• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through September 17, 2019

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rthomley

displayname
Ron Thomley
Austin, you are correct it measures
4 1/2 on mine. Tried to send pic, but I don't think it went.

Charlie, thanks for the great service.
Got one starter/generator working. I'll fix other later

nice parts Tom.But....
You posted em in the wrong section
I'm sure Digger will be along soon to help you out....
crash.gif

Thanks Ron,
I need to know that to make sure I had converted my cylops subframe into working for a WF. Which works how I want it now.

So now that I fixed my run only on choke with a better AM carb, new coil, new consdenser, and new fuel shutoff. My engine now runs better, but I put the throttle to half way and it sounds like its going past 3600 rpms, How do I adjust so it stays near 3600 rpm?

Austin, you cannot guess at those rpms, you'll need a tachometer. There are a few choices, but I think the cheapest is the one from Briggs and Stratton. I haven't looked but I'll bet CCS has'em too.

Briggs vibra-tach, or Amazon optical tach.....only way to know for sure.

Since it is Friday, and everyone is sleeping....
biggrin.gif

Thanks Charlie, for sending some of that cool air my way!

It was 50 degrees this morning, and it felt so good.
Have you had any snow yet?
lol.gif

Were the front axles made out of cast iron or cast steel? I'm going to do the spark test, but I wan't know anyways. I got to weld up the belt cuts, as theres two cuts about an inch deep.

AUSTIN- frt axle is cast iron. In the WHOLE U S of A there's only about eight (8) foundries that sand cast carbon steel alloys. I worked for one of them. There's many more that COULD sand cast carbon steel castings but don't. Foundry I worked for had three 10 ton carbon arc melting furnaces, the 10 ton is nominal, they could pour 22,000 to 24,000# of metal when needed. We did a LOT of work for General Dynamics, M1 tank parts, CAT was another big customer. I found out several years after I left there that an open die forge shop also made a forged and machined shock absorber body that we cast in steel. It was almost a foot in diameter and just over 4 feet long.
Not near as many cast steel parts as you would think in the world. IH had lots and lots of foundries, and not a single one cast steel or aluminum, and only one in Waukesha, Wi cast Ductile iron, also known as nodular iron. Everything was gray iron. Their Louisville foundry was their biggest, but also had big iron foundries in Memphis, and Indianapolis. Also had a steel forge shop in LVL, and they had a row of seldom used STEAM HAMMERS that also closed die forged parts in the most violent manner I ever saw at the Canton, Illinois plant! I saw a couple steam hammers working at Interstate South-West in Navasota, Texas, now known as Ellwood Forge -Navasota, owned by Ellwood City Forge in Ellwood City PA, a big open die forge shop.
As for welding your gray iron frt axle, it can be done, but I think finding a used axle with no grooves would be best. The carbon in the gray iron forms a hard layer next to the weld bead which makes the casting brittle.

Dennis F,
Thanks for that info!, yea finding a nice axle is the main goal if I can find one in my area. But anyways since I'm going to be using this winter and have a backup axle.

Dennis,

A bit of an aside on your foundry post. I drive by the Indianapolis Foundry daily on my commute to work. That facility was huge, 92 Acres. The last big assignment that foundry had was pouring and building the 6.9/7.3IDI, T444E/7.3PSD, VT365/6.0PSD, Maxxforce 8/6.4PSD used in International Medium Duty Trucks and Buses, and in the Ford Pickups and Vans. That plant started winding down production in late 2007, early 2008 when Ford decided to go In-House with 6.7PSD that was released in the 2010 Model Year. After engine production was stopped, they used the facility as a collection and referb location for International Semi Tractors as they would come in from lease. There were hundreds of tractors sitting in what was one of the huge employee parking lots. Over the last year, they started demolition of the facility, including the old foundry buildings (which took a long time with how sturdy they were constructed) and they are just now finishing up. It's now one huge gravel "parking lot" that was just listed for sale this week, which is why I know the 92 acre size. They also did the same to the huge Ford plant that used to be around the corner. Sad to see something that truly helped to build America reduced to an empty lot.

SCOTT - I watched IH's East Moline Combine plant I worked at for six weeks during a lay-off from Farmall get the last few truck loads of buildings knocked down, cleaned up and hauled away back in 2006. Most of Farmall has been taken down. My Sister managed to get me a FARMALL BRICK, guess they disappeared almost as fast as they could tear the walls down. We're going through the same thing here in Wisconsin too. General Motors bought the SAMPSON Tractor Company in Stockton, Ca. in 1917, and in 1918 bought Janesville Machine Company in Janesville, Wi. and merged both companies into the Janesville Plant in 1919 till 1923 when they abandoned farm equipment production. GM built Sampson trucks till 1923 when they changed the name of them to Chevy & GMC. They built pickups, Suburbans, and medium duty trucks, mostly the special 4-door variety, till the General decided to close the plant in 2008. They started demolition about 2-3 years ago. They had a special relocation ceremony this weekend for the cornerstone of the plant to celebrate the 90 year history of the plant.
I'm just a little worried where our grandkids are going to work. When I worked at Farmall, I had 3500 co-workers. Read a news story a week ago about the Case/IH tractor plant in Racine, Wi. They also build the New Holland sister brand tractor, total plant employment is less than 400 people. They BUY almost everything.

326775.jpg

Got a nice brochure from a friend yesterday! First one I've ever had. Pretty nice shape from an old popular mechanics.

Austin, you could always fab up a steel tubular front axle like some do for their loaders.
I work for Dura Bar, we do continuous cast iron in many grey and ductile grades. In round and rectangular varieties too. I've thought about buying a chunk and machining for the heck of it if I ever got a milling machine.

Earl,
If you know what to do w/a mill, come on over and use mine.
Who knows, I may even learn something.
We are still working on it though, hope to order a DRO for it soon!!

Earl, nice score on the brochure! I always liked that one with the photo of the 100 launching off of the curb.
happy.gif

326777.jpg

That's pretty cool. They don't make 'em like they used to. I bet they wouldn't dream of advertising anything like that today.
err.gif

PSA:

For those of us who post here on the forum and are also members of the IH Collector's Club, it is with a heavy heart to share this sad news.

Charter member, past National President and long time editor of Harvester Highlights, Mr. Darrel Darst, passed away unexpectedly this past Saturday, Sept 21st. Please keep his family in your thoughts and prayers.

Back