• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through September 09, 2016

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey thanks Charlie...Earl Ford...Super thing if you could document your work on your QA42A...I think I have the basic idea in detail of how to go about changing out the auger bearings, but seeing how it's done is priceless..My QA42A has not ever seen much use at all..I'm not sure how old it is, but will presume it was built in the 70s..Even though it original and hasn't seen much snow, I would think that the grease in those sealed auger bearings has dried up by now..I want to avoid having a failure when there is a foot of snow on the ground and below freezing with the wind howling! I bought the thrower late last year and decided I'd get through the winter with the push plow mounted on my 126..It worked out pretty well..Loaded the tires with 5 gallons of -20 windshield washer fluid and mounted 2 link chains..Combined with my size, the 126 barely broke traction pushing through deep snow going up hill....I think that throwing the snow out of the path of the tractor will be a better all around method of cleaning the snow out of the drive and parking area..

I'll look forward to seeing your documentation.

Does anyone have a URL to a parts diagram for the QA42A thrower, or have a manual copy they could perhaps post here?

Thanks
John Mitchell

John, first thing I would do is replace the chain to the auger if it is all dried out and rusty.
If it is, chances are that will be the 1st thing to fail once you get it working and WHEN YOU NEED IT!!
Keep it lubed up with some chain lube.
\Any implement dealer can fix you up w/a new chain with the proper size and number of links as well as a new connector link. TIP: get a couple extra connector links, you will probably need them eventually if you drop one in the snow!!

Ask me how I know all this!!
bash.gif

Attachments

• bash.gif
    bash.gif
    904 bytes · Views: 128
John M.
The Parts Lookup above has the parts diagram, and the manuals section here on the forum has the manual for the QA42A.

I found this breather hole open and full of the dreaded dirt dauber mess. It cleaned up rather well but I'm wondering what to do now. Should I just leave it alone or try and protect it somehow?

308988.jpg

The bottom was closed off so I don't know if any of the debris got into the rearend.

Any suggestions???

Attachments

• 308988.jpg
    308988.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 129
  • 308988.jpg
    308988.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 115
Wayne S.
Find something like the carb filter screen doubled up, shape it into and PVC pipe cap shape and use some JB weld or epoxy to hold it in place, after you insert it in the hole. BTDT
That breather hole serves a purpose ya know. Even though most have been painted shut over the years, LOL
308990.jpg

Attachments

• 308990.jpg
    308990.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 119
  • 308990.jpg
    308990.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 130
Thanks Doug for the info. We get a fair amount of heavy wet snow so I think I'll leave them off too. My previous snow thrower didn't have them and it worked fine. I just painted the inside of the shoot with black graphite paint. I've had good luck with that in the past.

Thanks Charlie-

I wasn't sure what to do but figured I should do something.

Good idea with the screen!

FINALLY!!!

308994.jpg

308995.jpg
greenthumb.gif

Attachments

• 308994.jpg
    308994.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 119
  • 308995.jpg
    308995.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 113
  • greenthumb.gif
    greenthumb.gif
    8.3 KB · Views: 120
  • greenthumb.gif
    greenthumb.gif
    8.3 KB · Views: 115
  • 308995.jpg
    308995.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 117
  • 308994.jpg
    308994.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 125
Wayne,if it is a gear drive and closed off as you say I would leave it alone,if it is a hydro and the hole is open to the inside of the tranny,Charlie has the right idea.

Latest posts

Back