes and wishes here, but is anyone associated with MTD listening or reading? Is there a way we can write MTD (Cub Cadet) directly, and maybe send remarks from this forum to them?

As far as my wishes for a special anniversary model, it would be nice to see a yellow and white model with all the bells and whistles, but "retro" styling and quality like the IH models. If something like that is planned by MTD, it would be nice to let the Cub Cadet fanatics know ahead of time so we can put orders in. I don't think they'd be cheap, and it might take some planning by some of us to be able to make that once in a lifetime purchase.

I hope the celebration and the special model come to fruition.

John-David Reaves
ROLL TIDE

J-D Reaves- Yes, if I remember right, MTD contacted Charlie, and told him they were contemplating a 50th celebration, and that they did moniter the site, and were wondering if we could come up with ideas. Also to see what kind of interest we would show for the project.
Most everything on this thread is just ideas and wishful thinking, and hoping they might take some of the ideas to heart, so if you got an idea put it in here, ya never know.

Thanks Curtis. To preface my remarks, I just attended Mayberry Days in Mt. Airy, NC. I looked forward to it very much, but the reality was disappointing. I will take the lessons from that experience and address them to whatever MTD planners are monitoring this site.

The 50th Anniversary Celebration should be well adveritsed - nationally. People have to have lead time to make reservations and travel plans, plan time off from work, and finish up special projects for this event. Events should be planned out so that everyone has an opportunity to participate or attend, meaning again, there has to be communication and the event site(s) have to be large enough to accomodate the people attending.

I would incorporate a visual and written history (maybe a book - exclusively about Cub Cadets) of Cub Cadet, using participant and company displays of all the models from the Original to todays models. Of course, there should be a parade, with national news media outlets invited, and various Cub Cadet models should be driven in the parade, mabye pulling floats or wagons/carts. Invitations to local high school and college bands should be sent, with the incentive of being shown on national TV. Concerts, movies, dances, and the ability to mingle and talk with MTD execs, workers, planners, etc, would be greatly appreciated - everyone needs to be involved in some way. MTD agreeing to incorporate some of the most promising suggestions from participants into future models would be the Holy Grail to some of us?

There has to be something to occupy people at all times. Women, children, and the men, should all have something to do - being bored is not what one wants to remember! Tours of the assembly plant, garden tractor pulls, garden tractor races, Cub related arts and crafts sales, trade booths, trading and sales of Cub Cadets (local licenses made available - if necessary), mechanical how-to and show-me clinics by the mechanics at MTD or members of the Cub Cadet community. MTD could preview future models and provide opportunities for everyone to try out today's new machines.

If there is a Special Anniversary model, it should be shown at the event. Let everyone get a look, a chance to salivate over it, and place an order.

My idea of a Special Anniversary model would be to reintroduce one of the Super Garden Tractors of the 90's, with hydro, diesel, full deck/front/rear hydraulics, metal hood instead of the plastic originals, 50th graphics, three point or category 0 hitches, etc, in yellow and white. I doubt MTD would reproduce an IH model, but they have the tooling and equipment to build a 90's model Super.

I want to participate, but I need feedback in order to do that, as does everyone else. Please, if anyone from MTD is monitoring, just let us know and give us some comments on what things you are looking at and which things are not going to be done.

John-David Reaves
ROLL TIDE

John-David Reaves (Jdreaves)

My idea of a Special Anniversary model would be to reintroduce one of the Super Garden Tractors of the 90's, with hydro, diesel, full deck/front/rear hydraulics, metal hood instead of the plastic originals, 50th graphics, three point or category 0 hitches, etc, in yellow and white. I doubt MTD would reproduce an IH model, but they have the tooling and equipment to build a 90's model Super.
well now if they built a tractor like this i would get out my check book. I bought an atv in 2001 that was over $11000 with a few extras and it now just sets in my shed. A garden tractor with what you listed would make me buy 1. bring it on. Later Don T
animatedihbear.gif

well,for a cub cadet 50th anniversary i would like to see MTD produce a 50th anniversary edition lawn tractor.even though my birthday is 2-29-76,i rember well my grandfathers "The Sprirt Of 76"....of course this was the bicentennial but i think that a special tractor is at hand for all who kept the cadet in business and maybe something to keep a hold of some time down the road. and a few things at a celebration could be.......ok,a chili cook-off and that person [winner] could win THAT first tractor made available to the public,or of this nature. tractor riding & competition events a must and for children of certain age.adward ceremonies,HISTORY DISPLAYS,deals on the new cadet line-up for all who attend the celebration only as well as a lesser deal advertised on t.v. and maybe a restored IH CUB CADET could be a door prize also.just trying to do my part here because iam into my 2 IH'S and to all my fellow friends here at this club.thank-you.

Good Morning All. Just an update. I've been in contact with a territory manager about the 50th anniversary celebration and the postings on BOTH sights. At this time all I can and will say is that this gentleman is glad that I stated some concerns that have been expressed by members of both Cub Cadet sites. Although he also like us can only do so much he is willing to see if he can get a little more activity on both sites from MTD/Cub Cadet people.

Perhaps this is out of place of me if so I apologize in advance and will take the
bottom.gif
. I also asked if he could try to help jump start some dealer/company sponsorship/participation of some of the more major Plow Day events held through out the country.

Marlin H.
A little more activity from the sites?
Every Cub Cadet site out there has been talking about it from when the word first came out. And NOTHING from ANYONE will confirm or deny anything in public.
I too have talked to the team leaders that are in charge of logistics and NONE of them will commit to anything even remotely relevant to anything that can or will be happening for the event.
So that being said, I think it's TIME for them to step up and say SOMETHING.
biggrin.gif

Charlie P. THANK YOU!!!
happy.gif
I posted that so that maybe those good people @ MTD/Cub Cadet would start taking the hint.

BOY, This forum got some activity lately. Even though I'm much more of an IH and specifically FARMALL person than a Cub Cadet person, I think MTD is having to wait a bit to see where the economy heads after the first of the year. With new Leadership in the BIG house that made a lot of promises, if things improve, Stock market picks up, and if Hundreds of Thousands of UAW Members are still employed I think MTD will do the right thing.

Every company now days is operating in a "LEAN MODE", and purse strings have been tightened, I bet there isn't more than one, maybe two people even working on this project part-time. As the time gets closer it will become a priority.

Hi, Dennis. I agree about the cutbacks. Our company has cutback big time also. However, I feel that even one or two people could take a couple of minutes and participate. Yes, there is a lousy economy. The way it appears it isn't going away soon. Talk of the 50th anniversary celebration started before the economy went sour. Should it stay bad and no one knows then for some it may take two years planning and saving just to attend a celebration if it is held several states from their home. I do agree though that time will tell if they decide to step up to the plate. MTD/Cub Cadet could begin to encourage some dealers to particiapte/co-sponsor Plow Day events. Then maybe use some of that participation in advertisements. I remember years back when the Magnums were first introduced. A local farmer bought one and the CASEIH company used his testimonial on his Magnum's virtues in an ad. Sure they didn't pay him for his testimonial... however in a little under a year he received a coupon for a "real good deal on a new Magnum". With the introduction of the Cub Cadet/Yanmar line.... well... field demonstrate some of those little guys...
Shift.gif

MARLIN - I agree a little "Quality" marketng does a world of good...Get the name in front of the people instead of this stupid jumping dear thing I keep seeing. I know IHC was always VERY vocal about how well the new red tractors sold in whatever county Waterloo, IA is in.

Maybe MTD is doing the SAME Thing My MOM used to do 40 yrs ago when I was in High School and would ask a week in advance to do something.... Her answer was always "We'll See" and no amount of flattery would get the answer to chance to even a "Maybe" because She knew that many times things came up that would make it impossible, or maybe a Better Offer would come up.

If We're patient I'm sure We'll hear good news.

I think it would be so cool to have a good showing of all the attachments that IH had available over the years. But then again, this is only my third post
proud.gif

Dennis, Your very right bout the "quality" marketing. A LOT of people I know think MTD when they hear Cub Cadet now. Even though they still have some quality machines the MTD part tells them box store junk. I think they should bring back the "International" Cub Cadet name for starters. The only thing that jumping sheep has is a name. I know a JD collector that never been around Cub Cadets till I brought mine around. He will agree that they are built better than any JD. His tractor he works though is a International 434.

BRENDAN - Back in '63 when Dad bought His first CC, an "Original" One of the first neighbors to stop in and look it over was a drive train engineer for green combines down in East Moline, IL. He looked it over for ten minutes, really close. I don't know if He'd already seen JD's first attempt at a garden tractor or not.....but His comment was: I'll never buy a JD L&G tractor until they make something as good as this!" He ended up BUILDING one of His own, had a big cast iron 1-cyl. Wisconsin engine on it...and a transaxle from a BIG JD combine. They mowed their house yard & barnyard for a LOT of years with that machine. Finally after 20-25 yrs when His son started farming the place They got a green L&G tractor for His wife to mow with. Funny thing was Dad was still mowing most of the time with a CC 70 He bought new in 1965, traded the CCO for it.

Case/IH tried to resurrect the FARMALL name with their compact diesel utility tractors several years ago. I've looked at them at My local C/IH dealer, nice little tractor, probably as good as any brand made, but whether it's red, or blue, or orange, or an orangish shade of red, or green the whole idea of a small 4WD compact utility tractor with a loader still isn't what a FARMALL was all about back in 1926. The marketing attempt was not a raging success.

I think since MTD is still trying to attract the same customer base that made the early IH Cub Cadet so successful, They will have better success. Since I suspect they're "Watching" I'd suggest they look at IH Trucks new "LONE STAR" for design influence. Make the 50th anniv. model look like a 70/100 or maybe 122/123. Also GM, FORD, & Chrysler have used this "modernized Classic Look" in the Challenger, Mustang, & Camero with success. And after the 50th anniv. is over this model can continue as the Premium line to help amortize tooling expense. I really don't like this aerodynamic, rounded look of today's L&G tractors, Why make something aerodynamic that only travels 6-8 mph?
dunno.gif

DENNIS-i too would like to see another 70/100 or a 122.ect. i would like to see what type of "goodies" we would have for it. since i dont know much about the new cubcadets of today. but what ever that may be, i dont think it would be too hard for a anniversary model to be made. and why not a garden tractor that could preform like our IH cubcadets?

The laws now for "Consumer Protection" are a lot more strict now than in 1961, or in the case of the 70/100, in 1964, but something rather simple, tough, durable, made of ALL STEEL, not a cheap disposable plastic trimmed toy would be what was needed. They'd have to add the safety features and modern emission compliant engines, but forget all the gimmicks and features that don't add value that will be "NLA" in the parts books in five to seven years.

MTD has always tried to improve on weaknesses in the original CC's, like their front axle splindle improvements, the driveshaft shock absorbers kinda like a Love-Joy coupling, larger diameter and finer spline rear axles... Maybe they could figure out how to make a TORQUE AMPLIFIER like the BIG FARMALL's had. Something that reduced ground speed about 1/3 for mowing tough spots or slowing for turns. That's kinda an IHC ICON.

MTD is still buying most of the parts to build something like this tractor, and the engineering work is all done on the rest. Make it look similar but more modern than a 40 yr old CC with updated sheetmetal and I bet they'd sell them. It wouldn't be a Cheap tractor, probably sell for $4000-$5000 with a 45-50 inch mower included.

in my opinion,as well as having a durable tractor,i believe that having a variety of implements is what makes a tractors value. my "other tractor" is good for only one thing,cutting grass...which it does a good job at. a saftey feature that i hope i dont see on a tractor is a button to depress which would keep the mower blades spinning just to cut in reverse. what an inconvenience that is.

Latest posts

Back